Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 121 of 256
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Updating for me has been nothing short of a disaster.
  • Reply 122 of 256
    I also got the internal error a couple of times and am still trying. I read elsewhere that it is because Apples servers are swamped with requests and can only handle half of them. The site also says, keep on trying, it can be tedious, but eventually you'll get trough.

Maybe waiting a couple of days will help, too. Any volunteers?
  • Reply 123 of 256
    Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.
  • Reply 124 of 256
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

So by going off your very confusing post, yes you must do a full backup (recommended anyway) before doing the update. Even if you chose update, it will do a full restore regardless causing you to restore from backup and reload your Apps. If you did a backup in iTunes, this is not a problem. If you are using a computer other than the one you normally sync apps with, yes it will erase the Apps on the phone first. THis can be mitigated by transferring your purchases to the machine first if you've authorized it to your iTunes account.

thanks. the secret was RIGHT CLICKING on the phone, then chose transfer purchases! What abaout calling it "transfer apps"? i mean it transfers all apps right? also the free ones...

What were they thinking??

This has to be the single most user un-friendly function Apple has ever implemented. Why would they hide such an essential function here?? Why not a big fat button in the Summary view? The syncing between iphone/ipad/several computers really needs to be fixed asap. As it is now it is more than confusing.

Noone wants to loose data, and all the options you have including loosing data!
  • Reply 125 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KAB77 View Post

Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.

I just got off the phone with Apple rep. He said they are having a problem with "a server" that is causing the "internal error" code and inability to upgrade to iOS 5. He said to try again every few hours and if the problem is not resolved by tomorrow to call them back with my case number.

He said "this is the only issue we've been dealing with for the past few hours". Apparently lots of calls. I didn't even have to explain to him my problem. He asked me, "Are you getting the internal error message when you try to update?" before I had a chance to describe the problem. So Apple is well aware of the problem.

John
  • Reply 126 of 256
    John -- Thanks for your response it is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

I just got off the phone with Apple rep. He said they are having a problem with "a server" that is causing the "internal error" code and inability to upgrade to iOS 5. He said to try again every few hours and if the problem is not resolved by tomorrow to call them back with my case number.

He said "this is the only issue we've been dealing with for the past few hours". Apparently lots of calls. I didn't even have to explain to him my problem. He asked me, "Are you getting the internal error message when you try to update?" before I had a chance to describe the problem. So Apple is well aware of the problem.

John

• Reply 127 of 256
    I had minimal issues installing iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 (16GB AT&T). Upon first trying to install iOS 5 I did get an error message, but on the second try it worked fine. Downloading iOS 5 at 2pm EST finished in less than 30 minutes and all told it took about 1 hour and 45 minutes from starting the download to fully updated and restored phone. Copying back 16GB of music and apps was took the most of that time actually.

The only app I see an issue with was Calendar, which failed to launch once, then launched slowly after that, then froze, then relaunched and I saw every event already on the calendar now appears twice.

Other than that, everything seems to be running pretty snappily, so no iPhone 3G to iOS 4 horror slowdown.

I really like the quick view notifications (by sliding down from the top menu bar).

I REALLY like that you can slide the keyboard out of the way once you start typing a text so you can see what the person wrote in the previous text. Before the keyboard took up the whole screen. The "send" button is now green too.
  • Reply 128 of 256
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

John

If you have the time, you will be able to get through it if you are patient enough to ignore the messages and simply try again. I didn't have to restart the computer or anything, just hit update, let it back up (annoyingly long) and then hope that it works this time.

Like I said earlier, I got my iPad updated after 7 tries. You only have to d/l once, so that's good, I guess.
  • Reply 129 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

thanks. the secret was RIGHT CLICKING on the phone, then chose transfer purchases! What abaout calling it "transfer apps"? i mean it transfers all apps right? also the free ones...

What were they thinking??

This has to be the single most user un-friendly function Apple has ever implemented. Why would they hide such an essential function here?? Why not a big fat button in the Summary view? The syncing between iphone/ipad/several computers really needs to be fixed asap. As it is now it is more than confusing.

Noone wants to loose data, and all the options you have including loosing data!

