Apple to hold celebration of Steve Jobs for employees Wed., Oct. 19

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has reportedly sent out an e-mail to his employees informing them of a private celebration of the life of the late Steve Jobs next Wednesday, Oct. 19.

Cook allegedly shared the date in the e-mail, which was obtained by MacGeneration on Monday. The private gathering will take place at 10 a.m. Pacific in the outdoor theater on Apple's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif.

Cook said that while the last week has been tough for himself and others, they have found comfort in both telling and listening to stories about the company's late CEO. He said that he has also been touched by the numerous tributes to Jobs that have appeared since he died last Wednesday.

"Although many of our hearts are still heavy, we are planning a celebration of his life for Apple employees to take time to remember the incredible things Steve achieved in his life and the many ways he made our world a better place," the purported e-mail from Cook reads.

Jobs was laid to rest in a small, private ceremony held on Friday. While next week's event is for employees at the company's headquarters, neither Apple nor the Jobs family plans to hold a public memorial.

However, Apple has asked that customers send their own stories, messages and condolences regarding Jobs to a special e-mail address: [email protected].

The full note reportedly sent by Cook to Apple employees is included below:

Team,

Like many of you, I have experienced the saddest days of my lifetime and shed many tears during the past week. But I've found some comfort in the extraordinary number of tributes and condolences from people all over the world who were touched by Steve and his genius. And I've found comfort in both telling and listening to stories about Steve.

Although many of our hearts are still heavy, we are planning a celebration of his life for Apple employees to take time to remember the incredible things Steve achieved in his life and the many ways he made our world a better place. The celebration will be held on Wednesday, October 19, at 10am in the outdoor amphitheater on the Infinite Loop campus. We'll have more details on AppleWeb closer to the date, including arrangements for employees outside of Cupertino.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Tim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I sent my personal story in to that email address. Not sure who is going to read it, but I'm glad to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I wonder what Steve would say in say 15 years from now about the direction Apple will have traveled... Maybe he's figuring out a way to FaceTime from the afterlife -- his new company -- Heaven Sent.

Joking aside, I still can't believe he's gone. iSad.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Steve is the greatest man in modern time. The whole world would look totally different without him.

5 October will forever be Apple day.

Some day that will be a holiday. When historian starts to understand how much Steve changed the world.

We can't grasp how different the world would have been without Steve.

No PC. No IT revolution. No mass Internet (mosaic/netscape/HTML developed on NeXT). No music revolution. Think about all innovation, cures and better living standard we have got thanks to computers. Entertainment, social networking, revolutions in countries using handheld internet devices.

Without Steve we probably would have had the IBM vision with 12 computers in the world. No GUI. No beautiful fonts. No fanatically, perfectly designed computers that "just works"

The list goes on and on.

FIrst person to combine science and art.

Raw sand into silicon art.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    try as i have, i cannot name one other ceo who was as beloved as jobs and whose passing would result in such a turnout of affection and appreciation from people from all walks of life as has jobs'. anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I never thought I could be so busted up over the loss of someone I never even met.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    checkout this AWESOME Steve Jobs Tribute Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rjRWJUEmJw
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Woz, Larry Ellison, etc. should organize a Tribute Concert for Steve Jobs.

Here's a list of artists I think Steve would appreciate.

Paul McCartney

Bob Dylan

U2

Cold Play

John Mayer

what do you guys think????
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Steve is the greatest man in modern time. The whole world would look totally different without him.

5 October will forever be Apple day.

Some day that will be a holiday. When historian starts to understand how much Steve changed the world.

We can't grasp how different the world would have been without Steve.

No PC. No IT revolution. No mass Internet (mosaic/netscape/HTML developed on NeXT). No music revolution. Think about all innovation, cures and better living standard we have got thanks to computers. Entertainment, social networking, revolutions in countries using handheld internet devices.

Without Steve we probably would have had the IBM vision with 12 computers in the world. No GUI. No beautiful fonts. No fanatically, perfectly designed computers that "just works"

The list goes on and on.

FIrst person to combine science and art.

Raw sand into silicon art.

I think someone would have gotten there mate - there are a few bright sparks still knocking about. It might have been different, but I think someone would have invented the PC.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I still get episodes of real sadness when I think that Steve Jobs is gone.