Issue with restoring backup from DMG image

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here is the situation

I had MacbookPro and had (fortunately!) taken a backup before it got stolen.

-Backup is in DMG file taken using Diskutility on external hard drive.(i think its compressed one the default that DU gives in Lion)

Now after the episode,

Thankfully i have my parents mac (exact same HW) so i partitioned the Harddrive(on this 2nd mac)

to create a empty partition and Trying to restore image from first mac to this partition.

Problems:

When i use Disk Utility - it gives me "Imagescan" error .

Then I tried to do image-scan for restore (in DU) - it takes a while about half an hour shows progress bar, but Fails.

Is there a way to bypass imagescan check in DU or any other freeware alternative to Disk Utility that does similar job.

I tried CCC, all it did is copied .dmg from external drive to target disk partition.

Other observations:

-Cant mount the dmg it says no mountable disk.

-The size of dmg backup is(96gb) which is close to the USED space size that I had on my previous mac and NOT equal to its whole drive size(320gb).

-Again I am tryign to restore this DMG(96gb) to 2nd partition on this current mac which is empty 168gb, os it has enough space.

Help / Tips / Solutions plz.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meettanay View Post

-Cant mount the dmg it says no mountable disk.

That suggests your disk image might not be valid. Did you check that it mounted after you did the backup?