iPhone 4S delivered early in Germany, packaging & Siri shown off

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
One customer in Germany has been delivered an iPhone 4S early, offering a first glimpse at the packaging of the handset as well as screenshots from the device.

The iPhone 4S was delivered by German Telekom, which began accepting preorders for the handset before it was even announced, in early September. One of those early customers was fortunate enough to have received an iPhone 4S early, and images of the device were shared with Macerkopf.de (via Google Translate).

While other iPhone 4S units have been obtained early, and even thoroughly tested to demonstrate the processing power of the new A5 processor, none so far have offered a first look at the box for the iPhone 4S. The new box shows a design and even graphics similar to that of its predecessor, the iPhone 4.

Among the images is also a screenshot of the device's Siri voice recognition functionality. At launch, Siri will come with built-in support for English, German and French, while more languages and services will be added over time.

A picture of the back of the iPhone 4S shows its model number as A1387. Its predecessor, the iPhone 4, was model A1332.

For almost everyone else, the iPhone 4S will be delivered or available in stores this Friday, Oct. 14. Online preorders began last week, but Apple quickly sold out of its initial supply, and new orders are estimated to arrive in one to two weeks.

Box 1

Box 2

Apple announced on Monday that it sold a million preorders for the iPhone 4S in its first 24 hours of availability. That was a new record for the company, besting the 600,000 preorders earned by the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Box 3

Box 4

Analysts expect the iPhone 4S to continue to break records and become Apple's best-selling smartphone yet. The iPhone 4S has been predicted to sell around 3 million in its first three days of availability, helping to reach 25 million total sales in the holiday quarter.

Box 5

The iPhone 4S launches Friday in the U.S., Canada, Australia, the U.K., France, Germany and Japan. It will expand to 22 more countries by the end of October: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    I'm sad they are delaying sales of unlocked iPhones in the US until November. =/
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Looks like they're being delivered with current iOS5 GM build (9A334).
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm sad they are delaying sales of unlocked iPhones in the US until November. =/

So funny. We've waited 15 months for an updated iphone. What's another 3 weeks? :P
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Quote:

Only in the USA though, and most likely only because this is the first time the USA gets unlocked phones.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I can't get over how beautiful the iOS UI is; even down to the precision of the status bar on top. And the Retina display lets it show off its glory superbly.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    I cannot wait for iOS 5.0. With my iPhone 4, it will be like a new phone entirely. I have no remorse about not upgrading the 4s. A better camera and an A5 chip is not reason enough for me to pay $300.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I cannot wait for iOS 5.0. With my iPhone 4, it will be like a new phone entirely. I have no remorse about not upgrading the 4s. A better camera and an A5 chip is not reason enough for me to pay $300.

Not even Siri?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

+1 I have atrip to Miami in late October and was hoping to buy two unlocked 4s'
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Not even Siri?

I had Siri as a free app up until September and never used it. I find talking on the phone in public repulsive both for myself and for others who always interrupt or encroach on my quieter moments in restaurants, movies, etc. - I will use iMessage and SMS.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

Siri to me is a big pull. But if you look at it you can get the 4S and sell your 4 to at least come out even, or even likely come out ahead. Then you have a new phone and your wallet is none the wiser.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

I think you are mis-understating the value of the A5 chip. In my opinion, the 4 was a marginal upgrade over the 3GS in terms of CPU and GPU power. The retina display put an additional burden on the GPU to push out pixels (4x as what was in the 3GS) and a few apps that I had were noticeably slower on the 4.

Also, the OS and other content started taking up more space on the 4 -- again, mostly due to the retina display support. So coming from a 32GB 3GS to a 32GB 4, I had to remove items to make it fit.

Now, I'm not complaining here -- I think the 4 was an amazing device, but I'm really excited about the possibilities of the 4S. Doubling the available CPU power and having an extra 7x the GPU power will be immediately noticeable. The 4S has the CPU/GPU combo that the retina display was designed for, IMO. Getting an extra 64GB of storage will also be a huge and welcome improvement.

The camera is, as you said, also better -- I'm hoping that the 4S camera finally kills off the point and shoot for my own uses. The 4 was pretty close, but it looks like the 4S camera will finally do it.

And for those of us using AT&T here in the states, the new antenna system on the 4S should be a godsend. I've mostly adjusted my usage of the phone (I was holding it wrong, I guess ), but I still occasionally run into problems. The 4S should be a huge improvement.

