Unlocked iPhone 4S coming in November, won't work with CDMA carriers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125
    I don't think this is accurate. This is the exact same verbiage on the iPhone 4 and even keeps referring to the iPhone 4 and not iPhone 4S.

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

I think they just copy and pasted it and a more accurate update will be coming later. We will see.
  • Reply 42 of 125
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Ok...Im interested in the unlocked iphone 4S because i travel internationally alot.

What i want to know is...if i get an unlocked iphone 4S in November....can i turn it on and use it as a wifi only device for awhile? I'm not travelling overseas until January, but would like to use the iphone to shoot pictures and video with its awesome new 8 megapixel camera, and then upload those pics via wifi to youtube etc. I'd also like to use iMessage and other features via wifi, but i don't want to pop an ATT sim in right now to do so. Not interested in a contract.

Basically i want to know if i can activate/use my iphone 4S as a wifi only device without popping a sim in.

Yes. You can turn off cellular data under iOS network setting.
  • Reply 43 of 125
    What about roaming ?

I have an iPhone 4 on T-Mobile (Netherlands), when visiting the US it means i can only roam using AT&T since they use GSM on the same frequencies as the civilized world. Since the 4S also has CDMA does this mean I can roam using CDMA networks ? Since I can roam on networks I'm not subscribed to when abroad I would expect it to behave the same on CDMA even if I'm not a subscriber.
  • Reply 44 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

1.) NO. That's exactly the point. It's too much of a hassle to add back IMEI numbers that weren't manufactured for that carrier. Not mention you still need the right PRL file for that carrier.

Can you explain this a little more. Will Apple stores stock the iPhone 4s in 4 versions - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and GSM unlocked? Or, is it just one version that is either left unlocked, or "prepared" for the carrier contract you pick?
  • Reply 45 of 125
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonovox64 View Post

I don't think this is accurate. This is the exact same verbiage on the iPhone 4 and even keeps referring to the iPhone 4 and not iPhone 4S.

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

I think they just copy and pasted it and a more accurate update will be coming later. We will see.

I have researched this on Apple website. Basically, when you buy an iPhone 4S unlocked you will not be able to use it with CDMA networks. This is clearly stated in their unlocked iPhone section:

Quote:

The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

I was hoping with an unlocked iPhone 4S we will have the ability to switch between CDMA and GSM carriers, at least in the States. But that will not happen. It doesn't matter for me anyway because Verizon and Sprint sucks where I live.
  • Reply 46 of 125
    This is all a bit complicated.

So: A cdma VZ or Sprint phone can get the gsm slot unlocked after 30 - 60 days and you can use it as a world phone yes?

Will an unlocked (or locked) gsm phone be able to be turned into a cdma network phone if you want?

Can you use a unlocked gsm phone on ATT without a data plan? The data plan is 30 a month, the subsidy for a contract phone is 450, about 15 months of data plan depending on the tier.

How difficult is it to unlock a gsm ATT phone and then reuse / relock it when you return?
  • Reply 47 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonovox64 View Post

Yes - its the site thats not been updated - its the same verbage.
  • Reply 48 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple website says iPhone 4S standby time = 200 hours.

Yeah, I noticed this is well. But all the other battery stats seem to be better or at least the same. Seems like the combination of the new processor, world-mode chip, and intelligent switching antennae are just as efficient in use, but don't power down to the lower levels that the iPhone 4's chips can.
  • Reply 49 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Yes - its the site thats not been updated - its the same verbage.

The U.K. site also says that the unlocked 4s will not work on CDMA networks.
  • Reply 50 of 125
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPhone4 Standby time: Up to 300 hours ... There will be some flies in the ointment though. Battery life decreasing is going to be a pain. Especially with 3G and apps and notifications running in the background. With Siri and A5, we'll be seeing going just about a full day on a single charge for moderate to heavy users... just as now with the iPhone4. Ah well.

According to the specs Apple released, battery life will not be decreasing except for standby time (which is not an issue for the moderate to heavy users you're talking about) and WiFi internet use. All other battery life projections are noticeably better for the 4S.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...parison-chart/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Except for one problem.. Apple will not unlock your iPhone if it is locked to AT&T. AT&T will not unlock your iPhone if it is locked to AT&T. An AT&T iPhone will only work with AT&T. If you ever used international roaming you will know that a few minutes of talk time (local or international) is so expensive that it is more feasible to pay for an unlocked iPhone and use local carriers instead of roaming.

So you have to jailbreak the phone before you go overseas and then restore it when you return. Saving $400 would be worth that much inconvenience - at least for me.
  • Reply 51 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Can you explain this a little more. Will Apple stores stock the iPhone 4s in 4 versions - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and GSM unlocked? Or, is it just one version that is either left unlocked, or "prepared" for the carrier contract you pick?

