Unlocked iPhone 4S coming in November, won't work with CDMA carriers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    Even if the baseband processor chip supports the 1700MHz AWS band, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work on T-Mobile USA. They still need to include a power amp for the frequency (which implies cost and real estate).

Remember, previous versions of the iPhone actually had circuitry that supported FM radio, however Apple never included the ancillary electronics to support FM radio reception.
  • Reply 62 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) For all the times I've seen internet petition and soapbox grandstanding over Apple not supporting stupid crap like matte displays this is an issue that needs to be dealt with in the US. Hopefully this new quasi-world mode iPhone 4S will make lawmakers see just how fractured and silly the carrier locking is in the US. I take no issue with locking a phone whilst on contract but I should be able to get the vendor and/or carrier to unlock my device once my contract is fulfilled.

First off never going to happen politically, there are too many telco lobbyists. They like the division. The industry is far bigger, and older than the iPhone 4s, it's not that important in the big picture to have lawmakers see anything. The issue has just as clearly been seen in Blackberries for years, look how many 8300 Curve Models were needed. And you don't have to wait that long. As I mentioned earlier Verizon will unlock the SIM slots for free once you get beyond the possible return window 30-60 days. In the bigger picture it's not that simple. You have different cellular technologies in use in different frequencies. There is no panacea to unite them all. In fact it will only get worse as each carrier is using LTE in a different frequency range.

Quote:

2) So the Verizon and Sprint iPhones will have all four GSM '2G' bands unlocked and all but the UMTS '3G' bands used in the US unlocked, by default?

You would be correct, that's how it works for all other world phones.

Quote:

3) I really hope the SW-based, SIM card-less iPhone comes next year. Nothing would be as efficient than having virtual SIMs in your device at all times. If you jump from country to county you don't need to fiddle with little plastic chips and paperclip, but simply input your passcode and switch the country and carrier in Settings. Even better would have it prompt you for a switch of virtual SIM switch if it detects you're in a new country and you have a vSIM on the ready.

Carriers will never allow this to be that simple unfortunately. I think that's why as much as we've heard about it, it hasn't happened yet. I also wonder how good the security would be before hackers start spoofing and cloning that system.
  • Reply 63 of 125
    Yeah, CDMA devices need to be activated for the carrier and if they weren't originally provisioned for the carrier, the MEID will not be accepted by the system (no matter how much hacking you do). You could in theory use the MEID of another Verizon phone and hack that into your iPhone 4S, but that's illegal (as having one phone pretending to be another would wreak havoc on a network if they were both on at the same time).

However, the upside to this is that the LTE standard requires all subscriber information to be stored in SIM cards like with GSM instead of the phone itself, which means you should be able to hot-swap all you want without any problems. Plus, Sprint just announced they are going LTE, and will also be required to use SIM cards like Verizon does currently with their LTE phones and devices.

Verizon 4G SIM support page: http://support.verizonwireless.com/f..._sim_card.html
  • Reply 64 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dalant View Post

Wow, some of you guys are totally missing what some of the people are asking. Yes we understand, there is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. But there is such thing as a unlocked CDMA world phone.

THE REAL QUESTION IS:

Will the GSM side of the Verizon & Sprint iPhone 4S be unlocked, or have the capability of being unlocked by the carrier? Even if you have to be on contract with them for 30 days, will they allow you to contact them and have it unlocked? AT&T, so far, will not unlock under any circumstances, but Verizon and Spring just might.

AFAIK, if they DO, you will be able to use that phone on local US GSM carriers as well (AT&T and T-Mobile).

I think you may have just answered your own question with your last statement. I doubt Verizon or Sprint want you to take what they see as their phone, unlock it, cancel your plan, and use it contract free on AT&T

Figure this: The iPhone 4S 16GB costs $199 on contract, $649 off. Verizon and Sprint's ETF is $350 with $5 deduction each month. After 30 days, say you're allowed to completely unlock your phone. Since you passed the first month, your ETF is now $345. You cancel your contract with the carrier. $199 initial contract price + $345 ETF = $544, so you just got a completely unlocked iPhone for $100 less than you would have outright, and the carrier no longer gets the rest of your over $2000 in contract fees.
  • Reply 65 of 125
    Sounds like CDMA is big opportunity for the Unlock/Jailbreak community...
  • Reply 66 of 125
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

If you buy an unlocked 4s phone, can you activate it on Verizon? Apple specifically says no. But, if it has a CDMA radio inside, why not?