Also it says it will delete your texts! But there is no way in itunes to back up texts?!! This is ridiculous!

Well even though the Apps are free, you do technically "purchase" them. Once you've sync'd to the new computer, it'll automatically transfer new purchases after that. Of course once you upgrade to iOS5 and backup to iCloud, none of that will matter anymore.
  • Reply 130 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Airplane mode. Interesting, I'll try it.

Edit: Nope. Error 3200 persists. I give up for a day or two until some real solutions are documented.

Weird. Worked like a charm here. I cannot take credit for it, though. Got it from a UK forum where some users also had luck after turning on flight mode. It seems that it is the communication with the Apple servers that causes the bottleneck, so flight mode should force the iPhone to do an "offline update" from the downloaded iOS 5 file.
  • Reply 131 of 256
    My 10.7.2 update went smoothly: 40 mins to download, and a few mins more after restart.

Given all the issues people are bringing up here, I am going to hold off on iOS 5 until this weekend.

It is truly frustrating to see so many having a terrible experience: Apple just does not seem to be getting these things right from the get-go, these days.

C'mon, Mr. Cook. You are really making it look like you're not off to a good start here: Commit the needed damn resources, and figure out a better way to stagger things.
  • Reply 132 of 256
    Hmm... installation done and everything, but it seems that my GameCenter account got corrupted.

I.e. when I open the GameCenter app it asks me to enter a new nickname but then brings up an error that this nickname (which is my nickname) would be in use already...
  • Reply 133 of 256
    emveeemvee Posts: 27member
    Nobody having the 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone "..." because it is locked with a passcode.' error?

Can't turn of the passcode unfortunately because these are company settings I can't access...
  • Reply 134 of 256
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 10.7.2 update went smoothly: 40 mins to download, and a few mins more after restart.

Given all the issues people are bringing up here, I am going to hold off on iOS 5 until this weekend.

It is truly frustrating to see so many having a terrible experience: Apple just does not seem to be getting these things right from the get-go, these days.

C'mon, Mr. Cook. You are really making it look like you're not off to a good start here: Commit the needed damn resources, and figure out a better way to stagger things.

It seems like the same thing every time for as long as I can remember, the difference seems to be that there are more Apple customers and therefore more Apple customers complaining. People I personally know haven't had any issues with Apple's HW, OS or apps working properly with these updates? and they aren't going to join a forum just to say how well it all worked out for them. These sort of complaints could very well will continue to grow even if Apple reduces the percentage of people that having complaints. That's a problem with rapid growth and domineering mindshare? and it's a problem every business wishes they had.
  • Reply 135 of 256
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Nobody having the 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone "..." because it is locked with a passcode.' error?

This is a security measure. Unlock your device then do the restore.
  • Reply 136 of 256
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

you might also want to un-register your device at the iOS portal.

Why would he want to do that?
  • Reply 137 of 256
    emveeemvee Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is a security measure. Unlock your device then do the restore.

Unfortunately it happens halfway the restore, when the iPhone is turning itself off and on again...
  • Reply 138 of 256
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Updating for me has been nothing short of a disaster.

Drama Queen?
  • Reply 139 of 256
    Hope this helps: if you have downloaded the update and have gotten the unable to restore message then there is nothing YOU can do other than to keep trying. The issue is with Apple.

After trying dozens of times I simply gave up and started to download the Lion updates. About half way through a really slow download of 10.7.2 I noticed that suddenly things picked up - like someone flipped a switch at Apple.

After my Mac's OS was updated I tried again to update my iPad. I did "option" restore and then pointed iTunes to the .ipsw file (which I had moved to the desktop). Voila, it worked.

But I don't think I did anything special, I simply think that Apple's servers were working better.

Don't press update over and over again, all you'll do is continue to do that slow back-up - no need to do that if you've completed one good back-up. (You should do back-up BEFORE starting this process, just to be sure.)

Good luck, and have patience.
  • Reply 140 of 256
    Lost all my apps and can't restore them as they were on the iPad.

EDIT - Take that back, about Pages specifically..everything is still saved..PHEW!