Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 181 of 245
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    The Apple Store UK isn't coping too well. I ended up placing three separate orders for two handsets, and although I have Order Numbers (they all say: We've received your order Dispatched: Ships by October 14th), I can't cancel the 3rd order.

I have not received any confirmation emails from Apple yet, which is a bit worrying.
  • Reply 182 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1swift View Post

How did you order yours

I just finihsed mine...2+ hours on hold (several disconnects) I got through and put my order in keeping my unlimited data, free shipping (had to get him to manually do that)

Online through www.apple.com

Absolutely no issues. It's not reserved, it's shipping. I just woke up, hit the link, entered my info, and it was done. Took maybe 5 minutes.
  • Reply 183 of 245
    Doh!!

SO at 3am est was up for 90 mins trying to order and gave up when couldnt get through

Alarm goes off for work at 7, i try again... and get through ordering in 90 seconds!

still says oct 14 delivery
  • Reply 184 of 245
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    Gaysauce... I have to wait until November to buy and unlocked phone!
  • Reply 185 of 245
    mrmj2umrmj2u Posts: 34member
    Reserved mine at 3:44am... Completed the order at 5:57am on the Apple website.
  • Reply 186 of 245
    Finally got mine through about 4:45 am EST. Have the acknowledgment e-mail in hand. Going back to bed for awhile.
  • Reply 187 of 245
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    After wasting and hour and a half at 3am est, I was successful at 7am. Very smooth and update my 3Gs and my wife's 3G. Surprisingly I was able to keep my unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 188 of 245
    After an hour of trying at 03-F-N-EARLY!! went back to bed and tried it again at 0630 on ATT with not problem. Confirmation email with reservation number already received. Cannot wait! Guess there were some volume problems!!
  • Reply 189 of 245
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

It's amazing how flaky a back end database for a store site can be in a situation like this.

So there was a short delay (less than an hour for most people) in ordering the phone, but you were able to order it. And for many of the people, the problem was on AT&T's side when Apple tried to verify.

If you want to see a screwed up database system, you should have tried to order an HP Touchpad. DAYS of the system not working, not responding, or when it did respond, messing things up. No way to check your order status for weeks. Daily updates saying that the order was expected to be delivered on that day - even though it had never shipped.

And the number of iPhones ordered was almost certainly far greater than the number of Touchpads ordered.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No unlocked iPhone 4S until November

Maybe you can explain what the big deal is about unlocked phones.

You're listed as being in the US, so you're dealing with the same carriers I am. It looks to me like if you order the phone unlocked, you still have to pay the carrier for service. And the service is no cheaper if you bring your own phone. So why would you pay full price for the phone and then still have to pay full price for the service?

Yes, I realize that there are a very few people who travel extensively internationally and the ability to buy a local SIM card might be useful, but I think you can do that even if you get a discounted phone from a US carrier. So what benefit is there to buying an unlocked phone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I thought no one was supposed to care about this upgrade. I thought it was supposed to be easy this time around since NO ONE considered this phone worthwhile.

Yep. I can't wait to see all the excuses from the phandroids and analysts on why this phone sells like hotcakes. For a 'meh' upgrade, I know a lot of people who are going to jump on it.
  • Reply 190 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

Doh!!

SO at 3am est was up for 90 mins trying to order and gave up when couldnt get through

Alarm goes off for work at 7, i try again... and get through ordering in 90 seconds!

still says oct 14 delivery

Same story hear just glad I got it before the closed down preorders like the iP4.
  • Reply 191 of 245
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Every year is the same story..online ordering fails

Apple Online Store Australia seemed alright here at 12.45am USA PST. I loaded up 2 white iPhone 4S 32GB... stared at the screen for a while.

Then, I didn't pull the trigger.

Another time, perhaps.
  • Reply 192 of 245
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Los View Post

Gaysauce... I have to wait until November to buy and unlocked phone!

That's messed up yo.
  • Reply 193 of 245
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Well... It took me about 90 minutes or so to get my reservation order in this morning, but here just a few minutes ago when I got back up I had an e-mail from Apple to complete my order. Thankfully that only took me 5 minutes so I'm good to go and quite happy about it.
  • Reply 194 of 245
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Finally got my iPhones ordered through Apple. Just couldn't get it done through AT&T. Apple's ordering process, when it finally worked, was so much better than AT&T's.
  • Reply 195 of 245
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I thought no one was supposed to care about this upgrade. I thought it was supposed to be easy this time around since NO ONE considered this phone worthwhile.

Cognitive Distortion: How Does Black-and-White Thinking Hurt Us?

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...nking-hurt-us/
  • Reply 196 of 245
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apple.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdub52MOsox View Post

ATT seems ready..but I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger there or Apple.com.

• Reply 197 of 245
    An ordering process on Apple's website this morning that was as smooth as my morning cuppa! 5 minutes.

Mmmmm. 64/W/ATT, says will arrive October 14.
  • Reply 198 of 245
    Only tried apple website, starting at 3:22am eastern time. After lots of time and frustration, I finally got the 'reservation' at 5am eastern. Later email from apple to 'complete order' while I was sleeping. Completed the order from apple's email at 8am.

Not as smooth as I would have liked (3:22am to 5am) but not too bad. Apple ships it to my door next Friday, all I have to do is turn it on & go through a few on screen steps.
  • Reply 199 of 245
    I was able to order mine at 6:15 this morning EST. I expected issues but it was a seemless no hiccup process through Apple's site.

Went with the black 32G 4s on Verizon. Received my order confirmation within 10 minutes.

Looking forward to ditching my Moto Droid.
  • Reply 200 of 245
    I think the solution is to avoid the crunch (even though these websites should be able to handle it) and not stress out over buggy-ness.

I woke up at a leisurely 8am, logged onto apple.com store at 8:30 and ordered my 4s by 8:32. Smooth with no problems.....