Apple's Mac now 13% of US market as iPad snags dollars away from PCs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple experienced the strongest growth among the top five vendors in the U.S. PC market last quarter with shipments rising 21% on a yearly basis to garner the Mac maker a near 13% share. At the same time, the nation's obsession with the iPad took spending dollars away from PCs.

Market research firm Gartner said Wednesday that its preliminary data suggests Apple sold a record 2,300,000 systems in the U.S. alone during the three month period ending Sept. 30th, boosting its slice of the market from 10.8% to 12.9% on a year-over-year basis.

"Apple's PC shipments increased 21.5 percent in the third quarter of 2011," said analyst Mikako Kitagawa. "The robust growth of the MacBook Air continued to lead Apple's overall growth in the U.S. market."

HP, which is rumored to be plotting an exit from the PC business, continued to the lead pack, shipping an estimated 5,132,614 systems, a 15% increase that gave it a 28.9% share. On the other hand, second place Dell saw sales decline 7% to 3,886,864 with a 21.9% share as it faced intensified competition in the professional space.

Behind Apple in fourth place and an 8.4% share is Toshiba, whose sales are estimated to have slipped about 4% to 1,486,100 units. Meanwhile, Acer's slide down the charts continued, as the netbook maker saw sales decline more than 25% to just 1,378,768 units and a 7.8% slice of the market.

"Acer mostly cleared its inventory buildup in the EMEA region by the third quarter of 2011" Kitagawa said. "However, channels have been adopting a conservative position in regard to placing orders following the inventory issues."

Overall, Gartner said U.S. PC shipments totaled 17.8 million units in the third quarter of 2011, a 1.1 percent increase from the third quarter of 2010. It was the first time that the US market experienced year-over-year growth since last year.

"The main contributor to the weak consumer PC market in the U.S. was intensified competition for consumers' money," Kitagawa said. "Media tablets and smartphones took center stage in the U.S. retail sector, and the expectation is for continuing demand for these devices throughout the holiday season."

On a global scale, worldwide PC shipments totaled 91.8 million units -- a 3.2 percent increase from the third quarter of 2010. Those figures are slightly lower than Gartner's expectations of 5.1 percent growth.

"The inventory buildup, which slowed growth the last four quarters, mostly cleared out during the third quarter of this year; however, the PC industry has been performing below normal seasonality," Kitagawa said. "As expected, back-to-school PC sales were disappointing in mature markets, confirming that the consumer PC market continues to be weak."

She added that the popularity of non-PC devices, including media tablets such as Apple's iPad "took consumers' spending away from PCs."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    In 5 years, Apple may catch Dell. That is... if things continue in Apple's direction post-Jobs.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "snags dollars away"

That title has DE written all over it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

In 5 years, Apple may catch Dell. That is... if things continue in Apple's direction post-Jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in much less than 5 years. As the iPhone and iPad muscle their way into the Fortune 500, corporate resistance to the Mac will evaporate. Once that happens, it's game over for the clone makers.

HP's idiocy regarding their PC business is already making Apple look like the most reliable vendor of desktop hardware in the eyes of most businessmen. IT departments are probably the last remaining holdouts, and they'll be easily steamrollered in this economic climate if executives decide they want Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It's Dell who wants to catch Apple. In business money matters first. No to mention I consider the iPad a computer so it really is Dell who wants to catch Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Way to go HP, at least on unit sales.

2) Dell is not fairing well. I think the 5y market is definite with current rates of growth but I think it could as low as 2 years with acceleration of each in their current direction, the iPad taking low end sales and now being "PC-free", and Mac notebooks being increasingly difficult for other "PC" vendors to match on price.

3) People really don't seem to like netbooks. I wonder who saw that coming¡

4) It's been years since it was mentioned Apple takes 1/3 of all "PC" industry profits. I wonder what that's up to now?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    That means 13% of US computers are crashing now while trying to update to 10.7.2, not to mention 28% of smartphones.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    OSX is still the best OS on the market, and unlike the recent phone update (which left me hugely disappointed) the desktop/laptop offering is quite solid. In every category from mini to mac pro to displays apple's desktop business is amazing products and very good price points. Let's hope they don't spin it off any time soon.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 20
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's Dell who wants to catch Apple. In business money matters first.

As Apple beefs up it's corporate management of iOS devices (wifi sync has other shoes to drop yet, I'm sure!) I wouldn't be surprised if iPad start replacing PC's for significant numbers of people. That's the thing lurking in the shadows that most pundits don't want to acknowledge. The game has truly changed!

Quote:

Not to mention I consider the iPad a computer so it really is Dell who wants to catch Apple.

Exactly - especially as iPad sales ramp up and really start to cannibalize their low end!

