Apple's free iMessage expected to undermine carriers' high-profit SMS business

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

WTH is with that. Jobs said that it's coming "next year" back in 2010 when he demoed the feature.

And I think there has been plenty of time to prepare FaceTime for the standards bodies.

Facetime, Ping, Maps - a short list of product/features that Apple has *neglected* in order to focus on their core products. You can add iPods to that list from time to time.

Time will tell if these products/features will be forgotten, or reborn.
  • Reply 122 of 138
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vendrazi View Post

Apple makes their money from selling hardware.

I actually disagree with that. Samsung, Motorola and HTC sell hardware. Apple sells systems (integrated systems, ecosystems, however/whatever you choose to call it). An iPhone is a system. That's why "it just works". In fact, you don't have to engage with the carrier if you choose not to (and if you're lucky).

If you buy an Android phone, you need to be a bit of an integrator yourself. You need to keep up to date with Google, Samsung, AT&T (or alternate) ...

Case in point - I have to spend more time managing a single Android phone than I do with all my iDevices - 4 iPhones (2 for me and 1 ea for my kids), 1 iPod Touch and 1 iPad2. Part of that time is spent on learning what's the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 123 of 138
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sure it is.

1. Turn off SMS

2. Just like BBM, ask them if they use iMessage, and if yes instead if entering a PIN in your contact for them, you set the thing in contacts that indicates iMessage.

It's really no different.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised so many are trying to shit on this - apparently the pundits panning the 4S as a failure and then getting totally embarrassed by the 4S pre orders didn't resonate.

Look, if FaceTime with it's requirements can be as widely used as it I'd, iMessage is going to be a resounding success!

Turn off SMS and be unable to text anyone who doesn't have an iPhone with iOS5? You obviously don't get why BBM is so successful.

FaceTime needs Wifi and I use it a lot, iMessage doesn't but it also takes away certainly about cost.

Right now I'll stick with WhatsApp to be sure of what I'm paying. SMS via iMessage and get the bonus if the recipient has iOS5 and is in a data zone.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I am already ending friendships over this... I do not plan to text anyone that does not have iOS 5!

• Reply 125 of 138
    iMessage is automatic- if the other person does not have it, the message is sent as a regular SMS text.
  • Reply 126 of 138
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

iMessage is automatic- if the other person does not have it, the message is sent as a regular SMS text.

That's what I got from the iOS presentation shown at WWDC. I recall the presenter saying one way you can tell is by the color of the text bubble.
  • Reply 127 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's what I got from the iOS presentation shown at WWDC. I recall the presenter saying one way you can tell is by the color of the text bubble.

Oh yeah- I installed it on my phone and my wife's already- that's exactly how it works- completely automatic.
  • Reply 128 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

She's saying if you don't have a texting plan that would be your per\\text price compared to the data being sent. Some people don't have text plans and are willing to pay the $0.20 each.

I think she's more saying that companies charge ridiculous amounts of money for a texting plan that costs them literally fractions of pennies per text, in comparison to a data plan, which offers a lot more data for the same price as a text plan.
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sarcasmo48 View Post

?fractions of pennies per text?

Not even. It's $0.00, repeating.

Texts are sent along a band that is kept open at all times (for receiving calls). It costs literally nothing to move them.

If anything, you're only paying the telecoms to KEEP RECORDS OF YOUR TEXTS' CONTENTS for six years.
  • Reply 130 of 138
    All this talk. All these discussions in this one thread.

30+ years of innovation from Apple. The Mac LC, the Lisa, the Newton, the Moto Rokr, and those other things.

Billions in profits. Cash reserves to last years. One of the most valuable companies in the world.

And still no goddamn timestamp on SMS messages.
  • Reply 131 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

People used to buy BB's just to get BBM because their friends and associates were using BBM. Apple doesn't need iMessage to sell more iPhones but it certainly won't hurt. As more people buy iOS devices, the more useful this becomes, the more people will buy iOS devices to stay connected, just as RIM benefited from BBM. But, RIM was dependent on BBM as a key selling point, where for Apple it is not nearly as important, yet.

Apple doesn't need iMessage to become a roaring success. iMessage simply becomes a nice extra for iOS users. And for a lot of iOS users, many/most of the people they text are also iOS users. I'd estimate that for me, 80% of the people I text use iPhones. Those on BB or Android, I can just use another IM app or email. trying to avoid carrier texting is very common. This just makes it a little easier for some.

Almost every BB users I know use WhatsApp now because it's cross-platform. So as more and more people become less reliant on BBM, then the appeal of using a BB becomes less and less. Plus I'm predicting that iMessage will be hugely popular. The future of BB looks grim.
  • Reply 132 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sarcasmo48 View Post

And still no goddamn timestamp on SMS messages.

Oh, that's an easy fix. Just hover over each message and you'll see the timestamp. Easy!

• Reply 133 of 138
    shredshred Posts: 10member
    Originally Posted by Cash907

"I just did the same thing. We were at 2100 minutes, but with unlimited nights and weekends, the A List, free AT&T mobile to mobile (now All mobile to mobile) we were hardly putting a dent in that limit. I figure even if we do go over during the holidays, the surplus of 13,000 rollover minutes we've racked up should keep us out of overage territory. Heck, in the last billing cycle, the total talk time for all 5 lines was something like 350 minutes, which just a few years ago wouldn't have been enough for even my wife's line. Text usage, on the other hand... yeah I don't even look at that anymore. Even though it's unlimited, it still blows me away just how many texts we rack up in a 30 day period. "

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtkane View Post

Unless it's changed in the past few months, bear in mind that when you switch to a new plan, you lose all of your accumulated rollover minutes except for an amount equal to your new plan. So if you went from 13,000 rollover minutes on a 2100 minute plan to a 700 minute plan, you'll only have 700 rollover minutes.

I lost something like 9,000 rollover minutes, but the free mobile to any mobile saves me so many minutes, I've quickly built back up to a ton of rollover minutes.

The only problem is you have to have 1400minutes on the family plan to retain A-list (which is not offered to new customers). So if you call up to 10 landlines a lot you might want to keep A-list and the 1400 minute plan. If you do not cal landlines with a lot of your minutes then drop down to the 700 plan.
  • Reply 134 of 138
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Haven't paid for text messaging in years. Textplus is free and all I need.

And you can use it on a iPod Touch as well.
  • Reply 135 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

It's not on every platform and is not free either.

I thought it was $1.99 on the App Store? At least when I got it for my wife's iPhone.

eventually for Blackberry I will have to pay $2.99?? per year to use WhatsApp.
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Really? When did they announce FaceTime over 3G? I certainly don't remember seeing it in the video of the launch nor is it anywhere on Apple's site.

And the underlying bandwidth issues haven't changed with the 4S so there is no reason for them to to change it.

Would be interesting if true, but I don't expect it and would have thought it would be more prominently talked about.

I think he meant after iOS5 is jailbroken (or is it jailbreaked?). With JB, you can Facetime over 3G.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I think he meant after iOS5 is jailbroken (or is it jailbreaked?). With JB, you can Facetime over 3G.

No, I means with iOS 5 proper, but after looking back, I see that hasn't actually been announced, so never mind.
  • Reply 138 of 138
    Does anyone have the same issue with Whatsapp in iOS5 -> it shows all my contacts twice.