Verizon iPhone 4S gets delivered early in US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At least one customer has received their iPhone 4S in the mail, ordered from Verizon, a full two days before it is set to go on sale.

AppleInsider reader Casey Calouette sent along photos of his brand new iPhone 4S, received in the mail on Wednesday. It's yet another early delivery ahead of Friday's official launch of the iPhone 4S.

Earlier this week, some iPhone 4S units were delivered to customers in Germany, who also showed off pictures of the box and the new Siri voice recognition technology exclusive to Apple's next-generation handset.

Many customers who ordered their iPhone 4S when preorders began last Friday have been notified that their handset is in the mail, though packages are likely to be held until Friday's launch. Calouette said he ordered his iPhone 4S from Verizon on Oct. 7, and it arrived this morning via FedEx around 10 a.m. Eastern.

Even before it's officially available, the iPhone 4S has proved to be a hot item, as Apple announced on Monday that a record 1 million preorders were sold on the first day of availability. That easily topped the previous single-day preorder record of 600,000 set by the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Reviewers have also responded positively to the upgraded device, which sports the faster A5 processor and a new, higher resolution 8-megapixel camera. But the main selling point is Siri, which allows users to control their iPhone and accomplish complex tasks like making calendar entries and composing messages by simply speaking.

The iPhone 4S officially launches this Friday in the U.S., Canada, Australia, the U.K., France, Germany and Japan. Availability will expand to 22 more countries by the end of October: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    should have gotten the white one
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

should have gotten the white one

White is ugly, especially on the iPad. When I bought my iPad2 they only had white and black 64GB 3G left so I bought the black one. Looked better to me.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    I haven't gotten any kind of shipping notification, and mine was ordered minutes after the site went up. Bummer.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordLacey View Post

I haven't gotten any kind of shipping notification, and mine was ordered minutes after the site went up. Bummer.

Check your order status on the Apple site? unless you ordered it directly from your carrier
  • Reply 5 of 66
    I received the Shipping Notification today from Verizon through UPS. UPS website says label has been created but that the shipment has not been made yet. The label is for Next Day Air so assuming that it goes out today, I should get my iPhone 4S tomorrow.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    I ordered mine from Apple at 5am last Friday,

here's the tracking as of 11:30am Wed. 10/12,

I got my "Shipment Notification" this Wed. morning 6am from Apple.

Louisville, KY, United States 10/12/2011 9:28 A.M. Arrival Scan

Anchorage, AK, United States 10/11/2011 2:18 P.M. Arrival Scan

Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 10/11/2011 9:22 P.M. Departure Scan

10/11/2011 5:35 P.M. Arrival Scan

Shenzhen, China 10/11/2011 3:45 P.M. Departure Scan

10/11/2011 4:16 A.M. Origin Scan

China 10/11/2011 1:36 A.M. Order Processed

Estimated to get to me Friday, "By End of Day".

I'd say people who ordered and didn't get some kind of email notification should contact who they ordered the iPhone from and check on the order.........
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Quote:

If you go to http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html and click "Track by Reference," and then use the phone number you used to register at Apple.com, it will pull up your tracking info. My Apple account still says "Preparing Shipment", but UPS says it has left China. Hope this helps!
  • Reply 8 of 66
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by propel View Post

White is ugly, especially on the iPad. When I bought my iPad2 they only had white and black 64GB 3G left so I bought the black one. Looked better to me.

I like the White iPads and iPhones more. They look better to me.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:

I pre-ordered a 4S for my wife Friday early afternoon (PST). Admittedly, I'm kind of surprised they hadn't officially sold out for first-day delivery yet.

Apple has been showing it as "Preparing for Shipment" for several days, but still says it will deliver on the 14th. Not feeling too confident about it... (Fingers crossed)
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

I ordered mine from Apple at 5am last Friday,

here's the tracking as of 11:30am Wed. 10/12,

I got my "Shipment Notification" this Wed. morning 6am from Apple.

