Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 121 of 245
    We are currently experiencing high volumes of iPhone orders and may require up to 1 minutes to access your AT&T account information. In order to maintain the priority of your order, please remain on this page.

new message.. they keep adding text.. round 5.. ATT and APPLE fail again.. and we'll all still come back until we get the new phone.
  • Reply 122 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and select partners began taking pre-orders of its new iPhone 4S smartphone early Friday ahead of its October 14th launch date, though some outlets, including Apple's own online store, ran behind schedule.

The Cupertino, Calif., iPhone maker initiated advance sales of the iPhone 4S early Friday, slightly later than originally promised. For those unsure whether they are eligible for an upgrade, Apple offers customers the ability to check eligibility with its three wireless carrier partners in the U.S.

Verizon and Sprint began offering pre-orders on their websites on Friday, though AT&T has yet to begin sales on its website. Vodafone in the U.K. has also started pre-orders of the handset. The 16GB, 32GB and 64GB iPhone 4S models sell for $199, $299 and $399, respectively, with a 2-year contract in the U.S.

The new handset will launch on Oct. 14 in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the U.K. Customers will be able to purchase the device from the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores, select Apple Authorized Resellers and participating wireless operators.

Apple is pursuing its fastest international roll-out ever for the iPhone. Following the initial roll-out, the new handset will arrive in 22 more countries later this month. The company expects to sell the device in 70 countries on 100 carriers by the end of 2011.

The iPhone 4S was unveiled at an Apple media event on Tuesday. The handset features the same external design as the iPhone 4, while sporting improved internals, such as the A5 processor, a 8-megapixel camera and a re-designed antenna. Apple is also touting the Siri voice assistant feature available exclusively on the new smartphone.

According to All Things D's Ina Fried, Apple plans to offer an unlocked version of the iPhone 4S, though the company has yet to announce pricing. However, Apple warns in the fine print on its website that CDMA functionality is only available on the handset if it is "sold and activated for use on a CDMA network."

Apple will likely have bolstered its servers in preparation for crushing pre-order demand. Last year, the company experienced a meltdown with its online store and phone lines due to overwhelming customer interest in pre-ordering the iPhone 4.

Total pre-order sales are expected to outstrip last year's record, given that 16 months have passed since the iPhone 4 was released and Sprint and Verizon are generally believed to have pent up demand among their subscribers. Though Verizon began selling the iPhone 4 in February, recent surveys have suggested that many of the carrier's subscribers have been waiting for the release of a new iPhone.

Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities believes the fifth-generation iPhone will "shatter" sales records set by the iPhone 4 last year.

Apple's Does Not work at all!!!

Steve would be unhappy
  • Reply 123 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

AT&T and Apple sites are having problem accepting order as of 12:58 AM P.S.T.

It does seem that it's mostly AT&T not being able to confirm acct info - neither on their own site or Apple's

Looks like AT&T was the problem. I got a reservation confirmation from Apple saying it cannot complete the purchase at the moment because it was "unable to reach your carrier’s systems to process the information that you have provided." Come on AT&T!!!!!!
  • Reply 124 of 245
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    No unlocked iPhone 4S until November
  • Reply 125 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No unlocked iPhone 4S until November

I know I was hoping for this.
  • Reply 126 of 245
    Yeah, looks like we're back to weeks, if not a month or so of trying to get one.

AT&T won't allow upgrades to iPhone 4S. At least not for those ineligible for discount until November 23.

I wish they would have mentioned that in the blogs. It would have save myself the trouble of getting up at 3 a.m. AT&T, it ust be nice to treat your customer like sh*t.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdub52MOsox View Post

We are currently experiencing high volumes of iPhone orders and may require up to 1 minutes to access your AT&T account information. In order to maintain the priority of your order, please remain on this page.

new message.. they keep adding text.. round 5.. ATT and APPLE fail again.. and we'll all still come back until we get the new phone.

• Reply 127 of 245
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Dear AT&T, you still suck.
  • Reply 128 of 245
    Received an email from BB about reserving one in store and clicked the info and on their site the only one they don't list for any carrier is the 64GB version. Then I received by email from Apple with my order acknowledgment with delivery on 10/14!!!
  • Reply 129 of 245
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I give. AT&T keeps telling me we are a premier account, which can't be upgraded online. Must be a feature of the account. Wondering how peoples view of Sprint is, considering taking our 5 phones away from AT&T. Don't hate them, just tired of the same old failure rate.
  • Reply 130 of 245
    b-a-rb-a-r Posts: 5member
    Was finally able to refresh the AT&T site and complete my order for and upgrade to 32gig black 4S.

It asked me to change my 'unlimited data for iPhone 4' to 'unlimited data for iphone 4S'

...so i'm assuming my unlimited data plan is being honored and grandfathered in..

-b

(This was after repeated attempts via the AppleStore.. kept timing-out after plan choice)
  • Reply 131 of 245
    Same here. AT&T is only allowing upgrades for clearance iPhone 4 and 3GS.

If the blogs wants crazy eyeballs, they should post information about this.

Existing customers are simply screwed. No upgrade to iPhone 4S.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I give. AT&T keeps telling me we are a premier account, which can't be upgraded online. Must be a feature of the account. Wondering how peoples view of Sprint is, considering taking our 5 phones away from AT&T. Don't hate them, just tired of the same old failure rate.

• Reply 132 of 245
    How were you able to upgrade? Was your contract about to expire?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

Was finally about to refresh the AT&T site and complete my order for and upgrade to 32gig black 4S.

It asked me to change my 'unlimited data for iPhone 4' to 'unlimited data for iphone 4S'

...so i'm assuming my unlimited data plan is being honored and grandfathered in..

-b

(This was after repeated attempts via the AppleStore.. kept timing-out after plan choice)

• Reply 133 of 245
    On AT&T, use the filters and select "PreOrder", do the 4s phones show up?

That's how I preordered mine.
  • Reply 134 of 245
    Att has a real scam going. I can order directly from them but not through Apple. When I try with Apple either the confirmation doesn't work or it times out after I select a plan. Att is being dishonest!!!!

Someone should look into their game
  • Reply 135 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post

I decided to jump ship. I stopped using the apple site and switched to ATT's wireless website. Ordered in under 2 minutes with ease.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/#fbid=Tt1qWIIIthV

Best of luck!

Thanks - just did it this way. Success
  • Reply 136 of 245
    I did that, but I can't upgrade my wife's ericsson to iPhone 4s.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasuki View Post

On AT&T, use the filters and select "PreOrder", do the 4s phones show up?

That's how I preordered mine.

• Reply 137 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

Was finally able to refresh the AT&T site and complete my order for and upgrade to 32gig black 4S.

-b

On the Apple App it asked the same thing for me as well but it gave me the other data plan options as well... Kept the Unlimited and showed up on the summary
  • Reply 138 of 245
    Scummy tactic at best. If I could only convince my wife to switch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

Att has a real scam going. I can order directly from them but not through Apple. When I try with Apple either the confirmation doesn't work or it times out after I select a plan. Att is being dishonest!!!!

• Reply 139 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I did that, but I can't upgrade my wife's ericsson to iPhone 4s.

I was able to update 2 samsung solstice, and 1 go phone (lost phone and bought go phone for temporary replacement) just fine.... not sure what's up with yours.
  • Reply 140 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

after reading headline - bullshit - apple site wasn't even up until 40 minutes after "insider" said apple began...

Anyway I gave up on apple site at 4:25 EST, and returned direct to ATT site - which worked great, upgraded all 3 phones! (had to do them one by one" good night all