iPad now 97% of tablet traffic, eclipses iPhone, iOS remains mobile leader

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new market research report notes that mobile devices now amount to almost 7 percent of all US web traffic, with Apple's iOS representing a 58.5 percent slice of all mobile traffic and the iPad now accounting for more traffic than iPhones.

The growth of mobile devices has claimed a 6.8 percent chunk of US web traffic from conventional PCs, according to a new report by comScore.

Of that segment, about two thirds of the traffic is from mobile phones and a remaining third is being generated by tablet users. The group notes that Apple's iPad now accounts for 97.2 percent of all tablet-originating web traffic, driving home the reality that competitors have not yet released a significant tablet competitor.

Among iOS users, iPad now accounts for 46.8 percent of all traffic generated, making it now a more prolific tool than the iPhone for mobile web use, which represents 42.6 percent of iOS traffic.

An increasingly important market segment

The firm also outlined why the growth of tablet traffic is significant, noting that almost half of tablet owners have completed purchases using their tablet.

"Tablet owners exhibited significant use of their devices throughout the entire online shopping process," comScore reported, "from doing the initial planning, conducting product and store research, making price comparisons, to finally transacting. In the past month, more than half of tablet owners looked up product or price information for a specific store (56 percent) and read customer ratings and reviews while on a tablet (54 percent)."

The group added, "the incremental reach through mobile and connected devices should not be underestimated," pointing out that, "in August 2011, the additional mobile and connected device audience for Pandora accounted for more than half of their total cross-platform audience."

Who rules the mobile world? Girls! No iOS

"Although the Android platform accounts for the highest share of the smartphone market (43.7 percent in August)," comScore stated, "its total audience among mobile and connected devices in current use is eclipsed by the Apple iOS audience.

"The iOS platform had the highest share of connected devices and smartphones in use at 43.1 percent, fueled by the iPad?s dominance in the tablet market, while Android accounted for 34.1 percent of the total mobile and connected device universe."

While Apple has a minor lead over Android with iOS as a mobile platform in terms of its installed base (unique users), it has a major lead in the mobile traffic those users engage in.

"When measuring market share of Internet traffic by platform," comScore explained, "iOS accounted for more than half (58.5 percent) of the share of total non-computer traffic in the U.S. Android OS ranked second, delivering 31.9 percent of overall non-computer traffic in August. With iOS having a significantly higher share of traffic (58.5 percent) compared to its share of devices (43.1 percent), it suggests that iOS users are heavier-than-average consumers of Internet content."

It has been speculated that the huge divergence between Android's popularity (sales of Android-based phones have outnumbered iPhone sales most of this year) and its minority presence in web analytics is due to the fact that the majority of low end devices now use Android, including basic models that work like feature phones. That results in impressive sales figures for Android as a platform, but does not translate into a comparably important software platform for apps, nor an equally important market demographic.

That reality has helps make it clear why the supposed "avalanche" of new Android tablets failed to materialize as a real challenger to the iPad over the past year, just as Steve Jobs had predicted last October.

Unlike mobile phones, which existed as a major market long before the iPhone, tablets have never taken off prior to the release of iPad, making the new device a market unto itself much like the iPod had been. Apple's music player has not been significantly challenged in sales by any competitor over the past decade.

If Apple can maintain a similar competitive lead with the iPad over the next decade, it will not only maintain dominance over mobile devices and the App Store software that runs on them, but also continue to eat up the market currently held by conventional computers on one end while its own conventional computers vie for market share within that market itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    So many bogus analyst reports have suggested that iPad had only a 70%, 60%, or 50% tablet marketshare. It's nice to finally have a peek at reality (97%).
  • Reply 2 of 45
    lotta big numbers in that article, but the math suggests iPads are... what... 2% of all US web traffic?
  • Reply 3 of 45
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    I love stories like this... Read me another one!
  • Reply 4 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Screw all other tablets! And screw Fandroids too, the most clueless and ignorant people on the planet.

