Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 61 of 256
    Download timeline: (Windows 7Pro, 64bit system).

Started download at 1:08PM EST and timed out at 1:37PM. Connection lost. Reconnection and starting over from scratch...arg.

UPDATE: Download complete at 1:46PM. Let the Updating begin.

1. 1:46PM - Backing up of my iPhone started automatically.

2. 1:50PM - Backup complete. "iTunes is restoring the software on this iPhone"

3. 1:58PM - iPhone restarting.

4. 1:59PM - Message: "This computer has previously been synced with an iPad or another IOS Device." "Restoring iPhone from backup". "Time remaining about 3 minutes". hmm? This is odd.

5. 2:06PM - iPhone restarting again.

6. 2:07PM - "Restoring iPhone Apps".

7. 2:17PM - "Restoring iPhone Apps" continues. iTunes doesn't respond to mouse clicks and iPhone screen blank...puzzling!

8. 2:32PM - iTunes begins complete resync of iPhone and begins resyncing/adding back music, apps, photos, etc.

9. 2:35PM - SUCCESS.

* Total Time: 1 Hour once download complete. IOS 5.0 installed and device released to my control.

** Two new core apps: Newstand and Reminders.

*** iPod App now called "Music".
  • Reply 62 of 256
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

VZW update is 782Mb. So it's a slow process. Recommend choosing Download only and going about your business. Install later. Much later.

Curious. My VZW update was 820 MB (IP4).
  • Reply 63 of 256
    Oh, forgot about that. Now it's downloading the update to restore. Thanks.
  • Reply 64 of 256
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEAMSWITCHER View Post

Oh, forgot about that. Now it's downloading the update to restore. Thanks.

you might also want to un-register your device at the iOS portal.
  • Reply 65 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dp118 View Post

Download timeline: (Windows 7Pro, 64bit system).

Started download at 1:08PM EST and timed out at 1:37PM. Connection lost.

UPDATE: Timed Out and lost connection at 1:37PM. Reconnection and starting over from scratch...arg.

UPDATE: Download complete at 1:46PM. Let the Updating begin.

1. 1:46PM - Backing up of my iPhone started automatically.

2. 1:50PM - Backup complete. "iTunes is restoring the software on this iPhone"

3. 1:58PM - iPhone restarting.

4. 1:59PM - Message: "This computer has previously been synced with an iPad or another IOS Device." "Restoring iPhone from backup". "Time remaining about 3 minutes". hmm? This is odd.

5. 2:06PM - iPhone restarting again.

6. 2:07PM - "Restoring iPhone Apps".

7. 2:17PM - "Restoring iPhone Apps" continues. iTunes doesn't respond to mouse clicks and iPhone screen blank...puzzling!

8. 2:32PM - iTunes begins complete resync of IPhone and begins resyncing/adding music, apps, photos, etc.

Thanks for the list! I'm at step 7, it sure is puzzling!
  • Reply 66 of 256
    I couldn't update the software, it says internal error occurred. I would like to know, is there any solution??
  • Reply 67 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Even those who live in Montreal, Que

Por Que?
  • Reply 68 of 256
    control over who, when and what texts you can receive...

I'm tired of spamming texts...
  • Reply 69 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Curious. My VZW update was 820 MB (IP4).

Yes, that's odd. Must have something to do with what's on the phone in terms of data, storage size, apps, IOS version, and/or VZW network stuff.
  • Reply 70 of 256
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Updating to iOS 5 on my iPhone 3GS was fairly quick. Despite that my iPhone 4S' arrive in two days, I might as well play with the new iOS early.

Now Apple, can we PLEASE get Maps overhauled for iOS 6?! A simple checkbox to disable routing through toll roads would be nice.
  • Reply 71 of 256
    mine is in "restore mode" interesting.. Must be backing up to icloud???

now says restoring iphone firmware

this is obviously a HUGE update. A challenge for Apple for sure.

next -- says your iphone is being restored to factory settings....

now -- restore in progress, restoring iphone from backup

backup finished, now says it's restoring Apps.

then it restored music, videos...

next go to the iphone. you'll now see icloud!! I had to purchase more memory.

this is gonna cause sheer panic in people not willing to be patient. This process must mean it's syncing and backing up to and from icloud now. Def. gonna be painful for people who freak and not wait it out. lets see what happens!!
  • Reply 72 of 256
    Only bummer about Newsstand app being a folder, is that you can?t put it in a folder - so it will have to reside on one of my home screens.
  • Reply 73 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karthikin View Post

I couldn't update the software, it says internal error occurred. I would like to know, is there any solution??

Yes, I keep getting the same thing. My iTunes (10.5) downloaded the iOS 5 update, then it did a backup of my iPhone 4 (4.3.5 AT&T) which took a REALLY LONG TIME, then failed with error code 3200.

THREE TIMES!!!

This is running on a Win7-64 box.
  • Reply 74 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karthikin View Post

I got that too with my 3GS phone, well pissed off now!!!
  • Reply 75 of 256
    iPad got a 3200 error..my bad day begins.
  • Reply 76 of 256
    OK.. I have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads to update but I believe every time I plug in a device it wants to D/L the software again. Is there a way to have iTunes use the same D/L file?
  • Reply 77 of 256
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Anyone have a successful update to report?
  • Reply 78 of 256
    Got it! Took hour and 30 minutes on a a fast network. Itunes said 3 hours when it started, but luckily didn't take that long. Servers must be getting slammed. Be interesting if Apple is ready for this....or if its possible to be ready with the demand for ios5.
  • Reply 79 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairou View Post

Thanks for the list! I'm at step 7, it sure is puzzling!

all these steps sound like icloud to me..

if this is the last linked backup then of course it needs to back up everything to the cloud this time only.

Obviously this process wont be without it's hiccups. A MAJOR undertaking for over a 100 MILLION iOS owners??? C'mon people.... lets all CHILL
  • Reply 80 of 256
    I'm excited to see all the iOS5 hopefuls! Been using it for 3 months now of course all the beta builds but was quite excited for the GM build last week!

Now I can hardly wait for the iPhone 4S this friday.

I can probably upload the GM Seed if anyone wants?