I think the problem is with Verizon not going to activate your phone without you signing up for a 2 year contract at the same time.
  • Reply 67 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Not really. It doesn't matter if it's "unlocked" if the carrier won't let you use the device. It's not like you can just swap SIMs and be in bed with someone else.
  • Reply 68 of 125
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you have to jailbreak the phone before you go overseas and then restore it when you return. Saving $400 would be worth that much inconvenience - at least for me.

Jailbreaking does not mean unlock. Also depending on jailbreak to unlock you iPhone 4S means you are most likely to have hold off update and go through the jailbreak processes every time you restart your iPhone 4/4S. Good luck with that if you are on vacation. I don't want to carry my laptop every time I travel. I'd rather pay $400 and have a working iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So big it's never been hacked, yet GSM has been numerous times. CDMA may not be a lot of things, but it's always done well on the security front.
  • Reply 70 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

You can use the CDMA version overseas, but only if you pay VZW or Sprint's roaming charges. The two of them already have some other phones with both CDMA and GSM radios. There's a locked SIM card in them, and they won't accept other SIMs.

One thing, Sprint historically UNLOCKED their world phones. Verizon doesnt
  • Reply 71 of 125
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

CDMA phones can be rooted to clone an existing phone. It's not easy, but it's possible. I personally never got it to work though.

Um..isn't that completely illegal?
  • Reply 72 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Um..isn't that completely illegal?

Yep. Yep. Gonna say? uh, yep.

At least, if National Treasure 2 (and common sense) taught me anything.
  • Reply 73 of 125
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    And Apple would need to do a credit check why now?
  • Reply 74 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's my thinking. AT&T is giving you a huge discount if you buy the hone through them. If you buy an unlocked phone and then use it on AT&T, you're going to be paying the same monthly charge, so why not take the discounted phone?

If you're traveling on business, your company will probably pay the roaming charges, anyway, but if they won't (or you want to save them money), you can unlock the phone before you go overseas. If you're traveling on vacation, you can also unlock the phone before you go overseas.

I just don't see the real benefit of buying an unlocked phone other than a VERY tiny number of people (who're going to MOSTLY be using their phone overseas).

How exactly are you planning to unlock it on demand? Except for with the very earliest iOS4 versions, the iP4 has been completely blocked from exploit unlocks, except using the gevey SIM.

You are right though, for most americans, there isn't much benefit to getting an unlocked unit unless the travel a lot. For me in Canada, I had my iP4 unlocked by Apple so I can sell it for more money, since it will work with 3 national carriers and their 3 subsidiaries, the resale value goes up a lot. Since the US only really has AT&T a a fully compatible, national carrier, unlocks don't give as much benefit.
  • Reply 75 of 125
    If one does buy an unlocked unit, chances are that some smaller CDMA carriers, like Cricket, will activate them on their networks.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    duoduo Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dalant View Post

Wow, some of you guys are totally missing what some of the people are asking. Yes we understand, there is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. But there is such thing as a unlocked CDMA world phone.

THE REAL QUESTION IS:

Will the GSM side of the Verizon & Sprint iPhone 4S be unlocked, or have the capability of being unlocked by the carrier? Even if you have to be on contract with them for 30 days, will they allow you to contact them and have it unlocked? AT&T, so far, will not unlock under any circumstances, but Verizon and Spring just might.

AFAIK, if they DO, you will be able to use that phone on local US GSM carriers as well (AT&T and T-Mobile).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

One thing, Sprint historically UNLOCKED their world phones. Verizon doesnt

Quote:

If one does buy an unlocked unit, chances are that some smaller CDMA carriers, like Cricket, will activate them on their networks.

I wonder the same thing, and was wondering if anyone can confirm whether Sprint or Verizon definitely unlocks world mode devices after a certain amount of time has elapsed. Also, I really don't understand why the factory-unlocked model can't be activated on CDMA carriers at all considering Sprint had some sort of settlement about subscribers being able to do what they will on their devices:
    As part of a settlement in 2007, Sprint committed to allowing customers out-of-contract to take their devices with them to other CDMA carriers. Sprint also agreed to accept foreign CDMA devices from other carriers, but has failed to do so.

It is not completely clear if Sprint?s shutdown of Liberty?s BYOD program is a violation of the 2007 settlement. Sprint owns the network behind Liberty Wireless, and can impose restrictions on what plans Sprint devices can be used on.
    I can't find the original article I stumbled across years ago but this link did quote a report that mentions it: http://www.prepaidreviews.com/blog/l...program-35971/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

And Apple would need to do a credit check why now?

