Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 221 of 245
    You'd think that Apple and AT&T would have their shit together on this whole iPhone ordering process by now. You'd think...

I got early and placed an order to upgrade my original iPhone (June of 2007), staying with AT&T. All went smooth. Then I tried to upgrade my spouse's old freebie flip-phone (July of 2007), only to have the Apple Store display a message telling me that it couldn't do it, and to contact AT&T. Which I did a little later on in the morning. The rep said that our second phone was ineligible for an upgrade. Turns out that my earlier order reset the contract date, which made it look like the flip-phone was newly under contract. Talked to a supervisor, who apologized and said that, yes, the old flip-phone was indeed eligible for an upgrade, and she turned me over to an Apple rep, who took my information only to turn me over to another Apple rep, who basically said that they were only taking one order per customer. If I wanted a phone for my spouse, then I should drive to an Apple or AT&T store (where I live, that will be several gallons of gas away and a ferry boat fare and lots of time spent). Sorry, Steve Jobs, about making you turn over before you are even in your grave, but this is not good customer service.
  • Reply 222 of 245
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    I preordered two, but the Apple Store keeps throwing an error whenever I try to change the shipping address. It's currently set to my old address. I'll just wait a bit and update it later. At least they are preordered now.
  • Reply 223 of 245
    Has anyone placed on order on Apple's site for an at$t 4S to be picked up at an Apple Retail Store. I remember getting to "where would you like to purchase" screen and having two options. First option, complete the purchase by adding to cart and the iPhone is shipped to you. The second option is selecting a specific Apple Retail Store to pick up the iPhone. This was so Apple could get a count and help balance their inventory by stores, at least in the U.S.

Now, there is no button on option two to select an Apple Retail Store. The text says the 4S will be available for pickup beginning October 14, on a first come, first-served basis.

Are any of you getting this page. This leaves me without the usual follow-up screen that an IPhone has been reserved at store x, and the followup email.

Thoughts and thanks for any ideas...the 800myapple is still closed to new calls on iPhone sales.
  • Reply 224 of 245
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manny805 View Post

I did the exact same order about two hours ago, but haven't received a confirmation email. I'm sure we'll get it though. On the iPad 2 launch, I received mine about four hours after the order.

Can you get into "Check Order Status"? I am getting the "We'll be back soon" message.

Same. Getting the be back soon post it note
  • Reply 225 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

You'd think that Apple and AT&T would have their shit together on this whole iPhone ordering process by now. You'd think...

I got early and placed an order to upgrade my original iPhone (June of 2007), staying with AT&T. All went smooth. Then I tried to upgrade my spouse's old freebie flip-phone (July of 2007), only to have the Apple Store display a message telling me that it couldn't do it, and to contact AT&T. Which I did a little later on in the morning. The rep said that our second phone was ineligible for an upgrade. Turns out that my earlier order reset the contract date, which made it look like the flip-phone was newly under contract. Talked to a supervisor, who apologized and said that, yes, the old flip-phone was indeed eligible for an upgrade, and she turned me over to an Apple rep, who took my information only to turn me over to another Apple rep, who basically said that they were only taking one order per customer. If I wanted a phone for my spouse, then I should drive to an Apple or AT&T store (where I live, that will be several gallons of gas away and a ferry boat fare and lots of time spent). Sorry, Steve Jobs, about making you turn over before you are even in your grave, but this is not good customer service.

That is what I am nervous about. Even though the numbers are separate and the orders went through, I will feel better when I have confirmation emails.
  • Reply 226 of 245
    Reading these posts has been very entertaining. I got up and took my daughter to school at 8:00 mountain time, had some cereal and around 9:00 went to Apple.com and placed my order including paying for it in about 5 minutes. This was for wife's 3g. Kept unlimited plan (though she never gets close to 4gigs).

There was no way that I was going to get up at midnight to order a new phone. What Apple has done is to fix the supply issue so that they won't run out quickly, but it is quite another issue to handle temporary giant spikes in web and database traffic. The reason I didn't get up early is that I knew I would be colliding with the hordes of rabid fanboys who have little self control. Disclaimer: I am myself a fanboy and somewhat lacking in self-control when I want something bad. But I have had enough experience with this process to know that if you move too early you create grief for yourself. I would prefer to wait 9 hours and complete the transaction completely rather than only be able to reserve and then be in limbo until I get an email. Or spend an hour waiting for what should take only five minute.

And the initial hiccup isn't going to hurt Apple. The people that were ordering at 12:01 are so rabid for their iPhone that Tim Cook could piss in their coffee in front of them and they would still be happy as long as they got their new phone. So, by October 14th all will be forgotten. Now, AT&T will still get some hard feelings, but what's new?
  • Reply 227 of 245
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Smooth process through att.com - current 2.5 year old 3gs contract upgraded to 4s, grandfathered unlimited plan intact, less than a minute.

While att.com leaves a little UI bitterness, 25 years in corporate IT has conditioned me to believe this is an awesome process.

Looking forward to a 5s in a few years. Hope the 4s is as rock-solid as my 3gs has been.

Now, off to apple.com for that air/thunderbolt display combo.
  • Reply 228 of 245
    I woke up at 4:30am this morning (I firgured that there would be problems at opening time, so just decided to see what happened when I just woke up naturally), and had some initial trouble since I am a premier customer. Web site kept saying it couldn't upgrade me?!?!? Anyway, downloaded the AT&T Upgrade app, and ordered my new 4S in under 3 minutes! Very smooth at that time. So now comes the hard part - waiting for my new phone to arrive!!!!
  • Reply 229 of 245
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

Reading these posts has been very entertaining. I got up and took my daughter to school at 8:00 mountain time, had some cereal and around 9:00 went to Apple.com and placed my order including paying for it in about 5 minutes. This was for wife's 3g. Kept unlimited plan (though she never gets close to 4gigs).

