Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just 24 hours after opening up pre-orders for the new iPhone 4S, Apple has rolled back expected shipping times for the device from expected delivery on the Oct. 14 launch date to an estimate of 1-2 weeks.

The Apple Online Store changed its pre-order availability for all models of the iPhone 4S early Saturday. Apple had promised to begin taking advance orders for the device at 12:01 Pacific on Friday, but slight hiccups delayed sales for Apple and AT&T.

The company's other two wireless partners in the U.S., Verizon and Sprint, were able to begin pre-orders on time, though some customers reported having trouble completing orders from Apple and carriers alike.

AT&T announced later on Friday that it had received more than 200,000 pre-orders for the smartphone in just 12 hours, a record for the company.

Unveiled on Tuesday, the iPhone 4S features the same external design as the iPhone 4, but adds Siri voice control, a faster A5 processor, an 8-megapixel camera and a new antenna design. Though some have expressed disappointment that the handset did not receive a form factor refresh, Wall Street analysts remain confident that sales of the iPhone 4S will easily top previous records set by the iPhone 4.

Sprint noted on its website late Friday that it had completely sold out of pre-orders for the 16GB iPhone 4S, though, as of early Saturday, the 32GB and 64GB versions were still available for advance purchase. The carrier does, however, state that the 16GB model will be "available in stores on Oct. 14."

Verizon may also have sold out of its initial pre-order allowance of 16GB models. The carrier's website currently lists 16GB models of the iPhone 4S for Oct. 21 delivery. Also, some AppleInsider readers report that orders placed on the Verizon website at 12:01 a.m. on Friday are now estimating delivery on Oct. 21.

Though not a publicly disclosed practice, recent history and evidence supports the fact that Apple allots restricted amounts of devices for its partners to offer on pre-order and at launch.

According to a recent report from The Wall Street Journal, Sprint has basically "bet the company" on the iPhone and has agreed to purchase 30.5 million iPhones over the next four years.

This is the first iPhone launch in the U.S. where Apple has to manage multiple carrier relationships. The issue is also exacerbated by the fact that the iPhone 4S is a "global model" and the same model can work on both CDMA and GSM networks.

For those willing to wait, Apple will release a GSM-unlocked version of the iPhone 4S in November, with 16GB, 326GB and 64GB models selling for $649, $749 and $849, respectively. The company cautions, however, that the unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint.

Apple has had trouble producing enough iPhone and iPad models to match pre-order and launch day demand in recent years. Even the Verizon iPhone 4, which launched 8 months after the GSM iPhone 4 arrived, sold out of pre-orders on the first day on offer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 238
    Apparently I was not the only one who bought one.
  • Reply 2 of 238
    While we on the AI forums tend to think the average person doesn't really pay that much attention to technology, they obviously pay more attention than we sometimes give them credit for. I mean, it seems almost certain the average person isn't having arguments about the meaning of 4G, but they do follow technology enough to know:

1) there is a new iPhone,

2) the new iPhone is better than the old iPhone,

3) the new iPhone, despite what analysts say, is better enough that it's worth whatever hassle that particular person may undergo in order to obtain it under their contracts.

This must be true, since AT&T certainly isn't selling 200,000 iPhones on the average day and this record came about despite the aforementioned analysts downplaying the 4S.
  • Reply 3 of 238
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card. My order initially went through, but I received an "unable to charge provided card" email about an hour later. After waiting a few hours for AT&T customer service to open, and then another 45 minutes on hold, the nice lady tells me that she's received 33 calls in the last hour for the exact same thing, and it was in fact the bank denying the charges due to suspected fraudulent activity. A quick call to the bank straightened things out, but they couldn't explain to me why a 199 charge to Apple set off the fraud alert, when the several hundred dollars worth of airline tickets I purchased last week didn't. I guess the bank's computers must have shit themselves when they saw so many people spending money all at once on Apple, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.
  • Reply 4 of 238
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.
  • Reply 5 of 238
    Makes sense. For ~50% of iPhone owners it's a no-brainer upgrade (non-iPhone 4 owners) and some studies show about 89% of them want another iPhone. Most of them are eligible for a subsidized upgrade or can switch carriers.

I got my iPhone 4 a bit late (almost exactly 1yr ago) but I still went for the 4S because I was able to re-sell my iPhone 4 for $400. So it's a $50 upgrade for me (plus 2 year contract that I would have either way) and I'll just repeat it when the iPhone 5 comes out. If I get even $350 for the 4S next year the iPhone 5 will only cost me $200. Only downside if you do this is you gotta be pretty committed to your carrier because you're renewing your 2 year contract a year early each time.
  • Reply 6 of 238
    Just waiting for the trolling questions about "but how many have they actually sold?"

