Facebook launches official app for Apple's iPad on App Store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Facebook Monday afternoon revealed it is set to launch its long-awaited official application for the iPad, as a free download on Apple's App Store.

Though it is not yet available to download on the App Store, the software was outed Monday afternoon in a story from Reuters. The software arrives alongside support for social games, like Zynga's Farmville, on the mobile versions of the website.

As for the mobile games, the company's iPhone application will not support the "Credits" currency for social titles, because of Apple's terms of service for software available on the App Store. Third-party application developers will be required to support Credits in the mobile versions of their Facebook games.

Of course, Apple does not control content available in the Safari browser on the iPhone and iPad, meaning players of games like Farmville will be able to purchase credits by accessing the mobile version of the website rather than the devoted application.

Facebook has touted that its new application is a "new way to experience" the social networking service. Features of the official iPad application include:

Enjoy bigger, better photos: Your photos take on new life on the iPad. They're big, high-res and easy to flip through—like a real photo album.

Focus on what matters: With less on the screen, it's easier to zoom in on your friends' photos, updates and stories.

Navigate anywhere, fast" Just tap, slide or pinch to get from one screen to another and back again in no time.

Never lose your place: Use simplified navigation to send a message, see your notifications or browse your bookmarks without switching screens.

Play games on the go: Play your favorite Facebook games wherever you are, and on a bigger screen.

Tap to send messages: A simple dropdown menu makes it easy to scan and send messages without visiting your inbox.

Rumors have existed for months that Facebook has been working on a version of its iOS application designed to take advantage of the 9.7-inch display of the iPad. In the absence of an official Facebook application, options like "MyPad" and "Friendly" have sought to fill the void.

An official site set up for the Facebook for iPad software links to the existing Facebook application for the iPhone on the App Store. That means that when it's available, iPad support will come from a universal application with support for both the iPhone and iPad included.

A full-fledged iPad application was found hidden within the existing Facebook application for iPhone earlier this month. It could be enabled and accessed through a tweak, though the social networking service quickly blocked access for unauthorized users.

Prior to last week's iPhone 4S event, there were rumors that Facebook could release its official iPad software to coincide with the event, but those claims proved to be inaccurate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...now available to download for free form the App Store.

Though it is not yet available to download...

Nice.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    I am still not a fan of FB. But, this is a good piece of news for many.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    "Facebook launches official app for Apple's iPad on App Store"

True, apart from the fact (as mentioned in the article) it's not on the app store, so in what way have they launched on the app store?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    It's showing up in my App Store Updates section now here in the UK... seems pretty good for the 10 minutes or so I've spent with it.

While I've mostly used the website on my iPad 2 that doesn't let you upload photos so the clunky chunky iPhone app was also a requirement. This looks like it should be the best of both worlds in one place.

I'm still not exactly sure what (beyond politics and gamesmanship) took them 18 months to sort this out.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Facebook for iPad is now available in App store. It's a universal App, so it is also the iPhone/Touch version.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    It wasn't there at first, but I've since checked again and it's up.

The downside: at least for me, it crashes immediately. I've rebooted my iPad with no effect. I am jailbroken, though Â? is it working any better for those of you on stock iOS? (i.e. it's conceivable they designed it to fail on JB'd devices Ã* la iBooks, and we'll have to wait a few hours or days for the fix to arrive via Cydia)
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

The downside: at least for me, it crashes immediately. I've rebooted my iPad with no effect. I am jailbroken, though ? is it working any better for those of you on stock iOS?

Had a bit of a refresh issue switching between the sections in the left hand swipe out bit at first, but since quitting and reloading the app it's been pretty solid on my iOS 4.3.5 iPad 2.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Just downloaded the new FB app and it runs and looks great on my first gen ipad.

My ONLY beef, is that although it is super easy to post pictures now which is Awesome....there is still no way to post a video link with a thumbnail. In the past you were able to paste a link in, and it would create a thumbnail of the webpage or video for you. Then they got rid of that for the ipad, and i was hoping this update would bring it back.

From what i see so far, the answer is no they didn't.

Anyone else find it?

Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I too was abled to download the new FB app but it only crashes on launch on my first gen ipad. I did the usual restart etc and will wait to hear from the rest of the wold rather than be on the bleeding edge myself. --Mark
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Uninstalled and re-downloaded the app, and it seems fine now.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark de Solla Price View Post

I too was abled to download the new FB app but it only crashes on launch on my first gen ipad. I did the usual restart etc and will wait to hear from the rest of the wold rather than be on the bleeding edge myself. --Mark

I had the same thing happen, and I was using the jail broken version. Just delete the App and reinstall it, that worked for me.

Cheers.

J\\
  • Reply 12 of 22

deleted

• Reply 13 of 22
    It shows up in the New Zealand store as 4.0 but the download is 3.5a.

I'll give it another go after lunch.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Who the "f" cares about facebook!!!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    What has gotten eclipsed in this story is that the iPhone app itself has undergone a MAJOR overhaul. It's much cleaner and faster to access the various parts of the app instantly. There doesn't seem to be any way to scroll immediately to the most recent stories as you can on the website, and they removed the ability to create "favorites" on the app's home screen. In fact, you can't even view lists of friends you created on the website. If you want to visit a particular person, you have to either search for their name or scroll the list of all your friends - no more shortcuts.

Oh well. It does feel modern, at least.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    iPad Facebook ver. 4 is on iTunes. I'm using an iphone4 32gig. The conflict with yahoo messenger is gone. It has a really nice bar on the left to launch newsfeed, friends, etc. Seems alot faster too.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

Who the "f" cares about Facebook!!!

• > 800 million active users of which >400 million log on on any given day

• > 2 billion posts are liked and commented on per day

• > 250 million photos are uploaded per day on average

• Available in > 70 languages

• > 7 million apps and websites are integrated with Facebook

• > 350 million active mobile users

http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

• Reply 18 of 22
    Can't share posts from another poster which is a bummer.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    Updating the app on iPad 1 and iPhone 4 and rebooting the devices didn't work for me.

I had to delete and reinstall the app, but everything works well now.

The user interface is pretty nice.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    The new app is garbage and shows they just gave up. Rather then take advantage of iOS, all they did was make the app look and work almost exactly like the website, while killing all the UI features of the previous version.

It may be faster, but it's a whole lot harder to use then before- expect to use the search bar all the time rather then 1 tap shortcuts. And obvious things like upload of multiple pictures and filtering your stream by group are completely missing.