Steve Jobs' cause of death officially listed as respiratory arrest

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs died of respiratory arrest caused by a pancreatic tumor, according to a copy of his death certificate.

Jobs, 56, passed away at around 3 p.m. on Oct. 5th, according to the certificate.

The document, issued Monday by The Santa Clara County Public Health Department, listed the immediate cause of death as respiratory arrest, with "metastatic pancreas neuroendocrine tumor" as an underlying cause.Â*It said Jobs had the tumor for the past five years.

In 2003, Jobs was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer call islet cell carcinoma. He underwent successful surgery to have it removed, but his death certificate reveals that a secondary metastatic tumor developed, prompting a liver transplant in 2009.

The Apple co-founder took two leaves of absence over the next two years and ultimately resigned as CEO on Aug. 24.

A pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor, also called islet cell carcinoma, is a rare form of cancer that is most likely to be passed on through genetics, as there are few known risk factors that lead to this type of illness.

Neuroendocrine tumors, which grow at a relatively slow rate, can be surgically removed. These tumors can release hormones prior to removal, which can cause recurrence or spreading of the cancer.

Only five percent of pancreatic tumors arise from islet cells, with some being "functional," meaning that they release an excess of hormones that can lead to hormone-related symptoms. In 2009, Jobs revealed that he was being treated for a hormone imbalance.

The disease is typically treated with surgery, followed by liver-directed therapy if metastases develop there, and while Jobs did undergo a liver transplant,Â* the cancer returned.Â* Â*

On his death certificate, Jobs' occupation is listed as Â?entrepreneurÂ? in the Â?high techÂ? industry. The name of the person who prepared the certificate is reportedly blacked out.

Apple informed the Palo Alto, Calif. police a few days before Jobs' death that the former CEO was expected to die, after being asked to do so by the department, in case patrols were needed to handle the possibility of large crowds of mourners gathering at his house.

Jobs was buried in a non-denominational cemetery in Santa Clara County on Oct .7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    *bows head in silence*
  • Reply 2 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Often with a terminal cancer patient it's the morphine administered for pain that actually causes the respiratory arrest and death. The patient is asleep/unconscious and does not suffer.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    He accomplished more than most people would in a lifetime, but his life's work seems incomplete. He was taken too soon from us.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Still can't believe that he's no longer with us
  • Reply 5 of 66
    ... Not to sound stupid, but... I thought he had the tumor removed...well the pancreatic cancer that is... I assume it sounds like came back? Steve, I miss yah man. You didn't know me personally... but you knew exactly what I wanted. I thank you so much for making my life so much easier and enjoyable.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    I have never felt so sad about someone I never met. Suprise the heck out of me.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    The official cause of death is the immediate cause, not the underlying cause.

My mother died in 2009 of a broken neck, a broken back, both inoperable, spinal degenerative arthritis, three major nerves pinched in her back, rheumatoid arthritis, bronchitis, pneumonia, fluid accumulating in her legs, she had stents in her legs to prevent amputation, she had had lung and breast cancer, her spine had been rebuilt surgically two times. She tachycardia. She had artificial hips, and she was allergic to the pain killers and antibiotics. She died in my house. The official cause of death in lay terms: she stopped breathing.

My father lost the ability to absorb nutrients, probably as a consequence of having polio as a boy. He wasted away until he was a skin covered skeleton. He died in my house in 2011, and in fact, I discovered the body. Cause of death: adult failure to thrive, whatever that is.

Again, the official cause of death is the immediate cause, not the underlying cause.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Does that mean he suffocated? I hope not. That's a horrible way to go :-(
  • Reply 9 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

He accomplished more than most people would in a lifetime, but his life's work seems incomplete. He was taken too soon from us.

He accomplished more in one life than most people will ever do in several lifetimes.

I truly think that even if he were to live to a ripe age of 90+, he'd still be taken from us too soon. I does have me pause to reflect what other things Steve Jobs would have accomplished and presented to the world if he lived to be in his 90's. Such a huge blow. At least, he'll be always the bar that is set for others attempt.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Respiratory arrest is the cessation of breathing. It is a medical emergency and it usually is related to or coincides with a cardiac arrest. Causes include opiate overdose, head injury, anaesthesia, tetanus, or drowning.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Does anyone have any insight regarding Steve's diet? It's my understanding that he was a Pescetarian (No meat except fish) when he was younger, but did that change as he aged/got sick?

If not, perhaps it'll be discussed in the bio.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

I agree; never felt anything like it.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    djtdjt Posts: 4member
    My mother was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer when she was 49. They did a "whipple" procedure and she was cancer free for a year. Then almost a year to the day, she started getting tumors all over her body. She died 18 months after her diagnosis at age 51. It's a very horrible cancer. I'm glad Steve got to last as long as he did.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    This is much less "news" for me as it is just grim rubbernecking. The man has died. Please let him and his family be.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'm not a doctor, but no I don't think he "suffocated' - merely that he stopped breathing. I don't mean to sound morbid, but it sounds like he was surrounded by his family, who said that he passed away peacefully - rather than a resuscitation-type situation. In addition, they've known since February that he was only his final leg, and for at least a few days beforehand, I think, that it was really imminent. He probably slipped away peacefully and his "respiration arrested. "
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Ditto. I've already had to remind myself several times that, no, he will not be doing any more keynotes. He's gone.

Having said that, I think it'd be really cool if he was the one that gives me a tour of heaven when I die and tells me how insanely awesome all of the features of heaven are. Who better to hype the after life than Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

Having said that, I think it'd be really cool if he was the one that gives me a tour of heaven when I die and tells me how insanely awesome all of the features of heaven are. Who better to hype the after life than Steve Jobs?

Buddhists don't believe in that kind of Heaven.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

... Not to sound stupid, but... I thought he had the tumor removed...well the pancreatic cancer that is... I assume it sounds like came back? Steve, I miss yah man. You didn't know me personally... but you knew exactly what I wanted. I thank you so much for making my life so much easier and enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the certificate said "metastatic tumor." It came back. He must have been fighting it for the last year or so.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Steve was robbed of decades of productive life and his family lost decades of a husband and father. It was way too soon. I am so sad still and think about Steve Jobs all day every day. I have followed his life since 1978. I can't believe he is gone.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Buddhists don't believe in that kind of Heaven.

Buddhists have a sense of humor.