In-depth Review: iOS 5

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    1am in HK...still no iOS5...
  • Reply 62 of 76
    1:11 PM here in NYC & still no iOS 5 -- and yes, I have the new iTunes 10.5.

What's going on?!?
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

What's going on?!?

It's up at least it's downloading on my ipad now
  • Reply 64 of 76
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

What's going on?!?

Just started the download here in the UK at 18.06.....

18.52 - almost there - it's like the countdown at the end of a Bond film - it takes ages for the last few seconds to pass!
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Finally! Downloading now. 12:15 CST. Lazy asses.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    My strategy of downloading and updating at work has failed, since my work Mac isn't the one I usually synch with. Does anyone know of a way I can get around that?
  • Reply 67 of 76
    And of course, the moment I yell & scream about it, is the exact moment it becomes available ....

Yeccchhhh.

Downloading now ....
  • Reply 68 of 76
    I hope, that'll give me enough time to squeeze in IP Man.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    I *do* have a question about the quick-access camera: is this assignable, or exclusively the province of Apple's Camera app? It won't keep me from the upgrade, but I'm just wondering as I wait for it to download....
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

I *do* have a question about the quick-access camera: is this assignable, or exclusively the province of Apple's Camera app? It won't keep me from the upgrade, but I'm just wondering as I wait for it to download....

Only the camera app. Could probably jailbreak it to change it to something else.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Which "GM" are you saying differed from the public release?

I'm not sure about iOS GM releases, but I know I've had it happen with one or two Mac OS X GM preview releases in the past. Though I'd have to check to see if they were indeed labelled as "GM" by Apple or were just release candidates that other people had labelled as GM. Regardless, they came out very shortly before the official releases and were one or two builds lower.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post

Only the camera app. Could probably jailbreak it to change it to something else.

\ Too bad...I have a bunch of camera apps. Still, I have a folder full of 'em as one of my 'constant 4', so not as bad as all that
  • Reply 73 of 76
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    I'd like to point out that the Photo Albums you can now create directly in iOS are not the same as Photo Albums you've synced from iPhoto (for example) or the Camera Roll. Photos are not actually placed into the albums you've created, instead they are merely a link to the photo's original location, so you can't actually "move" a photo into one of your albums. If you remove the original photo, the one in your album is gone too.

This is a big limitation I hope Apple addresses.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    With iPhone finally on Sprint -- I am amazed Apple STILL has not answered with Nextel-style Push-To-Talk/Direct Connect functionality -- this is one of my top feature requests...
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it has no real downsides

Bull.

Did you guys even test the music player app on the iPad? Lyrics display is totally broken, and the rest of the app is just awful, features are buried or totally missing, and the views are mostly crappy album art graphics with no option for simple text lists. Huge fail on apple's part, I can't believe you guys didn't even mention it. For anyone who listens to a lot of music I'd say it's bad enough that I'd recommend waiting for a .1 update to fix it before updating.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Just an FYI. . .

iOS5 is bringing some substantial challenges to developers too.

http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning