iPhone 4S delivered early in Germany, packaging & Siri shown off

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

What are the two different phone icons on that guys home screen?

Man, it's going to take me a while to get used to the fact that there is no longer an iPod app. Why did they separate music and video like that?
  • Reply 42 of 60
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're not meant to get a new phone every year you know. No matter how good it is. Every two years if you have a contract is perfect timing. That way you even can be more excited about the big jump.

Are you kidding me? You mention Ron Paul, but you say that one is "meant" to only have a new phone every two years? Disconnect here. Did you seriously do everything your Mom told you to do, much less listen to mindless corporations who have established that 2 years is what it takes to get their profit up to what "they" consider appropriate?

Anyhow, I didn't listen, and talked ATT into upgrading me at 1 year, for the "normal" price. Powers of persuasion, for sure. I wanted a better camera and video - NOW, not one year from now. Time is precious, and I may not BE here in one year.

Sorry for being a little critical, but no tears were shed on behalf of ATT by this consumer.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Sold my black 16gb iphone4 for $355 on ebay (jailbroken). Most are getting $340-370. Sweet.

Ha!

I sincerely hope that you don't have any problems with the iPhone 4S... (and being called a troll for posting them).

You're getting a 4S aren't you?
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm sad they are delaying sales of unlocked iPhones in the US until November. =/

I just ordered an iPhone 4s on the Canadian Apple site...said expect delivery between Oct 25 and Nov 1.

I had to use my friend's credit card and address, but when it comes she will take it to the states and send to me. Great friend, indeed.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha!

I sincerely hope that you don't have any problems with the iPhone 4S... (and being called a troll for posting them).

You're getting a 4S aren't you?

LOL. Hi Dick - you have a great memory. Yeah, I had more problems with the proximity sensor than with downloading issues. Hope the 4S has solved such issues. Also bought one for my son, who couldn't get reception where he lived in Emeryville (lives in Santa Clara now, with better reception).

Am looking forward to the camera. Just spent hundreds of hours doing a 30 minute iMovie on my iPad2, of my trip to Europe with family. Awesome shots, all done with my iphone4. Looking forward to 1080p movies, with a little less hand shaking from this old dude, due to stabilization. The iMovie looks like it was done by someone who actually did editing for a living - high praise from my son, who studied sound engineering and video at Expression. Didn't even have to use his Final Cut Pro on his Mac to do the work. Fun - did the work in between patients at work over a couple of months of walking the learning curve - worth the effort.

So - we are both looking forward to the 4S - now, if Apple can just update the Apple TV, so I can see 1080p stuff on my 65" screen - sweet.

Hope all is well in "Foreclosure Valley". Are you seeing the light at the end of this housing tunnel where you live? Hope so. Take care.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I had Siri as a free app up until September and never used it. I find talking on the phone in public repulsive both for myself and for others who always interrupt or encroach on my quieter moments in restaurants, movies, etc. - I will use iMessage and SMS.

Lmao. God forbid people SPEAK and use their voice. People like you need to disappear.

Life is far too short for your stuffy, inappropriate , stick up the ass attitude.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Lmao. God forbid people SPEAK and use their voice. People like you need to disappear.

Life is far too short for your stuffy, inappropriate , stick up the ass attitude.

I am pretty sure you're the type of person that yells and screams into his cell phone no matter who is around you. To you I say kudos, thanks for thinking that we care about your small, insignificant life and the turmoils that occur in Tom's River.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm sad they are delaying sales of unlocked iPhones in the US until November. =/

Carrier contracts and it helps to ensure that locals especially in the US have first shot over the resellers who buy the unlocked ones to take to countries that dont have the iPhone.

It's another month, is it really that big of a deal.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Hope Apple comes up with a mute button (a la Twilight Zone) that you can point at your offending persona. Wow - haven't seen such arrogance in awhile here at AI.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

The one in the third slot on the tray is the WhatsApp app that allows free cross-platform SMS.

http://www.whatsapp.com

Thanks - that's the one I was meaning. I actually see WhatsApp underneath now. Was assuming this was the config straight out the box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I think one of them is the new Newsstand app (for magazine subscriptions.)

Not sure which of the others you're referring to.

I was referring to the two icons with phones in them, the added one sitting in the tray was the one I was confused about.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:

LOL. Hi Dick - you have a great memory. Yeah, I had more problems with the proximity sensor than with downloading issues. Hope the 4S has solved such issues. Also bought one for my son, who couldn't get reception where he lived in Emeryville (lives in Santa Clara now, with better reception).

Am looking forward to the camera. Just spent hundreds of hours doing a 30 minute iMovie on my iPad2, of my trip to Europe with family. Awesome shots, all done with my iphone4. Looking forward to 1080p movies, with a little less hand shaking from this old dude, due to stabilization. The iMovie looks like it was done by someone who actually did editing for a living - high praise from my son, who studied sound engineering and video at Expression. Didn't even have to use his Final Cut Pro on his Mac to do the work. Fun - did the work in between patients at work over a couple of months of walking the learning curve - worth the effort.

