Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

Comments

• Reply 41 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Question, if I want to get one in store....(LIKE ATT)....then what do I do? I mean, do they have instore preorders? (ATT). Do I stay outside? Do I have the plan set up before? I'm wondering...

There are no in-store preorders this time around (boooo!). I actually asked a guy at the Apple store why they weren't doing that and he told me that last year many people reserved iPhone 4s for in-store pickup and then never showed up. This left Apple stores with a whole stack of iPhone 4s that couldn't be sold to anyone for several days, which was bad for everyone since there was clearly no shortage of people waiting to buy one!

If you want to get one on launch day in store, you will have to go wait in line early. Both my local Apple and AT&T stores are opening at 8AM. A few days ago I would have said that you would be fine if you lined up at 6:30 or 7, but after seeing these pre-order numbers, I would suggest you go earlier. Also, you are probably better off going to an AT&T store over an Apple store, since Apple stores will also have Verizon and Sprint customers trying to get their hands on the same stock as you are. By going to an AT&T store, you only have to compete against other AT&T customers.

Good luck! (I will be waiting in the comfort of my own home for my 4S to be delivered )
  • Reply 42 of 205
    Apple 1

Pundits 0

• Reply 43 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Good for you, hopefully that will bode well for me. I ordered my phone within 5 mins of the Apple Website coming online, still I'm in the UK not America and Apple tends to preference the US over everyone else.

Both of mine have shipped as well. They have already left China. Unless they sit in customs for a few days, they will arrive very early.
  • Reply 44 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Sold or sales in the title and first paragraph should really say pre-orders.

Pre-orders or not my account was charged this weekend and my order can not be changed. Sounds like a sale to me.
  • Reply 45 of 205
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Everything, perhaps, except the upward movement of Apple's stock price?

EVERYTHING that has a begininng has an end.

Tell me one consumer electronic product that has been on top forever. Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.
  • Reply 46 of 205
    I really didn't expect the 4s to be a big seller but then I thought to myself....IT'S APPLE!!
  • Reply 47 of 205
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I am sure there are quite a few "sympathy" purchases in the mix, but we'll never know.

My purchase was planned at the end of last year. We thought it would come out in July ...
  • Reply 48 of 205
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5 AND because there was no iPhone 5 AND they were sooooooo disappointed they claimed the 4S would be a dud? I'll bet they crawled back under their rocks!

You just need to get used to these types. The glass is always half empty in their miserable lives, chronic Debbie Downers. Their opinions might be worthy of consideration if they had any kind of track record for being right. But they have always been wrong. Sometimes I think these types actually think that if they repeat something enough times it comes true.

And the fact is we see this sort of thing in tech oriented forums should be no surprise. These sites are inhabited by a myriad of wannabes who profess to be tech professionals but are actually just waiters at AppleBee's.
  • Reply 49 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

There are no in-store preorders this time around (boooo!). I actually asked a guy at the Apple store why they weren't doing that and he told me that last year many people reserved iPhone 4s for in-store pickup and then never showed up. This left Apple stores with a whole stack of iPhone 4s that couldn't be sold to anyone for several days, which was bad for everyone since there was clearly no shortage of people waiting to buy one!

If you want to get one on launch day in store, you will have to go wait in line early. Both my local Apple and AT&T stores are opening at 8AM. A few days ago I would have said that you would be fine if you lined up at 6:30 or 7, but after seeing these pre-order numbers, I would suggest you go earlier. Also, you are probably better off going to an AT&T store over an Apple store, since Apple stores will also have Verizon and Sprint customers trying to get their hands on the same stock as you are. By going to an AT&T store, you only have to compete against other AT&T customers.

Good luck! (I will be waiting in the comfort of my own home for my 4S to be delivered )

True. But I would be a new ATT customer. Should I get an account setup before? I'll go out early as I have 3 phones to buy (family plan).
  • Reply 50 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrsflyers View Post

I really didn't expect the 4s to be a big seller but then I thought to myself....IT'S APPLE!!

Yeah, critics can just kick it!
  • Reply 51 of 205
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:

I was really tempted to get the Galaxy SII....but after having the Vibrant and it's lack of updates/force closing I just can't go back. Love their TVs. Love SuperAMOLED. Can't deal with the issues anymore.

I'm having a great experience with their window air conditioners. Might try a fridge next.
  • Reply 52 of 205
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Win back? Apple has lost very few users to Android. My brother made the switch because Verizon had not, yet, gotten the iPhone, but he cusses out his Droid X daily. He'll be back. Apple has a very high retention rate among users.

+1 My youngest son switched from the iPhone 3G to an HTC when his contract expired. He regretted it from day one and has complained about how difficult it is to figure out. He also says he will be back to the iPhone ASAP. There are a lot of these people out there.
  • Reply 53 of 205
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Soon the 4S will be the best selling phone in the US....next to the IP4 and 3GS....then best selling in the world once released globally.

