Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 141 of 256
    Hey guys,

I got those damn errors for > 6 times.

I thought maybe they changed a DNS entry to route traffic to another server. So I cleared the dns cache of my router and my computer and the next try the update worked just fine.

Maybe that was luck, but maybe this might help you...!
  • Reply 142 of 256
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KAB77 View Post

Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.

1. Do it in DFU mode

2. Use a different usb cable
  • Reply 143 of 256
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Lost all my apps and can't restore them as they were on the iPad. Which means I lost all my 30-some documents in Pages..yippee!

So, you're saying that you didn't backup before upgrading? Because if you did backup it would restore all of your apps information and settings.
  • Reply 144 of 256
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Drama Queen?

• Reply 145 of 256
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    I have all the apps organized in different folders on my 4g touch. I know that after installing iOS 5 all these folders will be gone and the apps will again be sorted by default order.

Is there any way to counter this? Because I have more than 200 apps and it's a real pain to again sort them in order.
  • Reply 146 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Going to take 5 hours to get AppleTV update, though that could be an issue with this LAN.

Is mirroring only down via the 30-pin connector or can you mirror with AirPlay, too?

Wireless from iPad 2 to Apple TV. Everything you get on the iPad screen shows up on the TV screen... exact mirroring.

I tried several apps including Keynote, Pages, Mail and a game. They all appear fine on my 42" plasma in boxed format (not wide screen).

Awesome.
  • Reply 147 of 256
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

I have all the apps organized in different folders on my 4g touch. I know that after installing iOS 5 all these folders will be gone and the apps will again be sorted by default order.

Is there any way to counter this? Because I have more than 200 apps and it's a real pain to again sort them in order.

Step 1: Back up your iOS 4.x device.

Step 2: Install iOS 5.0.

Step 3: Use latest backup to restore settings when asked.
  • Reply 148 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KAB77 View Post

Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.

Me too! Anyone got a fix for this?? Restore and Update are both failing.
  • Reply 149 of 256
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Wireless from iPad 2 to Apple TV. Everything you get on the iPad screen shows up on the TV screen... exact mirroring.

I tried several apps including Keynote, Pages, Mail and a game. They all appear fine on my 42" plasma in boxed format (not wide screen).

Awesome.

Sweet. My only feature wish for that would be an AirDrop like, ad-hoc direct connection so you can bypass any routers. Not so much for a home LAN, but for a classroom or boardroom where anyone with an iPad could easily be given the reigns for a presentation without having to access the school/company's network or require the additional cost or hassle of a gateway device.
  • Reply 150 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So, you're saying that you didn't backup before upgrading? Because if you did backup it would restore all of your apps information and settings.

Did backup..backed up like 5 times. I still have to reload all my apps. Or I guess sync all my apps back.

Tried the restore from backup a couple of times and each time the apps were gone.
  • Reply 151 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

You could download the IPSW for 5.0 and do a restore. I have the download links if you want them.

NOTE: These links are directly from Apple so no funny business here.

are your links still available...

I have been trying all afternoon to get past the internal error...
  • Reply 152 of 256
    FSCK!!!

The update started. "Prepared" my iPhone4 for update. Then spent 10 minutes "Verifying" my restore with Apple. Then stopped with an error.

Now my phone is in recovery mode. I can't use the fscking thing, and I can't do an upgrade or an update because iTunes keeps telling me an error occurred.

This sux. I can't even call Apple, because my fscking iPhone just shows a USB cable pointing to an iTunes icon.

What a fuster cluck!
  • Reply 153 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sweet. My only feature wish for that would be an AirDrop like, ad-hoc direct connection so you can bypass any routers. Not so much for a home LAN, but for a classroom or boardroom where anyone with an iPad could easily be given the reigns for a presentation without having to access the school/company's network or require the additional cost or hassle of a gateway device.

While playing around with it I was imagining the potential for classrooms; carrying an Apple TV isn't much of a hassle given the freedom to walk around, etc. Double click the home button, swipe to the same page where volume and other controls are and the Airplay button is right there. A mini menu comes up that allows to turn mirroring on/off. Switch it on and it pops onto the TV pretty snappily.

I wonder what they have planned for Apple TV 3...

Only thing is, many of the TVs I've seen have the HDMI ports in the back, so if anybody has one mounted on a wall, for example, it will be pretty difficult to plug in to.

Just the same, things are moving in a very interesting direction.
  • Reply 154 of 256
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I downloaded the update, but the installation failed, not sure why that happen, will attempt again when I get home from work.
  • Reply 155 of 256
    After much effort (updating to 10.7.2, redownloading iOS 5 ipsw, complete reinstall of iTunes), I finally managed to get it to continue with the upgrade process. Now it gets to about 75% on the phone screen (though iTunes says 100% for "Restoring iPhone software"), and then it fails. Again and again.

Now I'm stuck in DFU mode. I've tried it on different USB ports, different cables, and even different computers. Done RecBoot and other tricks to get it out of DFU mode, and it just endlessly cycles between the Apple logo and the spinning "loading" screen.

I'm going to try to update two more times, and if it doesn't work, I'll put it in that endless loop of trying to boot up while I go to work. Maybe it just needs to go longer before it finishes starting up. At the very least, it should drain the battery while I'm gone...

If I can't get it working by tomorrow, I'm taking it in to Apple. Probably have to wait ten hours before I can get help (that store is mobbed on the best of days).
  • Reply 156 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgerdes View Post

are your links still available...

I have been trying all afternoon to get past the internal error...

PM sent.
  • Reply 157 of 256
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Probably just a coincidence, but I failed for times in a row (Error 3014) - I was using Google and OpenDNS for my domain resolution - I switched my local router, which uses my ISP (Optimum Online), and it worked immediately for my iPhone.
  • Reply 158 of 256
    Hi, Has anyone Tested Gevey Card in IOS 5 ??? THX
  • Reply 159 of 256
    Thanks to all replied to my thread! My i4 just finished downloading and ALL is well in Apple land! Thanks again everyone, you're suggestions were most helpful!

Cheers,

Mike
  • Reply 160 of 256
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    I dont think I would ever going to update this on my Ipad2. I am only using Ipad2 for webbrowsing and games in bed and as a toy for my preschool children. For me, it is not needed.

It maybe just me, but I feel that there must be something else to lure exisisting Apple customer to upgrade their hardwares or to purchase something to fully utilise this IOS5.

No Hurry from me.