iPhone 4S, iOS 5 dramatically boost BrowserMark scores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62

Here's the new image including iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 (iOS 5 updated)
  • Reply 22 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Bewdy mate, this SIRI thing has strine English, bonza news.

Launching on the 14th many hours before you mob get it.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

So many people complained in this forum when Apple released an upgraded phone instead of an all-new one. I have never seen such a collective online temper tantrum before.

jejeje ... you must be new here!
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

errr how? Sure this shows a great improvement over iPhone 4, but it's only in line (and even slightly behind) competing phones/processors that have been out for 6-8 months already. This chart doesn't even show OMAP4. How will that 51k look in 3 months?

Color me not that impressed.

How about we color you - "don't read the entire article" - The current iPhone4 running iOS 5 gets a score of 51.3K the iPhone4S has a score of 89.6K.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Life would be so much easier if Apple published all specs for the iPhone instead of selectively hiding them.

How would that make life easier? Would your games be any faster if Apple told you the clock speed? Would your phone download email faster if Apple told you the clock speed? Would you be able to store more music on your iPhone if you knew the clock speed?

The specs don't mean much of anything to anyone but a few geeks. Look at the iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0 and compare it to the Tegra phones. Tegra is obviously a far more powerful CPU, but the iPhone holds its own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post

Look at the iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0. Even with a processor that's far slower than the Tegra, iPhone holds its own. That says a LOT about software efficiency.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

I held off my purchase. I want to see real world tests of the phone between the various carriers etc. Also, the unlock of the GSM on the CDMA carriers is an unknown

I can tell you that Sprint has already had several "world phones" with GSM. Including my previous HTC Touch Pro 2. They make it difficult to use GSM here in the U.S. with AT&T and T-Mobile for example, but it is very easy to use it overseas with any carrier you want. Just pop in a SIM card in your carrier of choice in the country and you are good to go. I used it in Asia and Europe without any problems. I doubt the iPhone 4S will be any different. Assuming you can find a micro-Sim card to work in the country you are visiting.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Sunspider and Browsermark are javascript benchmarks. It's not an indication that everything in the phone will be faster, only javascript code. Most of the gain came in iOS 4.3. iOS 5.0 supposedly uses the same rendering architecture as Safari 5.1, which probably includes more tuning.

There are still things even in mobile Safari that could be improved. There's still low-hanging fruit. UI caching could be improved for less checkerboarding during scrolling. Better fixed-frame rendering to preserved where and how the contents looks and behave could done. (Hate it when webpage elements shift during load). And prefetching based on usage patterns could be done. Lots of work and optimizations could be done.

Don't worry though. People upgrading from the iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, and 4 are going to see real live all-around performance improvements. At least 25% per clock due to the A9 alone. With 2 A9 cores, system performance should be smooth and less hiccupy. And 7x graphics? Huge.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look at the iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0. Even with a processor that's far slower than the Tegra, iPhone holds its own. That says a LOT about software efficiency.

Sunspider and Rightware Browsermark are single threaded so they are only comparing one core + javascript JIT performance.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Ok, so what's the CPU speed on the 4S?!

I took the test on my 3GS and got a 38,604 score on iOS 5...

Oh yea -- Ron Paul 2012!
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Where on the company's website is this updated? I could not easily find it...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post

• Reply 31 of 62
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

errr how? Sure this shows a great improvement over iPhone 4, but it's only in line (and even slightly behind) competing phones/processors that have been out for 6-8 months already. This chart doesn't even show OMAP4. How will that 51k look in 3 months?

Color me not that impressed.

These test results ARE for the old iPhone 4 with the new IOS 5 software. Thus, the only change was the software. Ergo, this is a demonstration of good software engineering drastically increasing performance with no change in hardware.

i for one am relieved to have drastically improved performance (software and hardware combined) as I lost my iPhone 4 to a thief and was not done enjoying that design. So to get a beter phone in the same package makes me extremely happy.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    How do we know if it is not something to do with webkit on iOS 5?

I mean, I just ran the test, and I scored about the same 52000ish on iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

But I am not sure if it reflects the true performance of the phone.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

So many people complained in this forum when Apple released an upgraded phone instead of an all-new one. I have never seen such a collective online temper tantrum before. Glad to now see articles vindicating Apple completely. Again, Steve Jobs did the right thing, allowing another year with the same form factor for the huge accessories market. And not releasing a battery-guzzling LTE phone before the LTE chips were ready.

Strongly agree. BUT, it would have been *great* if Cook had presented some of the factoids that have come out since the launch - such as this score. It would have led to a lot less grumbling.