1) IP4S

2)IP4

3)IP3GS
  • Reply 54 of 205
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

+1 My youngest son switched from the iPhone 3G to an HTC when his contract expired. He regretted it from day one and has complained about how difficult it is to figure out. He also says he will be back to the iPhone ASAP. There are a lot of these people out there.

Your using this anecdote to refute "win back"?
  • Reply 55 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Win back? Apple has lost very few users to Android. My brother made the switch because Verizon had not, yet, gotten the iPhone, but he cusses out his Droid X daily. He'll be back. Apple has a very high retention rate among users.

They are not losing anyone to Android. They have something like 95% retention rate. It is certainly working the other way though. Typically people buy Android that just want a better phone, then they switch to the iPhone when they realize they want a smart phone. I think the people who buy a phone as a smartphone that don't buy an iPhone are the minority. Android is still a great phone and I'm sure it will have a lot of success, but it isn't an iPhone and people see that. Keeping the iPhone 4 and 3s in allow Apple to capture some of the audience that is just looking for a better phone. Anyone buying an Android phone as a Smartphone either has some sort of stigma against Apple or are after some sort of ideal that a competitor is needed in the marketplace... basically an under dog supporter. It makes sense for most people to be true capitalists and pick the best phone on the market–the iPhone. Although oddly, many still consider Apple the under dog because they are so new in this market.
  • Reply 56 of 205
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Pre-orders or not my account was charged this weekend and my order can not be changed. Sounds like a sale to me.

AI did change their title ( at least I thought they did). The total one day sales registered on Friday will be the sum of:

1) Apple's total ( not just one day) pre-orders to Friday. Although I think the waiting time is a week now so may be moot.

2) AT&T's, and Sprint's pre-orders. There are no pre-orders afaik outside the US from non-Apple stores..

2) Sales in Apple retail in Tier 1 countries on Friday.

3) Sales in carrier retail in Tier 1 countries ( this will be where I buy mine, and probably will be where the majority of real life purchases are made outside of the US).

AI later said:

The million sales surpass the previous single-day preorder record of 600,000 set by the iPhone 4 when it launched in 2010. Total sales on the launch day of the iPhone 4 reached 1.7 million, which tied the sales record previously set by the iPhone 3GS.

and

The iPhone 4S is available in either black or white for $199 for the 16GB model, and $299 for the 32GB model, and $399 for the new 64GB model in the U.S. In addition to America, it will be available in Canada, Australia, the U.K., France, Germany and Japan this Friday, making it the fastest iPhone roll-out Apple has ever had.

As far as I know they were all a month behind the US last time, so the 1.7M sales were all US (open to correction). So total sales on Friday should be > 1.7 million in the US - say 2.5M, given the larger number of carriers and installed base upgrading.

And that again, conservatively, in the rest of the world.

Sales > 5M?
  • Reply 57 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They are not losing anyone to Android. They have something like 95% retention rate. It is certainly working the other way though. Typically people buy Android that just want a better phone, then they switch to the iPhone when they realize they want a smart phone. I think the people who buy a phone as a smartphone that don't buy an iPhone are the minority. Android is still a great phone and I'm sure it will have a lot of success, but it isn't an iPhone and people see that. Keeping the iPhone 4 and 3s in allow Apple to capture some of the audience that is just looking for a better phone.

I think if more phones were akin to the Galaxy S line...they'd keep more. So high quality. However, Samsung makes the mistake in the US of having different variations (NFC on one phone, not the other). However, their international Galaxy S tends to just have one good model.
  • Reply 58 of 205
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

EVERYTHING that has a begininng has an end.

Tell me one consumer electronic product that has been on top forever. Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.

Maybe Sony? They've never gone to the soaring heights Apple has been at recently, but no one has ever described them as struggling or "doomed".

And maybe that's the secret.
  • Reply 59 of 205
    Quote:

True. But I would be a new ATT customer. Should I get an account setup before? I'll go out early as I have 3 phones to buy (family plan).

You would probably have to talk to someone at an AT&T store about getting your account set up early. Don't know if this is even possible. I doubt it's necessary though. Also, I heard that Apple is limiting preorders to 1 per customer, and I don't know if this also applies to in-store sales on launch day. You might have to bring your whole family with you!
  • Reply 60 of 205
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

It does seem like an irrational way to make buying decisions. This past year I've purchased, an AppleTV2, iPad2, Airport Extreme, Core i7 MacBook Air, iPhone 4GS. All because they were designed and engineered well and offered good value for the money invested, not because SJ was sick and dying. He put a lot of love and caring in these products and Apple. I mourn his passing but I don't show it by buying Apple products.

Sounds like us. My wife got an original iPad last October, we bought a Mini and a ATV2 in August, we're buying iPhone 4S's at the end of the month and in the spring we're both probably getting laptops and iPads.