Genius Bar iPhone policies tightened to make AppleCare+ more attractive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Good!

Careless people and slobs should not get their iPhones replaced for free!

I am always reading about somebody walking into an Apple store and they have an iPhone that was dropped and the glass is broken and they get a brand new one! That is complete crap and that policy should end. It is an insult to all good customers who are not careless and accident prone.

Do people who are careful and don't go around dropping and breaking their phones get anything in exchange? No, they do not and careless people should not be rewarded and get free services when careful people do not get anything.

If somebody is extremely accident prone or if somebody is simply a careless moron, then they should purchase the extra insurance from Apple. These people should pay more, it is only fair.

Absolutely agree. I have to admit, even someone in my own circle of friends have taken advantage of Apple. He purchased a 16gig iphone 3gs along with Applecare. He then bought a non functional 32gig 3gs from craigslist. He somehow managed to get Apple to replace that broken 32gig!! From what he said, the guys at the GB refused at first because their records clearly indicated he bought a 16 gig model. After some discussion, they agreed to replace it as a one time deal.

It's the ones who take advantage of things like this that ruins it for the good people. Costco has one of the best refund/exchange policies ever, and because of abuse they also had to modify it.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Are you one of the doucebags who go in demanding a new phone when it's broken due to mishandling?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdreed_fsi View Post

I tell you what would make it more attractive. Hire nicer people behind the counter.

• Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Unfortunately, neither this document, nor any of the ones I can find linked to provide an answer for the major complaint people have of Apple's iPhone service policy to date which is ...

... do they still replace a defective brand new phone with a reconditioned (used) one?

If anyone can clarify this for me I'd appreciate it. I've read all that I can find and I don't see anything that specifically states this reprehensible policy has been finally ended.

It does state in the terms and conditions that the device may be new or reconditioned. It is at Apple's discretion. That being said, don't expect the people replacing your device to know the difference, they don't. Some are new, others are reconditioned. According to Apple, both have the same finished-goods standards.

Check all the phone companies... They all offer "like new" replacements outside of the return period. Why do you expect something different?
  • Reply 24 of 63
    I never thought the policy of simply replacing the phone damaged by misuse was a good idea. First, it sends the wrong message - that the phones are not of great value. Second, it does nothing for getting customers to take responsibility for their own equipment. I've seen countless people (friends included) who treat their iPhones like crap and then demand a new one when it finally fails. Finally, I'm sick of the "disposable" attitude people have regarding their phones. Break it? Just get a new one for free. Who cares? Maybe now when you spend $500+ for your phone, you won't be so freaking careless with it.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

So when is AppleCare+ coming to the UK?

When is any kind of pro support coming to more remote parts of the world off the USA/Canada-UK axis?

Since the mid 90s, it's always been simpler, faster and more efficient to fix anything by oneself; getting 3rd party or Apple parts via online sources, disregarding warranties and support plans altogether.

Broken glass on an iPhone - order a new one and replace. Hard drive in an iMac - get a new one and replace. Something more complicated - get a similar used unit and make a working one out of 2 broken ones (wait if necessary).

Have been coding and fixing Apple gear since I upgraded my original Mac to a fat mac in the mid 80 s
  • Reply 26 of 63
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Maybe if they didn't make the phone out of glass it wouldn't break so easily.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Good!

I am always reading about somebody walking into an Apple store and they have an iPhone that was dropped and the glass is broken and they get a brand new one!

I was wondering how long this "Yes" policy at the Genius Bar was going to last. We (an authorised repairer) were always advising customers with smashed glass to head down to the Apple store and they always got a replacement no questions asked.

I assumed Apple was doing this due to the poor design of the iPhone 4 in the way that the glass on both sides isn't really protected by any substantial edging like previous models (and maybe an attempt to avoid a class action lawsuit by keeping customers happy!). I have rarely seen a 3GS or prior with a smashed screen.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Maybe they should have used transparent aluminum. Oh hell, that would just dent.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

free support excludes software described as beta, which would currently exclude iOS 5's Siri service.

I wonder if that's an oversight or if Apple intentionally labeled the service beta to avoid providing support. Normally Apple has limited distribution of beta software to developers and small numbers of the public through it's Appleseed program, and support is provided through the confidential beta channels. I can't see that Apple will withhold support for a key software component that comes with the phone and is touted as one of the big reasons to upgrade.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

And maybe if you decided to take care of your $600 possessions, they wouldn't get ruined.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Maybe they should have used transparent aluminum. Oh hell, that would just dent.

But you wouldn't be able to see the dents, so it wouldn't matter as much.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    $99 up-front then $49 to replace your phone is still a lot more attractive than the $649-$849 retail cost of your phone.

Looking back... I wonder how much money Apple lost by giving out replacement phones over the years.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And maybe if you decided to take care of your $600 possessions, they wouldn't get ruined.

It's my humble opinion that people buy the $199 phone not realizing that'll it cost >$600 to replace. The other possibility could be they bought something they can't afford to replace if lost, stolen or broken.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Looking back... I wonder how much money Apple lost by giving out replacement phones over the years.

Or, you could say: "I wonder how many new lifetime customers Apple gained with their liberal repair policy." Just about everybody I know who had a dealing with The Genius Bar for their iPhone came away singing the praises of Apple to all who would listen!
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Or, you could say: "I wonder how many new lifetime customers Apple gained with their liberal repair policy." Just about everybody I know who had a dealing with The Genius Bar for their iPhone came away singing the praises of Apple to all who would listen!

That's a great point and one I hadn't considered. Selectively applying replace to further build customer loyalty. I've broken my stuff and each time told the GB gang what I did to break it. I don't mind paying of my mistakes and accidents.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    I wonder if this covers any damage resulting from dirt trapped under Apple's own bumpers. Currently apple claims no responsibility from any damage inflicted on an iPhone 4 by the ineffectiveness of the bumpers to the antennas protection.

Then again we won't need bumpers now that the antennae "problem" has been fixed.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Under the terms of the new plan, users who experience factory defects or problems, like a premature battery failure or problem with their headphones, are covered for free for two years

It's not free. It's $99.

Quote:

The company notes "you will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar service fee for each ADH claim, and may be asked to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred," adding that "Failure to pay the service fee or provide information relating to the accident when asked will result in claim denial."

"I dropped it in the toilet."

Dunno how many times I have heard of someone doing this...
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I wonder if this covers any damage resulting from dirt trapped under Apple's own bumpers. Currently apple claims no responsibility from any damage inflicted on an iPhone 4 by the ineffectiveness of the bumpers to the antennas protection.

Then again we won't need bumpers now that the antennae "problem" has been fixed.

Dude, seriously. Apple didn't put the dirt there. Clean your gear!!!
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post

It does state in the terms and conditions that the device may be new or reconditioned. It is at Apple's discretion. That being said, don't expect the people replacing your device to know the difference, they don't. Some are new, others are reconditioned. According to Apple, both have the same finished-goods standards.

Check all the phone companies... They all offer "like new" replacements outside of the return period. Why do you expect something different?

Apple isn't alone with this policy, if you read the terms & conditions of just about any electronic item you buy,it states the same policy. I've had experience with Sony and Panasonic sending referb units.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    So it begins. Jobs dies, and within months, Apple reverts to a company run by MBAs and retards.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

So it begins. Jobs dies, and within months, Apple reverts to a company run by MBAs and retards.

Ignoring your personal insults, don't you think customers have been wanting coverage for accidental damage? I do. This is going to make a lot of people very happy.