Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 101 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Just installed iOS5 and activated iCloud. It's saying it cannot back up my iPhone because there's not enough storage available. My iPhone uses up around 28Gb of space at the moment.

This means I have 2 options:

1) Buy additional iCloud storage space with Apple and pay 70USD for 50Gb per year

2) Back up only to my Mac Locally via iTunes

Kinda sucks 5Gb...most people use more than 5Gb on their iPhone I am pretty sure...

Decisions decisions....

Not sure if Apps, Video & Music are counted against your iCloud quota since Apple allows redownloading of all that stuff from the iCloud without you having to put it there to begin with.

Granted, in terms of music and video, you would have had to of purchased them from iTunes for that to be true.
  • Reply 102 of 256
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Cue would be correct.

So we were both wrong. Just goes to show 'ya.
  • Reply 103 of 256
    mrboba1 speaks the truth. It took me 6 tried to finally get through to the server. Download and update was successful. You have to figure that their server that verifies your phone is completely overwhelmed right now. You should wait until there is less traffic or keep trying.
  • Reply 104 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's "cue"

Queue means something totally different. Que means nothing.

Que means "what" or "that" in Spanish
  • Reply 105 of 256
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

Not sure if Apps, Video & Music are counted against your iCloud quota since Apple allows redownloading of all that stuff from the iCloud without you having to put it there to begin with.

Granted, in terms of music and video, you would have had to of purchased them from iTunes for that to be true.

My photos and videos are taking up 8Gb on my iPhone. This could be the issue I reckon
  • Reply 106 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Nope, apparently quite a few folks with this error per the Apple boards. Typical suggestions are all I'm seeing there, reboot computer, turn off AV/firewall/blah blah blah, no one reporting success after having experiened the problem.

Anxiously awaiting the details from someone else's success as I'm not having any.

Now trying my iPad, it's downloadng the update as well, see where this one goes.

Crap. iPad2 upgrade failed with error 3200 as well. Lovely.
  • Reply 107 of 256
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Can someone help?

I am trying to upgrade to iOS 5 on my iphone. But it says it will delete all my apps if i do?!

So apparently, i should sync the apps first, is this correct? But the apps that are synced on my itunes, are all my iPad apps, which are very different from what i have on my iphone...So when i try to sync, it says it will replace all the apps on the iPhone with the ones in the itunes library (from the iPad) which i don't want. Is it really true it will delete apps, when syncing? I thought it would only add apps on either deveice, never delete them?

So what should i do??
  • Reply 108 of 256
    Success. Started about 1:30pm EST and finished a little after 3:30 EST. This was on an iPhone 3GS and a MacBook running 10.6.8. After you do get further into the install, there will be a long time for restoring Applications. This is followed by Restoring music and video. Fortunately, I only have 2.5 GB of media on this device so that went fairly rapidly. At the end, your updated iPhone will run you through some setup routines (mostly iCloud related) but also, strangely, wanting to reset your iPhone's password and a few other housekeeping chores that I have already forgotten.

Hope things start going better for those of you having problems.
  • Reply 109 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Can someone help?

I am trying to upgrade to iOS 5 on my iphone. But it says it will delete all my apps if i do?!

So apparently, i should sync the apps first, is this correct? But the apps that are synced on my itunes, are all my iPad apps, which are very different from what i have on my iphone...So when i try to sync, it says it will replace all the apps on the iPhone with the ones in the itunes library (from the iPad) which i don't want. Is it really true it will delete apps, when syncing? I thought it would only add apps on either deveice, never delete them?

So what should i do??

So by going off your very confusing post, yes you must do a full backup (recommended anyway) before doing the update. Even if you chose update, it will do a full restore regardless causing you to restore from backup and reload your Apps. If you did a backup in iTunes, this is not a problem. If you are using a computer other than the one you normally sync apps with, yes it will erase the Apps on the phone first. THis can be mitigated by transferring your purchases to the machine first if you've authorized it to your iTunes account.
  • Reply 110 of 256
    I tried 10-15 times and kept getting the error 3200 message. Lame..

I have now turned on flight mode and that seems to have worked. It is now installing on iPhone 4. My girlfriend's iPhone 3GS ran smoothly.
  • Reply 111 of 256
    mine is done! yeah! VERY cool! imessage is awesome!!!! love it! all new interface for texts!!! reminders app rules!!!!! I so needed it!!

am still figuring out icloud. just bought 50 gbs for $100.... Apple just sucks the $$$ right out of me...
  • Reply 112 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sootnthai View Post

mrboba1 speaks the truth. It took me 6 tried to finally get through to the server. Download and update was successful. You have to figure that their server that verifies your phone is completely overwhelmed right now. You should wait until there is less traffic or keep trying.

There are a couple different issues. Problems downloading is one, actually completing the upgrade after a successful download is another. Quite a few can't complete the upgrade and so far there are no real solutions once an error 3200 is experienced.

Guess I'll go over to the Apple boards for an official Apple response. Oh wait, there won't be one.
  • Reply 113 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnielse View Post

I tried 10-15 times and kept getting the error 3200 message. Lame..

I have now turned on flight mode and that seems to have worked. It is now installing on iPhone 4. My girlfriend's iPhone 3GS ran smoothly.

Airplane mode. Interesting, I'll try it.

Edit: Nope. Error 3200 persists. I give up for a day or two until some real solutions are documented.
  • Reply 114 of 256
    Hello Folks,

While downloading, I received an error: "The iPhone could not be restored. An internal error occurred"

Any advice before restore my i4 to its original setting and proceed with download....

Please help!

DCM xx
  • Reply 115 of 256
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Going to take 5 hours to get AppleTV update, though that could be an issue with this LAN.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superjunaid View Post

AppleTV update includes AirPlay via iOS 5 devices, Mirroring for iPad2 and iPhone4S

Is mirroring only down via the 30-pin connector or can you mirror with AirPlay, too?
  • Reply 116 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCMikey1 View Post

Hello Folks,

While downloading, I received an error: "The iPhone could not be restored. An internal error occurred"

Any advice before restore my i4 to its original setting and proceed with download....

Please help!

DCM xx

Do you have enough space on your hard drive for a backup? How much data is on your iphone? How many older backups do you have on your mac?
  • Reply 117 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Do you have enough space on your hard drive for a backup? How much data is on your iphone? How many older backups do you have on your mac?

I don't have any, this is the 1st backup.....
  • Reply 118 of 256
    AppleTV = Failed

iPad 2 Error 3200

iPhone 4, Succeeded but all my App folders blown out.
  • Reply 119 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCMikey1 View Post

Hello Folks,

Please help!

DCM xx

Do you have it checked to sync music? Try unchecking that.
  • Reply 120 of 256
    Can?t download, after some Mbytes went through it crashes and then I have to start all over.

But wasn?t it CLEAR that the servers would be overloaded, Apple DID know it, WHY didn?t they try to balance it, like to download updates on the background or create a downloading utility, etc. Why? Apple seems more and more like ex-IBM laptops after it sold the whole business to Lenovo.