Those people who are saying that the 4S aren't worth the upgrade haven't really looked into it, IMO. While I would hesitate to upgrade at the unsubsidized or partial-subsidy prices, if you have an upgrade available, I think it's a pretty compelling upgrade. Given that you can sell your old iPhone 4 or pass it down to a family member or friend, it makes it even more compelling.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

I think you are mis-understating the value of the A5 chip. In my opinion, the 4 was a marginal upgrade over the 3GS in terms of CPU and GPU power. The retina display put an additional burden on the GPU to push out pixels (4x as what was in the 3GS) and a few apps that I had were noticeably slower on the 4.

Also, the OS and other content started taking up more space on the 4 -- again, mostly due to the retina display support. So coming from a 32GB 3GS to a 32GB 4, I had to remove items to make it fit.

Now, I'm not complaining here -- I think the 4 was an amazing device, but I'm really excited about the possibilities of the 4S. Doubling the available CPU power and having an extra 7x the GPU power will be immediately noticeable. The 4S has the CPU/GPU combo that the retina display was designed for, IMO. Getting an extra 64GB of storage will also be a huge and welcome improvement.

The camera is, as you said, also better -- I'm hoping that the 4S camera finally kills off the point and shoot for my own uses. The 4 was pretty close, but it looks like the 4S camera will finally do it.

And for those of us using AT&T here in the states, the new antenna system on the 4S should be a godsend. I've mostly adjusted my usage of the phone (I was holding it wrong, I guess ), but I still occasionally run into problems. The 4S should be a huge improvement.

Those people who are saying that the 4S aren't worth the upgrade haven't really looked into it, IMO. While I would hesitate to upgrade at the unsubsidized or partial-subsidy prices, if you have an upgrade available, I think it's a pretty compelling upgrade. Given that you can sell your old iPhone 4 or pass it down to a family member or friend, it makes it even more compelling.

Thank you for your opinion and information...I am laughing here thinking of just 2 years ago and using my Motorola Razr. I think we, the 1 year product cycle watchers, have gotten amazing bang for our buck with Apple products. I think its sometimes easy to lose perspective and want for the latest and greatest when really the device we carry in our pockets is miles ahead of the current technology. I'd rather give that $300 to an orphanage in Ethiopia and feel good knowing that a dual antenna is providing someone in the States with one less dropped call per 10.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

used iPhone 4s are going for more than $300 on ebay/craigslist. that iPhone 4S upgrade doesn't have to cost you a dime.

even gazelle is giving $250 for an iPhone 4 if you don't want to go through the hassle of selling it yourself.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

I find talking on the phone in public repulsive...

Does this include public phone conversations between consenting humans?
  • Reply 15 of 60
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

I keep seeing people talking about that, and I have to disagree. Granted, I use my 3GS as my primary camera because it's always with me. But the one feature that is lacking on cell phone cameras is optical zoom. For example, when my son is out on the football field, I can't zoom in on him, I have to take a wide shot of the field.

More megapixels and higher quality images can offset the lack of this feature somewhat, by allowing you to zoom in and crop (at a loss of image size and pixel density).
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Siri to me is a big pull. But if you look at it you can get the 4S and sell your 4 to at least come out even, or even likely come out ahead. Then you have a new phone and your wallet is none the wiser.

Yup!!! i do this every year! i make 50-100 profit on every phone. i never understood why people say its a waste of money. i originally paid for 8gb iPhone 3G that one got me a 16gb iPhone 3GS and that got me my 32GB iPhone 4. works everytime!
  • Reply 17 of 60
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    My iPhone 4 got stolen, so I had to switch back to the iPhone 3G (not even S)...

Besides thanking Apple for making FindMyiPhone absolutely useless if data roaming is disabled (which it has to be considering the enormous costs of data roaming)...

I am really looking forward to the 4S, as I delayed purchase of the iPhone due to the imminent release. And using the 3G is a pain in the... well... you know.

The iPhone 4 was really a major upgrade, even if only considering the screen.

Let's hope supplies of the iPhone are not so limited, because waiting a month with the 3G would really be frustrating. It is still a good phone, but iOS 4.2 struggles like mad on it, and several apps don't work, even multitasking doesn't.

Thanks to the guy/girl/whatever, in Denmark that pick pocketed... It wasn't an investment I "really" needed to do. But hey... Siri seems fun and in general it seems a good upgrade.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

I had Siri as a free app up until September and never used it. I find talking on the phone in public repulsive both for myself and for others who always interrupt or encroach on my quieter moments in restaurants, movies, etc. - I will use iMessage and SMS.

Ah, pah-lease!

And where did you have breakfast this morning? Tiffany's?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I was up all night with my credit card ready for preordering my unlocked iPhone last Friday just to be disappointed with "Available in November"
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ah, pah-lease!

And where did you have breakfast this morning? Tiffany's?

You have never been in a restaurant and someone next to you is screaming into a cell phone? Even Tiffany's has this happen every once in a while and it makes me furious!