Nobody is buying any other tablets! People need to quit quoting bogus 'shipped to retailers' numbers. The reality is that nobody wants the other tablets, besides a few fools and really poor people who happen to wet their pants when they can get a crappy failed tablet for $99 on a firesale.

And the few unfortunate morons who do buy other tablets are apparently not using them!

Some people are using them primarily as a doorstop, while a few other angry people have already thrown their useless tablets into the trash!

97% of entire tablet traffic is iPad!

What a way to totally dominate, kick ass, obliterate the competition, putting all pathetic Fandroids to shame and totally humiliating these clueless creatures.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

lotta big numbers in that article, but the math suggests iPads are... what... 2% of all US web traffic?

But some key stats would include:

Is it more or less than 2% of devices?

What proportion of total mobile browsing is it?

How quickly has it achieved each point of browsing share

How quickly is it growing (by devices and usage/per device)

I would guess that all of these stats show the iPad to be the superstar it is... 5% next year, 10% the year after that... as people adjust their internet use cases from laptop/desktop to tablet and most specifically to iPad. I already do the majority of my ecommerce on the iPad. The Amazon WindowShop and Ebay apps are a joy to use compared to the websites. And while I'm there, I now get my passwords off the laptop to be able to complete a transaction via the iPad in many cases. I should probably invest in a good password vault app on the iPad.

This study shows that quality matters... quality of owner drives quality of usage... lots of cheap android handsets are a false stat to determine anything useful; monetization, developer opportunity, readership subs potential, content quality, etc. One should really understand the sales of mid-upper range androids and what their owners create/use to get more of an apples to apples understanding... including the long-tail of Android just drags the whole platform down.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    This is false because fandroids really, really, really want it to be.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    It's interesting to me that tech media and reporters in general seem overly fascinated with the raw market share numbers where Android is kicking iOS's ass. But it seems inevitable that once you get down into any of the details and dig down into any other metric beyond number of units sold, iOS is the more robust platform of the two.

Strange that when you scratch the surface, iOS is clearly the better of the two platforms, and yet so many sales go to Android.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    IOS traffic should increase dramatically starting next Wednesday, when iCloud becomes widely available.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Screw all other tablets! And screw Fandroids too, the most clueless and ignorant people on the planet.

Nobody is buying any other tablets! People need to quit quoting bogus 'shipped to retailers' numbers. The reality is that nobody wants the other tablets, besides a few fools and really poor people who happen to wet their pants when they can get a crappy failed tablet for $99 on a firesale.

And the few unfortunate morons who do buy other tablets are apparently not using them!

Some people are using them primarily as a doorstop, while a few other angry people have already thrown their useless tablets into the trash!

What a way to totally dominate, kick ass, obliterate the competition, putting all pathetic Fandroids to shame and totally humiliating these clueless creatures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

This is false because fandroids really, really, really want it to be.

Get a grip and relax. Just enjoy your own devices and let world peace happen on its own.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

More or less.

But how often do people send emails with large attachments from a tablet or smartphone? How often do people access Dropbox to download large files onto their iDevice?

So far, not often.

This will change, starting next Wednesday. We can expect iTraffic to double if not triple in a matter of months after iCloud becomes publicly available.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

See what I mean? Unprovoked yet vile and rude. Yet if I were to reply in kind I'm labeled a troll. Pathetic. People who like what you don't must be lesser than you? Get over yourself.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Get a grip and relax. Just enjoy your own devices and let world peace happen on its own.

Sorry! I prefer war!

I have no idea why even certain people bother to visit this site or any Apple site for that matter. I can smell Fandroids from a mile away, and these people are lucky that I'm not a mod, because I would have banned them ages ago!

I also derive great pleasure from mocking clueless people, and Fandroids can expect only one thing from now on, and that is to be mocked, ridiculed and put in their place. Android sucks donkey balls, and I'm not interesting in reading the delusional rantings of brainwashed and sad Fandroid liars on an Apple site.

