iPhone 4S, iOS 5 dramatically boost BrowserMark scores

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

How do we know if it is not something to do with webkit on iOS 5?

I mean, I just ran the test, and I scored about the same 52000ish on iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

Like everyone is saying, it's both a new webkit, better JIT javascript compiler, and iPhone 5 hardware. Getting 89k with iOS 5 on an iPhone 4S is actually pretty impressive. (Unless BrowserMark is actually efficiently multithreaded, which I don't think it is).

Quote:

But I am not sure if it reflects the true performance of the phone.

Yes. It only reflects the performance of iOS 5 javascript performance.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I can tell you that Sprint has already had several "world phones" with GSM. Including my previous HTC Touch Pro 2. They make it difficult to use GSM here in the U.S. with AT&T and T-Mobile for example, but it is very easy to use it overseas with any carrier you want. Just pop in a SIM card in your carrier of choice in the country and you are good to go. I used it in Asia and Europe without any problems. I doubt the iPhone 4S will be any different. Assuming you can find a micro-Sim card to work in the country you are visiting.

I have heard this story both ways. Thus why I am waiting. If Sprint does the GSM unlocked, that's a HUGE feature that for me outweighs almost everything else.

Then again, I don't think the GSM will be unlocked by Verizon or Sprint, but I am waiting to see
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

errr how? Sure this shows a great improvement over iPhone 4, but it's only in line (and even slightly behind) competing phones/processors that have been out for 6-8 months already. This chart doesn't even show OMAP4. How will that 51k look in 3 months?

Color me not that impressed.

Uh, 51k is the current iPhone 4. In other words, the 17 month old iPhone 4 with a single ~800 Mhz A8 core is matching current top-of-the-line Android phones with two 1 Ghz A9 cores (Tegra 2) or two 1.2 Ghz A9 cores (Exynos). The iPhone 4S, with two A9 cores, scores ~90k, destroying the Android competition.

That said, I don't know how much of the performance improvement is specific to iOS 5 (vs iOS 4.3.1). I'm pretty sure Browsermark scores went up a lot when they released iOS 4.3 with the Nitro Javascript engine. The old iPhone 4 score in the bar chart is from iOS 4.2.1 (i.e., pre-Nitro).
  • Reply 44 of 62
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    The Sunspider score of 2221 is impressive compared to the GSII's (probably the current fastest Android phone) score of ~4000, almost twice as long. Nicely done.

What I'd like to see though is a quicker way of using tabbed browsing, I'm sure the dual core can put up with it just fine as third party browsers already do this on single cores. The scores are impressive, but they also show that both cores aren't used fully on single pages, so they could be used for faster multiple pages.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

(Unless BrowserMark is actually efficiently multithreaded, which I don't think it is).

Most of that is down to the browser, I think. Like on desktops, different browsers are better at using multiple cores, Chrome always seems to improve scores most with core counts (to a point, of course).
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Can someone test both Browsermark and Sunspider on a 3GS running iOS5? I'm curious now.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Bewdy mate, this SIRI thing has strine English, bonza news.

Launching on the 14th many hours before you mob get it.

Awstrayahhhhhh!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 47 of 62
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Booyeah
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Can someone test both Browsermark and Sunspider on a 3GS running iOS5? I'm curious now.

brmark: 40032

sunspider 0.9.1: 4802.3ms
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbbobbb View Post

brmark: 40032

sunspider 0.9.1: 4802.3ms

Thank you. Impressive for a 600MHz Cortex A8. I wonder if Ice Cream Sandwich will bring similar score improvements.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

Thank you. Impressive for a 600MHz Cortex A9. I wonder if Ice Cream Sandwich will bring similar score improvements.

Cortex A8

Yeah, the 3GS still holds its own. The PS2 of phones.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    iPhone 4/iOS5GM

BrowserMark score: 52,721

Sunspider 0.9.1: 3583.5ms +/- 0.3%
  • Reply 52 of 62
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

errr how? Sure this shows a great improvement over iPhone 4, but it's only in line (and even slightly behind) competing phones/processors that have been out for 6-8 months already. This chart doesn't even show OMAP4. How will that 51k look in 3 months?

It is ridiculous comments like this that reinforce the notion that the truly clueless are alive and well. This is not about my Dick is bigger than yours. It is showing that the new phone will be extremely fast and on par with the top of the line $G / LTE competition, if not better. The reality is that the entire iOS ecosystem totally blows the doors of all other comers. Period. It is not individual hardware feature comparisons - it is about the whole integrated approach of hardware, software and total platform - it is the whole enchilada! It is just like the anal-retentives that want to talk about their 8 mpxl cameras "and the iPhone's is only 5". The reality is that the iPhone's current camera has been shown to be better than most IF NOT ALL of the 8's out there.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Thank you. Impressive for a 600MHz Cortex A9. I wonder if Ice Cream Sandwich will bring similar score improvements.

So? Who the fk cares?
  • Reply 54 of 62
    That BrowserMark chart is grossly misleading. The Galaxy S2 has nowhere near that low of a score. In fact, it actually scores in the mid-90k range. And that's on the older version of Android back in June.

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld0KMsxax2I
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSLY View Post

I want to know what's the actual clock speed of the iPad 2 then?

Sixty seconds per minute, sixty minutes per hour; approximately.

Cheers
  • Reply 56 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Assuming you can find a micro-Sim card to work in the country you are visiting.

MicroSIM cards are available in most European countries. If not, you can buy a cutter for your larger SIM, for something like ? 10. or walk into a phoneshop, most cut it for you - for free. The chip on the card is the same; only the plastic is larger.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kre62 View Post

Cortex A8

Yeah, the 3GS still holds its own. The PS2 of phones.

Edit? What edit? I said A8 the first time

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So? Who the fk cares?

Uh, I do. Why do you care that I care?
  • Reply 58 of 62
    mrslymrsly Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

1 GHz. But it is aggressively power slewed to conserve battery. So it is dependent on workload. It is likely that the chip only hits 1 GHz for very short bursts at a time while most of the time it is running at a much lower clock rate.

There's nothing unusual about this. The vast majority of processors today do this.

Thanks
  • Reply 59 of 62
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

The new 51k number is for an iPhone 4, repeat, iPhone 4, not the new iPhone 4S, running the new iOS 5. In other word, iOS 5 upgrade doubled benchmark performance of iPhone 4. Which is running a single core A4 at 800mhz, and obtained performance roughly equals to competition running dual core chip at 1Ghz or above.

If you are still not impressed, then you need to get checked out.
  • Reply 60 of 62