RIM's BlackBerry outages continue for second day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite reporting that it fixed problems with its Black Berry service on Monday, Research in Motion continues to face outages across Europe and other regions for a second consecutive day.

The Canadian company was receiving reports of interruptions to internet browsing, roaming and instant messaging on Monday, from customers in regions from Europe to India, reports the Wall Street Journal. RIM claimed to have resolved the issues to its network late Monday, however outages persist in certain regions.

The UK's biggest mobile operator by revenue, Everything Everywhere, has reported that customers were seeing new problems on Tuesday, but didn't say which services were affected. The report is echoed by India carrier Bharti Airtel, Ltd., saying that there have been intermittent outages to services since 6 pm on Tuesday.

Although a representative from the BlackBerry maker acknowledged that the services went down, they failed to say why it happened or when it would be fixed.

"Some users in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, India, Brazil, Chile, and Argentina are experiencing messaging and browsing delays," RIM said in its statement. "We are working to restore normal service as quickly as possible."

According to a source for the Journal, a server that handles traffic for consumers, rather than businesses, had gone down in Slough, England.

RIM's latest struggles come at a time when the company is struggling to remain relevant in the lucrative North American market to Apple and Google.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    And mobileme's been on and off for past month. Jussayin.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Apple's mail servers started having problems before noon yesterday. With a few exceptions I've been unable to send/receive mail from/to my MBP using my mobile me account and apple's Mail app since then, though I can use mail on my phone. Apple care says they use different servers.

Although apple's MobileMe "system status" page reports the prob was quickly fixed and all systems are up, I've confirmed 3x Over 30 hrs with apple tech that that's not the case.

Ironically, I was told the server that serves the "system status" page is also not working properly. I'm surprised I haven't seen this reported. I hope it's not indicative of the reliability of iCloud. The timing would be bad for that sort of misstep.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Ouchie. It's been a rough couple of years for RIM.

As for MobileMe and mail, I've found that just trying a second time to send will work, in the rare (for me) occurrence that I've had a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Ouchie. It's been a rough couple of years for RIM.

As for MobileMe and mail, I've found that just trying a second time to send will work, in the rare (for me) occurrence that I've had a problem.

I wish that had worked for me. Trust me, I tried persistence and a number of more sophisticated trouble shooting techniques (and checking the system status page) before turning to apple care each time.

UPDATE: 36 hours later, apple's MobileMe email functioning seems restored
  • Reply 5 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Oooh. Not good, RiM, not good, especially when there is a iPhone coming out this week.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    But the question is who would buy them. Look at the problems they have been having

Look at this article:

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/...berry-security
  • Reply 7 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Oooh. Not good, RiM, not good, especially when there is a iPhone coming out this week.

One of my friends claims that RIM's servers have finally figured out what the humans refuse to, that they are doomed and it's time to die.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Isn't RIM the company with two freaking CEO's?

Maybe they should add a third CEO! That might solve all of their huge problems.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They are both old and out of GAS. Releasing old and boring phones who cares. Also Google Android is going to have its problems from a development point. When you develop a app it needs to work on multiple Android Devices which is brutal on a developer
  • Reply 10 of 32
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    My Blackberry was out all day today. No emails or internet. My company's transition to the iPhone can't come quick enough. Taking out the battery and resetting the device should be inscribed on the back of each Blackberry as general maintenance. Sucks ass.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Worked wonders for Christianity.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    One of the more popular tweets I've seen on this: "Its thoughtful of BlackBerry to honour Steve Jobs by having two days of silence." ouch
  • Reply 13 of 32
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

One of the more popular tweets I've seen on this: "Its thoughtful of BlackBerry to honour Steve Jobs by having two days of silence." ouch

Brit tweet? The extra u gives a hint.

Never owned a Rim-job and the thought doesn't really jazz me. Sucks a lot to see them tank. I'd like them to recover with a fresh offering.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Fair point but three differences:

1) MobileMe is in a period of transition.

2) MobileMe is not required for access to basic online services like browsing.

3) MobileMe is not one of the core reasons for its company's brand loyalty.

This is a major blow for RIM, especially in enterprise. If I was pitching for a big contract for my firm, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be mentioning these outages.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Worked wonders for Christianity.

Ah, The Trinity. One of the most misunderstood concepts in all of theology and all of mankind. My own view is... controversial, to say the least, so I shall keep it out of this thread.

3 is a good number, 2 not so good.

Bill Gates + Balmer = Hmm

RIM1 + RIM2 = Hmm

Steve + Tim + Jon =

Steve + Tim + Scott =

RIP Steve. I'm waking up everyday and then I remember Steve's not with us anymore. The world is sadder for a while, then I realise how much better it is thanks to Steve. We might all be stuck with BlackBerrys and tiny buttons.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Fair point but three differences:

1) MobileMe is in a period of transition.

2) MobileMe is not required for access to basic online services like browsing.

3) MobileMe is not one of the core reasons for its company's brand loyalty.

This is a major blow for RIM, especially in enterprise. If I was pitching for a big contract for my firm, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be mentioning these outages.

Agreed! MobileMe is not vital to operation of the rest of the functions of the iPhone like this server is to BB's. If MobileMe mail is down, then it's just MobileMe mail that's down, you can still get mail from any other accounts. If RIM'S servers aren't working, you loose access to any mail accounts you have sync'd to your phone plus anything else that runs through it.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

It could also be Canadian.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Would that make it a Breet?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Schadenfreude party at my house!
  • Reply 20 of 32
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I'm almost feeling sorry for RIM at this point. But not quite.