As mentioned above, I believe this has something to do with the large number of foreigners swarming Apple launches to buy up inventory meant for local distribution for later export. A credit check would at least stop tourists who do not have SSN/TINs from purchasing all the unlocked iPhones. Of course, those who are really determined will find ways around this but I think it'll have to involve paying an American to purchase for them. Thus, increasing their cost and mitigating any cost differential between the MSRP here and their local MSRP (which often translate to more when converter into USD).
  • Reply 77 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Apple.ca will sell you the unlocked version of the 4S unlocked, if you have a Canadian shipping address.

Just to confirm, I did just that having pre-ordered the iPhone 4S unlocked from Apple.ca when they went live after midnight last night. Should arrive no later than October 14th. We even had the last iPhone available as unlocked from launch date.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Actually yes. Verizon will unlock SIM slots for free after a full 30 days of the phone being active on your account. I've done this twice with other world phones.

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully Verizon will continue that practice with the 4S. I keep an old unlocked GSM phone around for when I travel because my primary phone was either locked (ATT) or incompatible (Verizon).

Are you able to select which connection to use if both are available? Despite what many think, there are in fact other countries where you can roam with a Verizon CDMA phone. Not many, but there are a handful. Hopefully in those cases it doesn't try to make you roam on your Verizon number! $$$
  • Reply 79 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duo View Post

I wonder the same thing, and was wondering if anyone can confirm whether Sprint or Verizon definitely unlocks world mode devices after a certain amount of time has elapsed. Also, I really don't understand why the factory-unlocked model can't be activated on CDMA carriers at all considering Sprint had some sort of settlement about subscribers being able to do what they will on their devices:
    As part of a settlement in 2007, Sprint committed to allowing customers out-of-contract to take their devices with them to other CDMA carriers. Sprint also agreed to accept foreign CDMA devices from other carriers, but has failed to do so.

It is not completely clear if Sprint?s shutdown of Liberty?s BYOD program is a violation of the 2007 settlement. Sprint owns the network behind Liberty Wireless, and can impose restrictions on what plans Sprint devices can be used on.
    I can't find the original article I stumbled across years ago but this link did quote a report that mentions it: http://www.prepaidreviews.com/blog/l...program-35971/

Verizon also announced in 2007 that they would open their network to any CDMA device that was qualified in their labs as being compatible with their network. "Any app, any device" was what they touted.

There is no technical reason for any CDMA capable device from working on either Sprint or Verizon. CDMA is sort of the opposite of GSM in terms of locking. With GSM, the devices are locked to accept only certain carrier's SIMs, but any device that can accept the SIM can get on the network. With CDMA, it is the network that is locked, so only devices that are 'registered' by the carrier are allowed. There is nothing preventing them from allowing any and all CDMA devices on their network, other than them denying access to any device ESN not on their list. Given Sprint agreed to this as a settlement and Verizon announced a policy to allow it, it is strange that they are now reneging.

If they were to both honour their obligations and policies, then any iPhone4S, whether purchased unlocked and full price or locked and on carrier subsidy from AT&T or other GSM carrier should be allowed on either Sprint or Verizon. I wonder if Apple agreed to implement some sort of firmware lock where CDMA is disabled if the phone activates with a SIM. That way Sprint and Verizon would be able to say it's not their fault.
  • Reply 80 of 125
    duoduo Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Verizon also announced in 2007 that they would open their network to any CDMA device that was qualified in their labs as being compatible with their network. "Any app, any device" was what they touted.

There is no technical reason for any CDMA capable device from working on either Sprint or Verizon. CDMA is sort of the opposite of GSM in terms of locking. With GSM, the devices are locked to accept only certain carrier's SIMs, but any device that can accept the SIM can get on the network. With CDMA, it is the network that is locked, so only devices that are 'registered' by the carrier are allowed. There is nothing preventing them from allowing any and all CDMA devices on their network, other than them denying access to any device ESN not on their list. Given Sprint agreed to this as a settlement and Verizon announced a policy to allow it, it is strange that they are now reneging.

If they were to both honour their obligations and policies, then any iPhone4S, whether purchased unlocked and full price or locked and on carrier subsidy from AT&T or other GSM carrier should be allowed on either Sprint or Verizon. I wonder if Apple agreed to implement some sort of firmware lock where CDMA is disabled if the phone activates with a SIM. That way Sprint and Verizon would be able to say it's not their fault.

I figured that's how it might work, but I wonder why even Apple is saying the unlocked models won't be compatible with the CDMA carriers. I'd really like for some of the news outlets to dig deeper and find out what's really going on.