iPhone 4S, iOS 5 dramatically boost BrowserMark scores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Benchmarks performed on Apple's new iPhone 4S demonstrate a huge leap in performance over the existing iPhone 4, although iOS 5 also improves the performance of Apple's existing devices.

iOS 5 to boost existing iPhone speeds

A recent benchmark scoring of popular smartphone models depicted Apple's iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1 as achieving a score of 31,375 in Rightware's BrowserMark suite of tests, aimed at profiling the web browser proficiency of a system.

A number of smartphones have beat Apple's former flagship model in BrowserMark scores, with the super fast Motorola Atrix 4G, LG Optimus 2X and Samsung Galaxy S II all ranking in the ballpark of 50 to 53,000.

Those phones have significantly faster processors than last year's iPhone 4 with its single core A4 chip, which appears to run at around 800MHz. The Motorola Atrix and LG Optimux 2X use a dual core 1GHz chip, while Samsung's Galaxy S II has a dual core chip that runs at 1.2 GHz.

When upgraded to iOS 5 however, today's existing iPhone 4 achieves a score in the same zone as newer dual core chips: in our test, we achieved a score of 51,302. Users can run the test on their own devices at bit.ly/brmark.

A link on Rightware's site notes that among "popular phones," the iPhone 3GS scores 26,897, the Google Nexus One scores 23,726, the Motorola Droid achieves 14,918, and Nokia's N900 running Firefox hits 8,646.

New iPhone 4S even faster

According to a video of the new phone published by mictvstation, the new iPhone 4S hardware achieves a score of 89,567, a score over 74 percent faster than the existing iPhone.

While Apple has announced hitting preorder sales of over a million iPhone 4S models in its first day on sale, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS handsets are also racking up big sales after recent price drops.

The CPU specifications of new Android models like the speedy Motorola Atrix and HTC Inspire haven't enabled those devices to outsell even Apple's 2009 iPhone 3GS among AT&T shoppers.

iPhone 4 has remained the top selling US smartphone at both AT&T and Verizon.

Now that Sprint will also be selling both the iPhone 4S and a discounted new 8GB iPhone 4 model, the popularity of Apple's smartphone lineup is set to continue its trajectory, with iOS 5 helping to keep previous models competitive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    I'm impressed!
  • Reply 2 of 62
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    leave it to Apple to show how great software engineering can blow out the competition
  • Reply 3 of 62
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    So many people complained in this forum when Apple released an upgraded phone instead of an all-new one. I have never seen such a collective online temper tantrum before. Glad to now see articles vindicating Apple completely. Again, Steve Jobs did the right thing, allowing another year with the same form factor for the huge accessories market. And not releasing a battery-guzzling LTE phone before the LTE chips were ready.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Various benchmarks don't really mean much to me. The only thing that matters is real world performance. Sometimes the benchmarks correspond with that, and sometimes they don't. I am betting that with not only a dual core, but also a faster one at that along with iOS 5 this benchmark is one I hope corresponds very well with a much faster browsing experience. Very excited to get my first iPhone.

Just got my tracking # today from Sprint. Looks like only 4 days to wait.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with Sprint once you have had your phone awhile. I have been considering the move to them.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Various benchmarks don't really mean much to me. The only thing that matters is real world performance. Sometimes the benchmarks correspond with that, and sometimes they don't. I am betting that with not only a dual core, but also a faster one at that along with iOS 5 this benchmark is one I hope corresponds very well with a much faster browsing experience. Very excited to get my first iPhone.

I held off my purchase. I want to see real world tests of the phone between the various carriers etc. Also, the unlock of the GSM on the CDMA carriers is an unknown
  • Reply 7 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The A5 is a very nice chip. I should know, because I've been using it in my iPad 2 for many months now! iPhone 4S owners will be very happy. Games, graphics and performance is just great!

And the whiners, well, they'll never be happy. Can we just start on online donation for these people and get them some rope to help put them out of their misery? I would gladly donate to such a worthy cause.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Being a current 3GS owner on ATT, I'm really excited about the possibility here. I REALLY hope that this is indeed accurate in that the browser experience will be much faster. Right now my order via Apple still shows as "Preparing for Shipment" with a delivery date of Oct 14th. I'm really hoping to get it a day early, but we'll see.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Who cares about performance and real world use? My phone has an 8" screen, weighs more than the iMac, and is too big to fit in my pocket - and I like it that way.

• Reply 10 of 62
    Same processor and browser as the iPhone 4S

Yes, that is 103,057

as in one hundred three thousand and fifty seven.

• Reply 11 of 62
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

I held off my purchase. I want to see real world tests of the phone between the various carriers etc. Also, the unlock of the GSM on the CDMA carriers is an unknown

That's my situation too. If Sprint sells the phone with GSM unlocked then I will ditch AT&T. I travel enough internationally that it is really a pain to deal with SIM-Locked phones.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Same processor and browser as the iPhone 4S

Yes, that is 103,057

as in one hundred three thousand and fifty seven.

The A5 in the iPhone 4S is most likely slightly underclocked compared to the iPad 2.

The A4 chip in the previous iPhone 4 was also slightly underclocked compared to the original iPad. This is obviously most likely due to the much smaller size of the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    I wonder what graphics are possible on the new A5 chip. I mean, we have yet to see anything built from the ground up (DON'T count Infinity Blade)......
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Who cares about performance and real world use? My phone has an 8" screen, weighs more than the iMac, and is too big to fit in my pocket - and I like it that way.

You kids get off my lawn!
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alew View Post

leave it to Apple to show how great software engineering can blow out the competition

errr how? Sure this shows a great improvement over iPhone 4, but it's only in line (and even slightly behind) competing phones/processors that have been out for 6-8 months already. This chart doesn't even show OMAP4. How will that 51k look in 3 months?

Color me not that impressed.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My iPhone 6 scores 127,429 ; )
  • Reply 17 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At least I seem to remember something to that effect being indicated in the past.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The A5 in the iPhone 4S is most likely slightly underclocked compared to the iPad 2.

The A4 chip in the previous iPhone 4 was also slightly underclocked compared to the original iPad. This is obviously most likely due to the much smaller size of the iPhone.

Life would be so much easier if Apple published all specs for the iPhone instead of selectively hiding them.
  • Reply 18 of 62

deleted

• Reply 19 of 62
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

AT&T & Verizon have capped their data plans. Yet, with the use of more cloud computing & faster phones that can crunch more data in a given time, many people may soon easily go over their caps & be billed for the additional usage, yielding a huge rally of complaints. I retained, & still pay extra for, my unlimited usage, because I'd hate to pay $10 for an extra gig if I went over the cap by 25 megabytes, & I don't have to worry. However, a guy on a capped plan, passing the time while his girl shops for shoes, might watch/stream numerous trailers of movies that are out now. With the faster phone, that would be a lot of data in just a 1/2 hour session. Of course, you can buy more data, & you may have to, as higher usage levels become the norm.

I am no expert, but I think your concerns are not warranted. Your phone still stores a lot of stuff locally in the iCloud environment. For example, your music will stay on your phone, not in the cloud. Besides, you should consider using wifi when you are refreshing your data. If nothing else, wifi speed should beat 3G/4G speed and save your battery at the same time
  • Reply 20 of 62

deleted