Keep my unlimited AT&T data plan with 4GS?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
That's my question. I've been told if I do a straight buy, the answer is no. But what if my wife buys the phone for her plan, and we simpy trade phones and SIM cards (she gets my IP4.)

Alternatively, what if I buy the unlocked version of the 4GS?

Can't get a definitive answer on this from AT&T, and hoping this forum might help.

cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    If you do a new 2 year contract you DO get to keep the unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I'd be curious to know what others with the 3GS and the original unlimited data plan think about upgrade options.

It sounds like I could buy the unlocked 4S and then drop in my 3GS sim card. The only problem with this is the cost of the unlocked device.

I could get the subsidized 4S, but I assume I would be starting a new contract and suspect that they wouldn't let me keep the unlimited plan.

I don't travel outside the US often and suspect that I might as well just get the subsidized 4S and can keep the 3GS for a family member.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdburnett View Post

...I could get the subsidized 4S, but I assume I would be starting a new contract and suspect that they wouldn't let me keep the unlimited plan...

You assume correctly, but you suspect INcorrectly.

If you HAVE unlimited, and you don't change to a different plan, then you KEEP unlimited. (At least that was my experience when I pre-ordered the 4S... and also when I upgraded from the original to the 3GS.)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I upgraded from a 3G and kept my unlimited data plan. I even kept my phone plan and it's not offered anymore either.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I upgraded from a 3G and kept my unlimited data plan. I even kept my phone plan and it's not offered anymore either.

Thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 6