Apple rumored to counter Amazon Kindle Fire with 'iPad mini' in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Spurred by the recently announced Amazon Kindle Fire and its $199 price, Apple is rumored to be exploring a new low-cost iPad for release in the first few months of 2012.

Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities has been touring China and Taiwan and meeting with component suppliers, where he has heard rumblings of a so-called "iPad mini" arriving next year. The "mini" name doesn't necessarily refer to the size of the device, he said, but a lower entry-level price.

He said such a device is expected to arrive in the first few months of 2012, allowing Apple to tap into a "more price sensitive consumer segment," and also fend off the Amazon Kindle Fire, the retailer's first entrance into the touchscreen tablet market.

"We believe this lower priced iPad could be priced in the mid-to-high-$200 range," White wrote in a note to investors. "We expect this will be followed by a much more powerful, feature rich standard-priced iPad 3 in (the second quarter of 2012)."

If Apple were to address a lower cost market in 2012, it would come around the same time that Amazon is expected to introduce a more powerful touchscreen tablet with a larger form factor. The forthcoming Amazon Kindle Fire sports a screen size of 7 inches, compared with the 9.7-inch display of the iPad.

In October of 2010, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs slammed rivals who were building 7-inch tablets, saying the screen size was too small for users. He said that manufacturers of those devices would need to ship sandpaper with their 7-inch tablets so users could file down their fingers to the point where they could hit smaller targets on the screen.

Still, rumors that Apple plans to release a new device with a screen size between an iPad and an iPod touch have cropped up on occasion. But White said Apple's goal in addressing the lower end market may be to build a cheaper device, rather than a smaller one.

He said a low-cost iPad could result in big sales in China and other developing parts of the world. he also believes there is a major market opportunity in developed areas like the U.S. and Europe.

Leading up to last week's iPhone 4S announcement, many analysts, including White, expected that Apple would build a new, low-cost iPhone model that could be sold contract-free, allowing Apple to tap into a huge prepaid smartphone market worldwide. Instead, Apple decided to keep the iPhone 3GS in its lineup, offering the GSM phone for free with a two-year contract, or for $375 unlocked.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    They won't do this.
  • Reply 2 of 133
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I can't say we haven't been here before.
  • Reply 3 of 133
    This will not happen.
  • Reply 4 of 133
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Obviously garbage.

They might continue selling the iPad 2 at around the $350-$400 price point once the iPad 3 is released.
  • Reply 5 of 133
    Well, we've got at least another 3 months before the next roll out... so let the bs rumours begin. These pages have to be filled with something...
  • Reply 6 of 133
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    iPad mini = iPod Touch.
  • Reply 7 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Spurred by the recently announced Amazon Kindle Fire and its $199 price, Apple is rumored to be exploring a new low-cost iPad for release in the first few months of 2012.

Do these analysts stop and think about what they are saying before they say it. Apple has rarely been a responder to competitors in this way. If they are placing a cheaper device it is something they've been working on for some time and not in a knee-jerk reaction to the Kindle Fire.

I still don't expect a Fire like device. The iPad is dominant with its current form factor and features. Steady upgrades should do it well.
  • Reply 8 of 133
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Haha... Not this time, rumor mill.
  • Reply 9 of 133
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm not even going to give this ridiculous rumor the satisfaction of a reply. Oh damn!
  • Reply 10 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Obviously garbage.

They might continue selling the iPad 2 at around the $350-$400 price point once the iPad 3 is released.

Word!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

iPad mini = iPod Touch.

Although the original post says "mini doesn't necessarily mean size but the price", but yes, I agree with you. Those who want a cheaper iPad, there always has been an iPod touch for you.
  • Reply 11 of 133
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

iPad mini = iPod Touch.

Spot on.

May get iPod Touch with a larger screen next year to combat the Fire, PSP, etc. Hope so.
  • Reply 12 of 133
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Haha. Thats the first thing that came to my mind when I read the headline.

Quote:

iPad mini = iPod Touch.

• Reply 13 of 133
    Not gonna happen!
  • Reply 14 of 133
    You're right! Me neither!

Nuts!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm not even going to give this ridiculous rumor the satisfaction of a reply. Oh damn!

• Reply 15 of 133
    rigorigo Posts: 4member
    iPhone mini ? iPad mini absolutely rubbish why won't hey just make the price of the iPod touch lower since from $229 it went to $199 but what about the other models:|
  • Reply 16 of 133
    Apple's solution to this would seem elementary.

Like with the iPhone line, when the iPad3 is released next year, continue to offer the iPad2 at a reduced price. A 16GB iPad2 priced at $350 [$150 off the current MSRP] would certainly expose Apple to a broader market. Why would Apple put it's energy into developing an entirely new low cost version of the iPad?

Apple will never try to compete directly with the Kindle Fire on price. Amazon and Apple's revenue model is COMPLETELY different. Amazon sells the Fire at a break-even or loss price because they're goal is to drive people to Amazon content. Apple is primarily interested in selling the hardware, and iTunes, iBooks, and the AppStore are in support of that.

The fact that these analysts can't grasp this basic concept boggles my mind.
  • Reply 17 of 133
    This news just reminds me of Mac World 1998

http://youtu.be/LWuR88AIKLg?t=6m12s

Just watch it

Quote from the movie "we only need 4 great products with 4 A-teams working on each one of them!"

• Reply 18 of 133
    Dirty, rotten black lies! I seriously doubt Tim Cook would just say screw you Steve WE believe their is a market out there for smaller tablets. Thats just my take on it. Maybe a price reduction but even then I don't really see it unless the Fire really burns Apple in sales.

Then again I'd welcome a price cut or a lower cost iPad...either way WE win.
  • Reply 19 of 133
    Well, I guess now that the iPhone 4S has been revealed and is out, we must kickstart a whole new round of entirely madeup rumors about the next most likely product update from Apple.

If I may try my hand at it:

Quote:

Apple is going to launch an iPad Art Pro, with a 15" display and a stylus option hardware switch that will turn off touch and fall back in pure stylus mode.

This device is rumored to be targeted to professional artists and will come packed with a new addition to the Apple's iWork suite: iArt, a Photoshop competitor. The switch to stylus will make it ideal for artists, the bigger canvas will be ideal for artistic expression and the ability to turn off touch will allow them to not wory about wearing gloves or risking their palms generating unwanted touch input.

To aliviate weight issues, the new larger iPad Art Pro will have an new patented unscratchable plastic screen instead of glass.

Now THATS a rumor!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 133
    Unless Apple is going to loose profits, I don't see them going any lower than $399 on the iPad 2 next year when the iPad 3 comes out. Apple is not know for competing on price, but on value. However, fact of the matter is that for a good chunk of what most users do on an iPad (watch movies and tv shows, read books, surf the web, check e-mail), you don't need a powerful CPU or a 10" IPS display to do it, but a solid OS with good UI and a well-stocked content store, both of which the Kindle Fire has.