Louisville, KY, United States 10/12/2011 9:28 A.M. Arrival Scan

Anchorage, AK, United States 10/11/2011 2:18 P.M. Arrival Scan

Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 10/11/2011 9:22 P.M. Departure Scan

10/11/2011 5:35 P.M. Arrival Scan

Shenzhen, China 10/11/2011 3:45 P.M. Departure Scan

10/11/2011 4:16 A.M. Origin Scan

China 10/11/2011 1:36 A.M. Order Processed

Estimated to get to me Friday, "By End of Day".

I'd say people who ordered and didn't get some kind of email notification should contact who they ordered the iPhone from and check on the order.........

I am 7am ordered... but no notification.

What carrier and mem size are you?

One thing i was thinking about, is Apple had to guestimate device amounts per configuration for initial builds. Never having a 64gb what if they guessed lower demand but more people opt... could people in certain configs end up left out in the cold on Friday?!

I;m just being mr negative. hah
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

One thing i was thinking about, is Apple had to guestimate device amounts per configuration for initial builds. Never having a 64gb what if they guessed lower demand but more people opt... could people in certain configs end up left out in the cold on Friday?!

HAHA!!

When i looked up by phone... I was using my cell number!

The reference lookup posted by someone else worked with my home number!!!

Scheduled Delivery:

Friday, 10/14/2011, By End of Day

Last Location:

Arrived - Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong, Wednesday, 10/12/2011

Additional Information

Product:

WORLD EASE

Shipped/Billed On:

10/12/2011

Type:

Package

Weight:

0.40 kg

Shipment Progress

•\tWhat's This?

Location\tDate\tLocal Time\tActivity

Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong \t10/12/2011 \t5:30 P.M. \tArrival Scan

Shenzhen, China \t10/12/2011 \t4:05 P.M. \tDeparture Scan

\t10/12/2011 \t7:50 A.M. \tOrigin Scan

China \t10/12/2011 \t12:42 A.M. \tOrder Processed: Ready for UPS
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

I'm sure they didn't produce too few of any of them, because they know that no matter what they make, all of them will sell. No harm in creating slightly more than they need - they have a year to sell them.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by propel View Post

White is ugly, especially on the iPad.

Subjective opinion is subjective
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Some people are lucky. I ordered mine from Apple, in the night of the 7 October at 03:45 EST (Montreal) (the pre-order started at 3:00 EST + delays). Don't think that I'll be getting it on the 14 October. Apple still shows my order as "Processing".
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Subjective opinion is subjective

Very true, to each his own I say. It would be cool to see what the sales figures are for comparison.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

If you go to http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html and click "Track by Reference," and then use the phone number you used to register at Apple.com, it will pull up your tracking info. My Apple account still says "Preparing Shipment", but UPS says it has left China. Hope this helps!

Mad props for this! I got the tracking for my wifes phone, it is in Lexington. Mine still says preparing to ship, but the tracking through UPS shows mine has arrived in Chek Lap Kok. AWESOME! I was starting to think I wouldn't get it on time.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1963983]At least one customer has received their iPhone 4S in the mail, ordered from Verizon, a full two days before it is set to go on sale.

Hey Casey, is there a way to pop that phone open and find out if the camera manufacturer is Sony or Omnivision? If it's OVTI, the stock will pop .....
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

Thanks for this. I was starting to get worried since my order page on Apple's site still says preparing for shipment. Just checked the UPS link and its showing delivery by end of the day on Friday. Guess I'll just have to be patient
  • Reply 19 of 66
    My iPhone is with AT&T, and it has been sitting in Louisville KY since yesterday at 9:30am. It's now less than 300 miles away.

What's amazing to me is that my phone went from China to Hong Kong to Anchorage AK, and it left Anchorage on its way to Louisville all in the same day(10/10).
  • Reply 20 of 66
    @iamme73: Thanks for the update from AT&T...I'm waiting for my Black 64GB.