Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

Comments

• Reply 61 of 205
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hambone View Post

Most people don't follow rumor sites. iPhone 4s is a decent upgrade.

I agree with your sentiment. Further though, the 4S is not just an upgrade. Greater processing power and a more sophisticated OS have provided new facilities that we will very soon take for granted. The 4S is a new phone dressed in familiar clothes.

All the best.

p.s. Well done Apple!!!
  • Reply 62 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think this is Apple pre-orders only. Otherwise I would have expected a higher jump, given then larger installed base and the larger number of carriers even in the . Most people, however, will buy from their carrier. I will be in O2 - who dont have online ordering - on Friday, getting rid of the trusty 3GS. ( the times we had). . Pre-Ordering from the APple store would have cost me a lot more.

Hey asdasd, didn't you say you were going to go with an Android phone unless Apple introduced a new case design (iPhone 5?) with a larger screen?
  • Reply 63 of 205
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

And they work at Consumer Reports!

CE was specifically not invited to the rollout. Gee, wonder why.

Personally, I think that the very pundits who have accused Apple of being a cult of 'design over function' are the same ones who are PO'd that no one will be able to tell that they have a IP4s instead of an IP4.
  • Reply 64 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I think if more phones were akin to the Galaxy S line...they'd keep more. So high quality. However, Samsung makes the mistake in the US of having different variations (NFC on one phone, not the other). However, their international Galaxy S tends to just have one good model.

If I just wanted a good phone, I'd look at usability as a Phone (address book, voicemail, etc.) and build quality. It is really hard to beat the previous iPhone 4 in both of these regards. The quality of the iPhone 4 was a big step up from the 3s which has a quality similar to most current Android phones. The only way Android might win head to head is to drop the price to zero or offer phones without data plans to target feature phone users. Both of those scenarios are happening of course, so that will keep Android sales up. Apple hasn't indicated that they want to truly compete against feature phones right now. Basically the iPhone 4 and 3s are just half-hearted attempts. Android however is definitely going after the feature phone crowd.
  • Reply 65 of 205
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Question, if I want to get one in store....(LIKE ATT)....then what do I do? I mean, do they have instore preorders? (ATT). Do I stay outside? Do I have the plan set up before? I'm wondering...

Line up or wait a week or two.

Don't worry... the time will pass quickly.
  • Reply 66 of 205
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Hey asdasd, didn't you say you were going to go with an Android phone unless Apple introduced a new case design (iPhone 5?) with a larger screen?

No.

I clearly stated every single time that though I was disappointed with the form factor not changing I would still be buying the 4S.

Do a search, if you doubt.
  • Reply 67 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Both of mine have shipped as well. They have already left China. Unless they sit in customs for a few days, they will arrive very early.

Did you buy from Apple or a carrier?
  • Reply 68 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If I just wanted a good phone, I'd look at usability as a Phone (address book, voicemail, etc.) and build quality. It is really hard to beat the previous iPhone 4 in both of these regards. The quality of the iPhone 4 was a big step up from the 3s which has a quality similar to most current Android phones. The only way Android might win head to head is to drop the price to zero or offer phones without data plans to target feature phone users. Both of those scenarios are happening of course, so that will keep Android sales up. Apple hasn't indicated that they want to truly compete against feature phones right now. Basically the iPhone 4 and 3s are just half-hearted attempts. Android however is definitely going after the feature phone crowd.

I just realized how Android IS becoming a feature phone platform. 3D phones and whatnot. Which is cool. But I see that Apple IS hardware AND software.
  • Reply 69 of 205
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

EVERYTHING that has a begininng has an end.

Tell me one consumer electronic product that has been on top forever. Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.

Dinosaurs...uhm...the Romans...no...oh I know!! COCKROACHES!!
  • Reply 70 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

You would probably have to talk to someone at an AT&T store about getting your account set up early. Don't know if this is even possible. I doubt it's necessary though. Also, I heard that Apple is limiting preorders to 1 per customer, and I don't know if this also applies to in-store sales on launch day. You might have to bring your whole family with you!

Lol, but they're just getting regular iPhone 4s (not the 4S). Do you still think I can pick up 1 4S and two 4s? Though after seeing the Siri demo my mom wants the 4S now!
  • Reply 71 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Dinosaurs...uhm...the Romans...no...oh I know!! COCKROACHES!!

Oh, wait never mind. Damn, my theory was destroyed. Perhaps the reason for the success of the iPhone forever is the cockroaches! Yes! Yes! That gives me an idea.....who wants to start the TRUE competitor to Apple (powered by roaches)!
  • Reply 72 of 205
    Quote:

EVERYTHING that has a begininng has an end.

Tell me one consumer electronic product that has been on top forever. Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.

Everything, it seems... except inane posts by naysayers with an agenda!
  • Reply 73 of 205
    Chinese Empire is still going strong. After a re-branding.
  • Reply 74 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

An agenda.....for global warming emergency kits?
  • Reply 75 of 205
    Quote:

Then technically it's not the same.

Just like how japanese tentacle.....wait never mind.
  • Reply 76 of 205
    Quote:

I wonder if Mr Steve's passing has had an affect....

It might have had a small one but likely that's it. A few of the technosnobs on the boards might have dropped their snobbery and decided to get the phone

Truth is that most of the world (like 95%) doesn't read the blogs, doesn't read the analysts etc and has no idea that there were ever rumors of a better iPhone or that this release is 'crap'
  • Reply 77 of 205
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

If by empire, you are referring to the current communist regime, well, it hasn't been around that long. Furthermore, it is communist by authority but not perhaps in a practical sense.
  • Reply 78 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I pictured some guy living in a cave... designing the first wheel by scratching designs on his cave wall... he steps out to kill a deer and when he comes back somebody has etched the wheel with a line through it and a caricature of the wheel designer... the equivalent of, "Wheel never sell. Idiot designs wheel. LOL!".
  • Reply 79 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by metsgl View Post

Did you buy from Apple or a carrier?

I purchased both from Apple.
  • Reply 80 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If by empire, you are referring to the current communist regime, well, it hasn't been around that long. Furthermore, it is communist by authority but not perhaps in a practical sense.

No I wasn't referring to the current communist regime. That communist regime is the rebranding of the Chinese Empire. It didn't break up.

But way off topic.