So - we are both looking forward to the 4S - now, if Apple can just update the Apple TV, so I can see 1080p stuff on my 65" screen - sweet.

Hope all is well in "Foreclosure Valley". Are you seeing the light at the end of this housing tunnel where you live? Hope so. Take care.

No relief in "Foreclosure Valley".

If you have posted it anywhere, I'd like to see your 30-minute iMove (or just PM me).

I mainly used iMovie on the Mac for the grandkids soccer games. but now we have graduated to Final Cut Pro X. My granddaughter is quite creative at: storyboarding, shooting, and editing.

I have used iMovie on the iPad and it is quite good. I suspect that we'll see Final Cut Pro X on the next iPad.

I bought a simple tripod attachment for the iPhone -- to help get rid of the shakes... works great.

Glif is a tripod mount & stand for iPhone 4 & 4S
  • Reply 52 of 60
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Besides thanking Apple for making FindMyiPhone absolutely useless if data roaming is disabled (which it has to be considering the enormous costs of data roaming)...

Don't blame Apple for that. Blame either the carriers that charge an unbelievably high price for data roaming or yourself for choosing to disable it. Apple has no choice in that game.

To get the phone's location from the phone to you, some bytes have to be sent. The telco's aren't going to let Apple send it over their voice or text lines, and they certainly aren't going to give Apple a free ride on their data paths just because it would be a "nice" thing to do.

What do you think Apple can do about that? Send the required data through the ether?

Thompson
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No relief in "Foreclosure Valley".

If you have posted it anywhere, I'd like to see your 30-minute iMove (or just PM me).

I mainly used iMovie on the Mac for the grandkids soccer games. but now we have graduated to Final Cut Pro X. My granddaughter is quite creative at: storyboarding, shooting, and editing.

I have used iMovie on the iPad and it is quite good. I suspect that we'll see Final Cut Pro X on the next iPad.

I bought a simple tripod attachment for the iPhone -- to help get rid of the shakes... works great.

Glif is a tripod mount & stand for iPhone 4 & 4S

Nah - home movies are not meant to bore others - haven't posted it anywhere. Thanks for the kind request.

Yeah, I've been predicting to my son that Final Cut X will be out on the ipad3, assuming they update to the A6 chip. Toward the end of my editing, the iMovie moved like molasses on my ipad2, so it is not ready for heavy duty editing yet - but we can count on Apple to move it there when it is ready for prime time - can't wait.

Like the iphone tripod. I'll let you know how the movie stabilization works - don't know if it works on still shots, but it was advertised that it works on videos. We'll see.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Don't blame Apple for that. Blame either the carriers that charge an unbelievably high price for data roaming or yourself for choosing to disable it. Apple has no choice in that game.

To get the phone's location from the phone to you, some bytes have to be sent. The telco's aren't going to let Apple send it over their voice or text lines, and they certainly aren't going to give Apple a free ride on their data paths just because it would be a "nice" thing to do.

What do you think Apple can do about that? Send the required data through the ether?

Thompson

Interesting you should mention that. On my trip to Europe, with my data and cell coverage turned off, I was charged by ATT for "data associated with the use of the GPS chip". I always thought that the dedicated Navigon app used GPS without using data, but apparently it uses some data. ATT was kind enough to take off the charges, when I assured them that I had turned off the cell and data coverage, and seemed to know what I was talking about. Maybe they know few will notice the charges, or know how to dispute them.

Does anyone know how ATT would have to use their data to make GPS-only apps work on the iphone? On my aviation app on the ipad2 (Foreflight), it works without using ATT data, because I do not have wifi or cell coverage while flying, and the GPS georeferenced app works just fine without it, having the maps on board the device. Don't know why Navigon should have been any different, since it is similar in design, using built-in maps, and GPS only.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    In unrelated news a German mailman was found dead with a partially eaten apple lodged in his rectum. No leads have been made.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:

Hope Apple comes up with a mute button (a la Twilight Zone) that you can point at your offending persona. Wow - haven't seen such arrogance in awhile here at AI.

He is from Tom's River and is a DJ. Give him the benefit of the doubt. I feel bad for him.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I'm so excited! Can't wait to dump my Android LTE phone. People want an LTE iPhone, but they don't realize what a battery hog the current LTE chips are. Plus I'm sick of Android rooting and crappy half baked developer ROMs. The only thing I will miss is free Nav and flash.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And that somehow makes ALL phone conversations ANYWHERE in public "repulsive"?

Are you saying that no phone conversations everywhere in private is NOT "repulsive"? I don't disagree.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisrayb View Post

In unrelated news a German mailman was found dead with a partially eaten apple lodged in his rectum. No leads have been made.

• Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ah, pah-lease!

And where did you have breakfast this morning? Tiffany's?

And I said what about "Breakfast at Tiffany's?"

She said, "I think I remember the film,

And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it."

And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got."

The 90's rocked. (Yes the actual film is much older)