Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not me but AAPL should be through the firkin' roof ... \

Patience. Patience.

Much of tech has been in a funk lately.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I think Gruber might be right: future iPhones will look very similar to the iPhone 4. The display will stay the same size.

I don't know what kind of hard drugs that person does nor do I really care, but that's the same guy who predicted an iPad 3 with a September 2011 release.

I found it shocking that there were so many stupid people around who actually believed that one.

Even though the current iPhone 4 and 4S design is great, Apple is not going to stick with it forever. The iPhone 5 will be a redesign. And that's my prediction.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    I wonder how much emotion is driving a bit of extra sales as a form of paying a sort of tribute to Steve. I know that I felt something tweak when ordering the iPhone 4s... here's raising my credit card to you one last time Mr Jobs sort of thing.

In retrospect, he probably knew what he was doing with the iPhone 4s. I'm personally happy that the form factor has settled down and that the quality dimensions are just being pushed further and further. Good luck on avoiding another MobileMe cloud disaster with iOS5 though!
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 4G race is further muddied by the fact that the International Telecommunications Union has specified that actual 4G standards must reach 100 Mbps mobile broadband speeds, which won't reach widespread adoption for several years.

The ITU announced in December 2010 that WiMax, LTE, and HSPA+ are 4G technologies.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ITU-s...lly-4G_id15435
  • Reply 25 of 86
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    That's good, if not surprising news. Things were really sketchy while trying to pre-order an ATT 16GB last night, so I figured there was a large number of people attempting to do the same. Well, that, or ATT's typical incompetence.

But once you combine ATT, Verizon, and Sprint, I think it will end up being a "they are selling them as quickly as they can make them" type of situation. It's just funny that after all the whining about the 4S, it will prove to be quite successful.

I think people like me, who are upgrading from a 3GS, will be especially pleased. I know that I can't wait for Wednesday and then Friday. Next week will be very exciting!
  • Reply 26 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

The ITU announced in December 2010 that WiMax, LTE, and HSPA+ are 4G technologies.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ITU-s...lly-4G_id15435

Thanks for the correction!
  • Reply 27 of 86
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't know what kind of hard drugs that person does nor do I really care, but that's the same guy who predicted an iPad 3 with a September 2011 release.

I found it shocking that there were so many stupid people around who actually believed that one.

Even though the current iPhone 4 and 4S design is great, Apple is not going to stick with it forever. The iPhone 5 will be a redesign. And that's my prediction.

He didn't really predict it. He repeatedly said it was pure speculation. His track record is pretty good.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    And to think what that number might have been had not the iPhone 4s been labeled a dud by some talking heads and fellow posters that complained 16 months for the same phone with just a speed bump, better camera and a talking assistant! Those numbers, I bet, would have been mind boggling!

/

/

/
  • Reply 29 of 86
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Re-reading the announcement is entertaining already. Can we point and mock?
  • Reply 30 of 86
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    I guess this is what failure looks like. Man... I would sure LOVE to be a failure by the trolls definition.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Re-reading the announcement is entertaining already. Can we point and mock?

They need to add a specific "Point-and-Mock" smiley.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I guess this is what failure looks like. Man... I would sure LOVE to be a failure by the trolls definition.

Right?! If AT&T has 200k pre-orders with a great many iPhone 4 users waiting a month or so before they can order at upgrade pricing how much do the other carriers add to that total plus the other 6(?) countries' carriers?
  • Reply 33 of 86
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    HSPA + is 4G. So, on AT&T and T-Mobile's networks the iPhone is a 4G phone. Apple pretty much said as much at its presentation by saying it didn't want to get into classification (being aware of the competing technologies), but it ran as fast or faster then all the other phones claiming to be 4G.

As stated in a previous conversation, there are multiple protocols that qualify as 4G. That is why T-Mobile claims to run a 4G network. I hate AT&T, but it is not lying. Verizon and Sprint aren't calling AT&T and T-Mobile liars.

Now if AT&T can't actually deliver the speeds it is claiming, it should be fined for fraud, but the phone itself is a 4G phone when operated on an HSPA network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougMcNerd View Post

I have a simple solution ...