All of them. That's all you need to know.
  • Reply 7 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    About 2 million units sold in the first day across 7 countries is my estimate.

edit: @ DaveMcM7, All of them, indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

While we on the AI forums tend to think the average person doesn't really pay that much attention to technology, they obviously pay more attention than we sometimes give them credit for. I mean, it seems almost certain the average person isn't having arguments about the meaning of 4G, but they do follow technology enough to know:

1) there is a new iPhone,

2) the new iPhone is better than the old iPhone,

3) the new iPhone, despite what analysts say, is better enough that it's worth whatever hassle that particular person may undergo in order to obtain it under their contracts.

This must be true, since AT&T certainly isn't selling 200,000 iPhones on the average day and this record came about despite the aforementioned analysts downplaying the 4S.

Nice post and good point. I know several people who purchased the iPhone 4S today that I would describe as generally techtarded. Very few technically inclined people I know bought the new iPhone today but that's mainly because they have the iPhone 4 and have a month before they are upgrade eligible. I'm one of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

• Reply 8 of 238
    Quote:

Well played sir. Well played. :golf clap:

The best phone on the market got much better. Why did folks think it wouldn't sell?
  • Reply 9 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Well played sir. Well played. :golf clap:

The best phone on the market got much better. Why did folks think it wouldn't sell?

That sounds like an ad tagline: "The best phone on the market just got better."
  • Reply 10 of 238
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.
  • Reply 11 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.

I can't speak for the UK but in the US getting your iPhone delivered the day before the official launch has happened on more than one occasion though I can't recall which years that occurred.
  • Reply 12 of 238
    Gave up on apple last night, ordered through AT&T.

It's processing and they charged my card already, I hope I get it next week.
  • Reply 13 of 238
    Quote:

Me too. I also made sure my men's purse included a second battery to last the ride the next power outlet as well as a not to heavy fridge to keep my device cool.
  • Reply 14 of 238
    This would be one of the funniest facts for a long time - if true. Can't someone with good connections at Wall Street or somewhere just check it out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card. My order initially went through, but I received an "unable to charge provided card" email about an hour later. After waiting a few hours for AT&T customer service to open, and then another 45 minutes on hold, the nice lady tells me that she's received 33 calls in the last hour for the exact same thing, and it was in fact the bank denying the charges due to suspected fraudulent activity. A quick call to the bank straightened things out, but they couldn't explain to me why a 199 charge to Apple set off the fraud alert, when the several hundred dollars worth of airline tickets I purchased last week didn't. I guess the bank's computers must have shit themselves when they saw so many people spending money all at once on Apple, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.

• Reply 15 of 238
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android. How do you sell big at launch? Delay your product to greatly increase the number of iPhone fans with expired contracts. Then you promote your sales figures to play up your product.

Six months from now we will have a much better idea of the success of the new phone.
  • Reply 16 of 238
    Clever indeed.

Create a phone that has zero detrimental effect on XMAS iPad sales, then 6 months later introduce the 'must have' bigger flashier iPhone.

Win Win.
  • Reply 17 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android. How do you sell big at launch? Delay your product to greatly increase the number of iPhone fans with expired contracts. Then you promote your sales figures to play up your product.

Six months from now we will have a much better idea of the success of the new phone.

You really think they could have sold the iPhone 4S back in June but held off to get iPhone users off of contracts? Besides that not making a lick of financial sense I don't know of a single AT&T user that had the 3GS that was on contract come this past June or an iPhone 4 user that is off their contract until mid-November so if you could clarify your position I'd appreciate it.
  • Reply 18 of 238
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You really think they could have sold the iPhone 4S back in June but held off to get iPhone users off of contracts? Besides that not making a lick of financial sense I don't know of a single AT&T user that had the 3GS that was on contract come this past June or an iPhone 4 user that is off their contract until mid-November so if you could clarify your position I'd appreciate it.

Android will only be a competitor of apple when its users are app users...i think as times goes on the android users some will move as they learn more about smart phones..not all but think about it..do u sell any apple users moving back to windows..and i think android could suffer from that and windows mobile...dont see it catching up ever..
  • Reply 19 of 238
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card.

It didn't this time, which is strange. I usually get a call from my credit card company any time I spend more than £100 with Apple. Apple seems to be on their shit list, along with other electronics retailers. Ordering the iPhone 4S went smoothly though and no-one called me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

You should get it on release day. iPad 2 pre-orders started at 1-2 weeks and took ages to ship. However iPhone 4S pre-orders stated "ships for 14th October" and didn't slip to 1-2 weeks until about midday in the UK.
  • Reply 20 of 238
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

You should get it on release day. iPad 2 pre-orders started at 1-2 weeks and took ages to ship. However iPhone 4S pre-orders stated "ships for 14th October" and didn't slip to 1-2 weeks until about midday in the UK.

I thought that too at first, but my email confirmation says shipped "by" 14th of October...

Hope it arrives on launch day, can't wait to get rid of my 3GS!