If it were up to me, anybody not running an OS X or iOS device wouldn't even be able to access this site. I would block them.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:

Sorry! I prefer war!

I have no idea why even certain people bother to visit this site or any Apple site for that matter. I can smell Fandroids from a mile away, and these people are lucky that I'm not a mod, because I would have banned them ages ago!

I also derive great pleasure from mocking clueless people, and Fandroids can expect only one thing from now on, and that is to be mocked, ridiculed and put in their place. Android sucks donkey balls, and I'm not interesting in reading the delusional rantings of brainwashed and sad Fandroid liars on an Apple site.

If it were up to me, anybody not running an OS X or iOS device wouldn't even be able to access this site. I would block them.

I feel sorry for your children.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I feel sorry for your children.

And I feel likewise sorry for the children of all Fandroid people.

I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, they will all be given brand new iPhones and iPads to enjoy!

Giving an Android device to a child can almost be likened to child abuse. It severely limits the learning potential of the kids. I would never be such a bad parent.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:

I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, they will all be given brand new iPhones and iPads to enjoy!

Giving an Android device to a child can almost be likened to child abuse. It severely limits the learning potential of the kids. I would never be such a bad parent.

The point was the fact that you don't seem to understand the fact that nothing is one size fits all and some people really do like things that you do not.

I'm going to guess you are a white straight male. Possibly Christian. And judging from your sense of entitlement probably privileged. Suppose your son is a gay Atheist? Or your daughter wishes to bartend at a strip club. Or maybe your son likes fat girls. Or a billion other off the wall things people can like that you wont. How would you react?

You are the most radical of the Apple Defense League and the most nonsensical. Ironically if you weren't pro Apple (therefore seen as one of them) people would realize you're the biggest troll here.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Actually, Android will always have a place in people's homes especially if you have kids.

Just buy them the cheap junk of an Android tablet since they're going to abuse and break them. They will be cheap and disposable (like most Android tablets are) so financial impact is minimal.

When they've "graduated" to more responsibility, that's where Apple's products come in.

Cheap-junk = Android. Saying you're "ready" = iOS hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Actually, Android will always have a place in people's homes especially if you have kids.

Just buy them the cheap junk of an Android tablet since they're going to abuse and break them. They will be cheap and disposable (like most Android tablets are) so financial impact is minimal.

When they've "graduated" to more responsibility, that's where Apple's products come in.

Cheap-junk = Android. Saying you're "ready" = iOS hardware.

This doesn't actually make sense. As both tablets pretty much rely on the apps available and the ecosystem. On it's own the iPad is an app launcher (not necessarily a flaw). An android tablet with no market is more usable than an iPad with no market.

Why do you think the commercials focus on the apps?
  • Reply 18 of 45
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

The group notes that Apple's iPad now accounts for 97.2 percent of all tablet-originating web traffic, driving home the reality that competitors have not yet released a significant tablet competitor.

Didn't Tim Cook just say last Tuesday that iPad only accounts for two-thirds of tablets sold? If so, he must have been feeling generous and using reported units shipped, not sold. No other manufacturer is willing to report their units sold, and now we know why.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    The iPad has so many advantages over it's competitors, I'm not so sure they will ever catch up.

The fact is Apple introduced the iPad at the right time with just the right amount of polish. Competitors, unsurprisingly, are unwilling to admit they missed the boat. One problem they could rectify pretty easily is to make adverts, at the end of which, you know what was just advertised.

The President is walking around with an iPad. You can't get much better marketing than that.

iPads are replacing text books in schools and paper manuals in plane cockpits, charts in hospitals and more.

I really think the mortar is set on this one. A shame really. As much as I like the iPad, I recognize the value of competition.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

I've been a mac fanatic since 1990 and by your standards, am obviously of superior intellect and I am quite sure you are an idiot.