The thing that struck me about the launch was that it wasn't as heavy on the plaudits as Jobs' launches of prior phones / iPads. Maybe that's just Cook's style; maybe people were distracted by Jobs' health (heck, maybe he was supposed to have appeared and presented some of these factoids, and they had to change the presentation at the last minute).
  • Reply 34 of 62
    kre62kre62 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Benchmarks performed on Apple's new iPhone 4S demonstrate a huge leap in performance over the existing iPhone 4, although iOS 5 also improves the performance of Apple's existing devices.

iOS 5 to boost existing iPhone speeds

A recent benchmark scoring of popular smartphone models depicted Apple's iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1 as achieving a score of 31,375 in Rightware's BrowserMark suite of tests, aimed at profiling the web browser proficiency of a system.

A number of smartphones have beat Apple's former flagship model in BrowserMark scores, with the super fast Motorola Atrix 4G, LG Optimus 2X and Samsung Galaxy S II all ranking in the ballpark of 50 to 53,000.

Those phones have significantly faster processors than last year's iPhone 4 with its single core A4 chip, which appears to run at around 800MHz. The Motorola Atrix and LG Optimux 2X use a dual core 1GHz chip, while Samsung's Galaxy S II has a dual core chip that runs at 1.2 GHz.

When upgraded to iOS 5 however, today's existing iPhone 4 achieves a score in the same zone as newer dual core chips: in our test, we achieved a score of 51,302. Users can run the test on their own devices at bit.ly/brmark.

A link on Rightware's site notes that among "popular phones," the iPhone 3GS scores 26,897, the Google Nexus One scores 23,726, the Motorola Droid achieves 14,918, and Nokia's N900 running Firefox hits 8,646.

New iPhone 4S even faster

According to a video of the new phone published by mictvstation, the new iPhone 4S hardware achieves a score of 89,567, a score over 42 percent faster than the existing iPhone.

While Apple has announced hitting preorder sales of over a million iPhone 4S models in its first day on sale, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS handsets are also racking up big sales after recent price drops.

The CPU specifications of new Android models like the speedy Motorola Atrix and HTC Inspire haven't enabled those devices to outsell even Apple's 2009 iPhone 3GS among AT&T shoppers.

iPhone 4 has remained the top selling US smartphone at both AT&T and Verizon.

Now that Sprint will also be selling both the iPhone 4S and a discounted new 8GB iPhone 4 model, the popularity of Apple's smartphone lineup is set to continue its trajectory, with iOS 5 helping to keep previous models competitive.

Your number of a 42% increase for the 4 is incorrect.

The formula for determining performance increase is (New-Old)/Old

So it would be 89567-51302/51302, or 38265/51302, or 74.58% increase!
  • Reply 35 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Life would be so much easier if Apple published all specs for the iPhone instead of selectively hiding them.

I totally disagree with this. Exactly how would it make life easier? Are we not yet beyond the threshold where publishing internals is important to the majority of consumers that Apple markets to?

I mean really! I truly believe from all my iPhone-owning friends that they couldn't care any less that the iPhone is a single-core and the Android phones are dual-core, or they have twice the RAM. They really, truly do not care at all.

What they do care is that (with less hardware "horsepower" just to say) is that the iPhone is a polished product, looks great, runs great, and doesn't suffer from the low-quality system and software issues that Android phones presents, and doesn't need tech-heads like us to figure it out. Couple that with Apple's customer service, and that seals the deal.

Only the very small vocal minority of users care which represents a small percentage of Apple's revenue. I'd like to know just out of curiosity but I certainly will not base my next phone simply because one is dual-core, or the other has more RAM. I'm beyond that, and if you think most people do care, then I have a bridge to sell you in Nevada.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kre62 View Post

Your number of a 42% increase for the 4 is incorrect.

The formula for determining performance increase is (New-Old)/Old

So it would be 89567-51302/51302, or 38265/51302, or 74.58% increase!

+1

I was going to mention this as well!
  • Reply 37 of 62
    mrslymrsly Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The A5 in the iPhone 4S is most likely slightly underclocked compared to the iPad 2.

The A4 chip in the previous iPhone 4 was also slightly underclocked compared to the original iPad. This is obviously most likely due to the much smaller size of the iPhone.

I want to know what's the actual clock speed of the iPad 2 then?
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Where on the company's website is this updated? I could not easily find it...

The image has been 'shopped to include the alleged iPhone 4S browsermark score.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSLY View Post

I want to know what's the actual clock speed of the iPad 2 then?

1 GHz. But it is aggressively power slewed to conserve battery. So it is dependent on workload. It is likely that the chip only hits 1 GHz for very short bursts at a time while most of the time it is running at a much lower clock rate.

There's nothing unusual about this. The vast majority of processors today do this.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    That's some serious smokin'.