There was no way that I was going to get up at midnight to order a new phone. What Apple has done is to fix the supply issue so that they won't run out quickly, but it is quite another issue to handle temporary giant spikes in web and database traffic. The reason I didn't get up early is that I knew I would be colliding with the hordes of rabid fanboys who have little self control. Disclaimer: I am myself a fanboy and somewhat lacking in self-control when I want something bad. But I have had enough experience with this process to know that if you move too early you create grief for yourself. I would prefer to wait 9 hours and complete the transaction completely rather than only be able to reserve and then be in limbo until I get an email. Or spend an hour waiting for what should take only five minute.

And the initial hiccup isn't going to hurt Apple. The people that were ordering at 12:01 are so rabid for their iPhone that Tim Cook could piss in their coffee in front of them and they would still be happy as long as they got their new phone. So, by October 14th all will be forgotten. Now, AT&T will still get some hard feelings, but what's new?

Tell that to all the people outside of the US who, after very short order, were facing 1-2 week ship times. I knew I would be able to place an order. It was only a matter of getting in on the initial supply. Experience says that is the real challenge, especially for AT&T customers.
  • Reply 230 of 245
    So after a long wait and game of cat a mouse I finally was able to order my phones. I was waiting at 3:01AM EST 12:01 AM PCT and there was NOTHING! App store on iPhone 4 said be back shortly, no mention on Apple.com or ATT.com so I kept checking all of these sources and I'd say about 3:30AM EST I started trying to pre order on ATT, then the app started working so I tried through there but the " Be back up soon updating " screen was fighting my iPhone 4s pre order screen. Then all hell broke loose and I guess everyone figured it out and was on the site so it SLOWED things down incredibly! I kept trying until about 4:45 AM and FINALLY received a message saying that they had an iPhone reserved for me and would notify me of when I need to pay for it and I fell asleep to wake up at 10A EST to find that not only did the checkout say no txt plan but the address was wrong ! So then I had to w8 30 mins to talk to someone online as the phone line is to busy to accept calls then the lady says she sent me an email that I still have yet to receive however I figured out that if I just go on the site a pre order a new one instead of using my reservation it went through. SO FINALLY after many trials of getting through Fort Knox I made it and hopefully I still receive my 4S on the 14th of OCT... PLEASE HURRY AND SHIP MY PHONE CHINA !!!
  • Reply 231 of 245
    Just ordered black 32GB 4s at Apple.com with no issues. My first iPhone!
  • Reply 232 of 245
    I ordered a black 64g 4S for delivery this morning with no issues - including changing carriers from AT&T to Verizon and the additional complications from that - with no problems. A few minutes after my order was complete, the store went down, and it looks like it's still down, but I did get my confirmation email, albeit several hours later.
  • Reply 233 of 245
    \

2:25 AM Apple sent me reservation notice

2:35 AM AT&T's pre-order started working and I placed my order, got a confirmation in a few minutes

4:20 AM Apple sends me an email to go ahead with my order (Deadline: Saturday 5PM)

Now, what happens if I let it expire ? Will Apple cancel my order that I placed through ATT ? (Apple knows the phone number and a/c details associated with my reservation)

Anyone know if my order through ATT is in trouble ?
  • Reply 234 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

That is what I am nervous about. Even though the numbers are separate and the orders went through, I will feel better when I have confirmation emails.

In case anyone is monitoring for ideas of how long it takes, I posted this shortly after placing my order, and I got the confirmation email on my first phone just now.

Still waiting on the second confirmation.
  • Reply 235 of 245
    I was able to get into the order tracking part of Apple.com and I can see the orders for both phones with applecare+ on both.

Looks like I am all set, and delivery on the 14th. Sweet! No standing in long lines for me. I might have to work from home that day. Gonna kill me to know that my wife is at home playing with her new phone while I'm sitting in the office.
  • Reply 236 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

The people that were ordering at 12:01 are so rabid for their iPhone that Tim Cook could piss in their coffee in front of them and they would still be happy as long as they got their new phone.

In the U.S., sure, you could have waited until morning, but in other parts of the world if you don't get in at midnight you might be waiting quite a while to get an iPhone.

... and you've never had my coffee... Tim's piss might be an improvement...
  • Reply 237 of 245
    1swift1swift Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inoutsider View Post

\

2:25 AM Apple sent me reservation notice

2:35 AM AT&T's pre-order started working and I placed my order, got a confirmation in a few minutes

4:20 AM Apple sends me an email to go ahead with my order (Deadline: Saturday 5PM)

Now, what happens if I let it expire ? Will Apple cancel my order that I placed through ATT ? (Apple knows the phone number and a/c details associated with my reservation)

Anyone know if my order through ATT is in trouble ?

I dont think so

I got a reservation through apple, but I didnt like that and stayed on the line with ATT, finally got through and did my order, it's complete now

Apple then sent me a letter saying it couldnt fulfill my reservation anyway. I'm not sure what to think but I dont think they'll cancel your att order
  • Reply 238 of 245
    Shouldn't we start talking about iPhone 5 now........???
  • Reply 239 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1swift View Post

I dont think so

I got a reservation through apple, but I didnt like that and stayed on the line with ATT, finally got through and did my order, it's complete now

Apple then sent me a letter saying it couldnt fulfill my reservation anyway. I'm not sure what to think but I dont think they'll cancel your att order

I hope they don't cancel. The problem is no one knows what's going on.

I went to ATT store this morning and they said i should talk to Apple.

I called Apple store and they said they don't know such fine details about online orders.

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and it says it's experiencing high volume of calls and hangs up.
  • Reply 240 of 245
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Shouldn't we start talking about iPhone 5 now........???

This is the iPhone 5.