Change the indicator to "HSPA+" when using that network protocol. I think to call it 4G is stretching the truth a bit. The rest should be left to AT&T to begin an ad campaign to educate users regarding the advantages of HSPA+.

• Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

HSPA + is 4G. So, on AT&T and T-Mobile's networks the iPhone is a 4G phone. Apple pretty much said as much at its presentation by saying it didn't want to get into classification (being aware of the competing technologies), but it ran as fast or faster then all the other phones claiming to be 4G.

As stated in a previous conversation, there are multiple protocols that qualify as 4G. That is why T-Mobile claims to run a 4G network. I hate AT&T, but it is not lying. Verizon and Sprint aren't calling AT&T and T-Mobile liars.

Now if AT&T can't actually deliver the speeds it is claiming, it should be fined for fraud, but the phone itself is a 4G phone when operated on an HSPA network.

But only when it's connected to towers that are using HSPA+, which does make AT&T's request for '4G' label in the Menu Bar reasonable. I think AT&T will get their wish because this helps Apple sell more iPhones against an ever increasing slew of devices with '4G' in their name.

I would think next year is likely when LTE will be added to the mix. Will Sprint be upgrading to LTE within the next year?
  • Reply 35 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don?t care what?s ?true? 4G?or any other buzzword. I just want to know what the speed is, and how long the battery lasts, in real-world use.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don?t care what?s ?true? 4G?or any other buzzword. I just want to know what the speed is, and how long the battery lasts, in real-world use.

Apple lists everything the same in the battery department except for 200 instead of 300 hours of standby (what I expected from the MDM6600), 9 hours instead of 8 hours in '3G' talk time (which I didn't expect to increase), and 8 hours instead of 9 hours in WiFi internet use (which I also didn't expect to drop). So far Apple has more than fair in their battery listings.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

A little harsh, aren't you?

It's not like Gruber was claiming to be an authority on the future of Apple products. He was just discussing the advantages Apple would have in releasing the iPad 3 early and was then guessing it would happen. That sounds like something just about any other pundit might do, until you notice that mid-way through the article he openly critiques his own lousy record for predictions.

Save your harsh criticism for all the tech pundits out there who pull crazy theories out of their ass and then never acknowledge that they're wrong--and wrong a lot more often and speaking with less authority and insider knowledge than John Gruber has access to.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

And Sprint is now sold out of all 16 GB iPhone 4S's.

Apple once again kicking ass!, proving all of the naysayers, trolls and Debbie Downers wrong!

I am not a fandroid (I have iPhone-4) and not a troll, but I think 200k on a first half-day is not something to be excited with. Google reports 550k android activation each freaking day.

And after initial enthusiasm dries out, the sales may very well fall like a rock.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I am not a fandroid (I have iPhone-4) and not a troll, but I think 200k on a first half-day is not something to be excited with. Google reports 550k android activation each freaking day.

And after initial enthusiasm dries out, the sales may very well fall like a rock.

Activations from all devices that run Android OS. Note they are not necessarily first time activations on that device.

Show me another smartphone that sells more per day. Note the iPhone 4 is already the best selling smartphone model doing a record breaking 600k in the first day across all participating carriers and countries, and now AT&T does 1/3 of that on its own in half the time.

Show me another single smartphone on a single carrier with first day sales that exceed that number. Show me one that exceeds that for an entire week for all carriers on a given day.

edit: Let me help you out. The original iPhone, back in 2007 at a starting price of $600 on AT&T sold a record breaking 1 million units in 74 days. 2.5 years later the Motorola Droid bested the original iPhone by selling 1.05 million units in the first 74 days. In 2010 the Google Nexus One sold 135k in 74 days. Today AT&T sold 200k units in the 12 hours, now couple that with Verizon, Sprint, and the other 6(?) countries and all their carriers selling the iPhone. It's very likely that Apple sold well over a million units in the first day. Sold, not activated a free OS used by dozens of carriers on many dozens of devices.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Show me another single smartphone on a single carrier with first day sales that exceed that number. Show me one that exceeds that for an entire week for all carriers on a given day.

I guess Nexus Prime is going to put it on test. Single phone, single carrier.