Apple releases Find My Friends, AirPort Utility for iOS 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Continuing to debut iCloud-powered software and new features for iOS 5, Apple on Wednesday released Find My Friends and AirPort Utility on the App Store.

Find My Friends is a free download designed for iOS devices, and weighs in at 10.4MB. It requires iOS 5 and an iCloud account, which can be created free on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

"Find My Friends allows you to easily locate your friends and family from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch," the official description reads. "Install this free app on your iOS 5 device and sign in with the Apple ID you use with iCloud.

"Adding a friend is easy -- just send a request to see their location. Once your friend accepts using the Find My Friends app, you will then be able to see that friend's location on a list or on a map."

Users can choose to share their location for a limited period of time with a group of friends. Apple said the software can be used to keep track of traveling companions when on vacation, or to see if your children are home from school, or to find friends you're meeting for dinner.

Features of the application, as listed by Apple, include:

Easily locate friends and family

Temporary sharing option

Simple privacy controls

Parental restrictions

Free for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

Also now available is AirPort Utility, also for iOS 5 devices. The application allows users to manage their Wi-Fi network and AirPort base stations. The free download is 4.5MB.

AirPort Utility lets users make changes to an AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule directly from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

"See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network and devices," the description reads. "Change base station and network settings, or manage advanced features such as security modes, wireless channels and more."

With AirPort Utility, users can:

See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network

Get information about your connected Wi-Fi devices

view and change network and Wi-Fi settings

restart or restore a base station, or update the firmware on a base station when available

View or update passwords for your network, base stations or disks

Easily access network information such as IP address, DNS servers, and router addresses

Manage DHCP reservations and port mappings

View status or error messages for your base stations

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Gotta have the new design of AirPort stations to use it, though.

The (white, at least. I would imagine the grey one, too, as it's even older) saucer style isn't compatible.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Airport Utility. Great for when you're in a hotel with an iPad and forgot to change the profile of your Airport Express.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Another addition for the 'post-PC' area. No more PC needed to setup your home WLAN.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    I don't see it on the UK App store as yet...
  • Reply 5 of 45
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    I didn't find it on the US store either, but clicking the link provided in the article aloud me to download it in iTunes and it automatically showed up on my iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kwaycee View Post

I don't see it on the UK App store as yet...

• Reply 6 of 45
    AirPort Utility for iOS?! Sweet!!! Come on 10am PST, can't wait for iOS 5. Sadly it'll just have to go on the iPad initially as I depend on a jailbreak for my iPhone (and I don't want a tethered one).
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Finally!!! After so many requests on the discussion and Apples site. It is finally here. An Airport utility for iOS. Just makes sense.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

?I depend on a jailbreak?

This should be good?

Why?
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This should be good…

Why?

SBSettings, Google Voice integration, iFile, biteSMS, Mail Enhancer, MyWi and My3G are just a few reasons.

There's nothing wrong with jailbreaking and it's perfectly legal plus with the likes of My3G and Mail Enhancer, it gives me functionality that I find I can't do without.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Oh great, now parents can track their kid's location by GPS... kids are going to LOVE that lol.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    all nice but where is iOS 5? Give us that first and then some new apps!
  • Reply 12 of 45
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Oh great, now parents can track their kid's location by GPS... kids are going to LOVE that lol.

Meh, put it like this "Oh, you want an iPhone. Sure, but you have to turn on this tracking thing". Most kids would allow it.

And AT&T has had something similar, but cost money, for a while now. A lady at work has it on her kids phones, and they don't know it. I think that is creepy, but they are her kids and not mine.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    I wonder why Apple is going with this "Leather" look? Contacts, iCal, Find My Friends. It's retro and un-Apple-like. Hope we will be able to change it, at least change the color.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

I wonder why Apple is going with this "Leather" look? Contacts, iCal, Find My Friends. It's retro and un-Apple-like. Hope we will be able to change it, at least change the color.

Change an Apple interface! That's a good one!

Ha! "Change the color." Classic!

Quote:

Implying they have any say? Yes, parents should respect the ideas and wishes of their children, but it's their prerogative to make sure their kids are safe. A kid that respects his parents would understand that. And a parent that respects his kids would obviously stop when the kid hits legal age, if the kid wants them to.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Been doing that since find my phone, your kids have their own accounts? They want to use my minutes, my texting, and my data plus my account for buying songs they better believe i will know where they are!

And it helps them too. You think they don't use it to see where you are when they want to be picked up?

Maybe you just need to raise your kids right.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

It's fugly... reminds me of Game Center, which I haven't used since the first day it came out.. probably because the theme is so ugly.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Thread in Apple Support Communities about

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

How do you turn off the leather look in iCal and Address Book?
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Anybody here old enough to remember ResEdit?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

How do you turn off the leather look in iCal and Address Book?

Doesn't really help (or have anything to do with) iOS and web-based interfaces, does it?
  • Reply 20 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    UGHHH..... Faux Leather!

I hope Apple will transition quickly through this unbelievably ugly and corny design concept.