That would be my assumption. They would certainly have to have at least 3, for each carrier. I'm not sure if they carry unlocked in stores (felt like it was online) Either way it's not coming till November anyway. The actual hardware components are all the same. It's the firmware that varies.
  • Reply 52 of 125
    That's kind of disappointing that you can't use it on one of our prepaid carriers like Virgin Mobile or Cricket. I guess if you travel internationally it might be worth not having to jailbreak and unlock, or for AT&T customers this path makes more sense if you're not eligible for an upgrade for a while. I wonder if it will still only be EDGE on T-Mobile.
  • Reply 53 of 125
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

That's kind of disappointing that you can't use it on one of our prepaid carriers like Virgin Mobile or Cricket. I guess if you travel internationally it might be worth not having to jailbreak and unlock, or for AT&T customers this path makes more sense if you're not eligible for an upgrade for a while. I wonder if it will still only be EDGE on T-Mobile.

Yes, since it doesn't support the 1700MHz 3G band. I'm told that if you have Straight Talk with a Nokia e71 that the SIM will support 3G on the unlocked iPhone but can't confirm that.
  • Reply 54 of 125
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Finally an unlocked world* iPhone!

* Does not apply to T-Mobile USA 3G service or any US-based CDMA service.
  • Reply 55 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) For all the times I've seen internet petition and soapbox grandstanding over Apple not supporting stupid crap like matte displays this is an issue that needs to be dealt with in the US. Hopefully this new quasi-world mode iPhone 4S will make lawmakers see just how fractured and silly the carrier locking is in the US. I take no issue with locking a phone whilst on contract but I should be able to get the vendor and/or carrier to unlock my device once my contract is fulfilled.

2) So the Verizon and Sprint iPhones will have all four GSM '2G' bands unlocked and all but the UMTS '3G' bands used in the US unlocked, by default?

3) I really hope the SW-based, SIM card-less iPhone comes next year. Nothing would be as efficient than having virtual SIMs in your device at all times. If you jump from country to county you don't need to fiddle with little plastic chips and paperclip, but simply input your passcode and switch the country and carrier in Settings. Even better would have it prompt you for a switch of virtual SIM switch if it detects you're in a new country and you have a vSIM on the ready.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Makes sense, since most (not all) of the world is on GSM and that's what international travelers usually want. Might as well save a few bucks on CDMA components....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This is disappointing. I was hoping for an unlocked world phone. This means Apple will be manufacturing 2 versions of the 4s - world phone and GSM only. Does not make sense. Anybody have an explanation?

I'm thinking Apple is putting all the components in each model now so there will be a single HW version, not two. It's just the baseband that is locking out certain cellular features for different carrier destinations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Why the hell do you need a credit check for a pre paid contract free phone?

It seems shitty at first glance but it might be to keep people from buying up the lot of these pre-paid devices? which I'm all for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Yeah, I noticed this is well. But all the other battery stats seem to be better or at least the same. Seems like the combination of the new processor, world-mode chip, and intelligent switching antennae are just as efficient in use, but don't power down to the lower levels that the iPhone 4's chips can.

You get 1 hour more of '3G' talk time and 1 hour fewer of data over WiFi.

Based on the (assumed) Qualcomm chipset ? MDM6600 ? I would have thought those would be reversed. Glad to see that isn't the case.
  • Reply 56 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

My guess is that the CDMA radio will be disabled via firmware.

Nah Apple is to lazy to program that, they will probably just leave everything as is. Thats probably why they aren't allowing the unlock of the CDMA, to much programing and not enough carriers.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    Wow, some of you guys are totally missing what some of the people are asking. Yes we understand, there is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. But there is such thing as a unlocked CDMA world phone.

THE REAL QUESTION IS:

Will the GSM side of the Verizon & Sprint iPhone 4S be unlocked, or have the capability of being unlocked by the carrier? Even if you have to be on contract with them for 30 days, will they allow you to contact them and have it unlocked? AT&T, so far, will not unlock under any circumstances, but Verizon and Spring just might.

AFAIK, if they DO, you will be able to use that phone on local US GSM carriers as well (AT&T and T-Mobile).
  • Reply 58 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Are we sure it wont work with T-mobile 3G? I have to imagine that someone else in the world is using the same frequency for 3G. Maybe they built it in for future use *crosses fingers* Maybe unicorns are real?
  • Reply 59 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

World isn't' meant to be taken literally because you can't use such a device at the center of the Earth or the South Pole or floating on raft 500 miles from the nearest landmass. However, in the case of T-Mobile it's a moot point ince T-Mobile's coverage area is also well covered by AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.
  • Reply 60 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

Are we sure it wont work with T-mobile 3G? I have to imagine that someone else in the world is using the same frequency for 3G. Maybe they built it in for future use *crosses fingers* Maybe unicorns are real?

Unless the FCC filing comes back and says it's a pentaband UMTS phone hat includes the 1700MHz band then it's a no go.