Next hot stock - managed wifi network vendors! Proliferation of iPads and iPhones are going to cause wifi management issues much larger than seen today!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

unlike the recent phone update (which left me hugely disappointed)

I hear this all the time but am really mystified - what exactly were you expecting that Apple didn't deliver? And what do you have now?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Too bad Gartner is regarded by so many regulars here as being untrustworthy. If it wasn't for that, this article might have been good news for Apple.

When speculating, they are. Here they are citing hard data and providing analysis that's along the lines of "motherhood and apple pie" - in other words, it could have come from anyone and is pretty easy to see if it's accurate or not.

I do wish they would drop the ridiculous "media tablet" and if not, I wish people who quote them would just not quote it. Such a stupid, made up word.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    The main reason why large companies have MSFT PCs is because of Exchange/Office and MSFT select agreement. The Select program forces companies to buy license to all MSFT products.

Licence handling is real hard in large companies. Therefore they sign Select = "unlimited license" for Windows/Office. The problem is that MSFT force the companies to use crap like Exchange.

Companies are also very short sighted. A Unix workstation cost 2000 dollar. A PC 500 dollar. Since personal and IT spending is on two different accounts, they usually chose the 500 dollar option.

At Ericsson they had to have 1 IT technician per 10 PC. It was 1 IT technician per 100 Mac/Unix workstation. Total cost of ownership is so much lover on real computers then windows.

To bad that Apple is moving away from computers and the corporate market. The Xserve was a real cheap Unix server with great support.

To bad there is no alternative to Windows. If you don't want a mac, you have to use windows. (Linux has less then 1% market share). Windows is still a monopoly and abuse its monopoly with technology that locks people in like DirectX instead of open standard like OpenGL.

Apple is accused of being a closed company. Apple at least follow open standards.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I think that once Apple computers reach a 20% market share annually it will skyrocket to be equal to Windows in another two or three years. From there Windows will die. Who will want to own a Windows machine when so many other people are owning Macs?

So how many years from now will Apple be the dominant computer manufacturer in the USA? By that I mean selling half of all computers in the USA.

This could happen in five years because of the spearheading done by the iPhone. When you buy an app for the iPhone you automatically get that app for your Apple computer and iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    laleslales Posts: 33member
    Unless I misread it, the data wasn't specific - does this include enterprise as well? Which leads to: Does anyone know what the actual percentage Apple holds of U.S. consumer share? The last detail I could Google dates to 2009 and was in the 20% range.

Does someone have more recent and reliable numbers?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I think that once Apple computers reach a 20% market share annually it will skyrocket to be equal to Windows in another two or three years. From there Windows will die. Who will want to own a Windows machine when so many other people are owning Macs?

So how many years from now will Apple be the dominant computer manufacturer in the USA? By that I mean selling half of all computers in the USA.

This could happen in five years because of the spearheading done by the iPhone. When you buy an app for the iPhone you automatically get that app for your Apple computer and iPad.

Wow...what are you smoking'?

I don't have any other kind of desktop, laptop, tablet, device or phone in my home except Apple (unless you count Wii and Playstation and their derivatives), so I'm all for the Apple ecosystem and its success in all quarters...

but I also had a few Betamax's...

So I suggest you pinch yourself, stand in front of a mirror, and recite, a few times, Mencken's dictum:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

I know, its a bigger world than that, but some truths tend toward the universal. And HP's unit sales weren't slumping, either.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Wow...what are you smoking'?

I don't have any other kind of desktop, laptop, tablet, device or phone in my home except Apple (unless you count Wii and Playstation and their derivatives), so I'm all for the Apple ecosystem and its success in all quarters...

but I also had a few Betamax's...

So I suggest you pinch yourself, stand in front of a mirror, and recite, a few times, Mencken's dictum:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

I know, its a bigger world than that, but some truths tend toward the universal. And HP's unit sales weren't slumping, either.

Exactly. Companies have excess monitors, keyboards, mouses, and printers. So when they need JUST a computer tower- do they buy the $300 dell or the $1200 iMac (or even $600 Mac mini plus an optical drive).

Mid-large business won't go full Mac in decades. Most STILL run xp- windows 7 allowed a lot to switch to it. Companies don't change because they're kids and friends have macs at home.

I am the only guy in my office with an iMac because I have the owners ear. . But he'd never buy another one for anybody else due to cost.

And I'm fine with that- there's enough people for 2+ players. I hate no competition.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Exactly. Companies have excess monitors, keyboards, mouses, and printers. So when they need JUST a computer tower- do they buy the $300 dell or the $1200 iMac (or even $600 Mac mini plus an optical drive).

The big company that I worked for last paid $2500/year for a lease and phone support contract on my $2000 windows computer. Somehow I don't think that they care about these numbers.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

The big company that I worked for last paid $2500/year for a lease and phone support contract on my $2000 windows computer. Somehow I don't think that they care about these numbers.

Your typical data entry person won't be getting a 2k pc.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Rounding error.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

The main reason why large companies have MSFT PCs is because of Exchange/Office and MSFT select agreement. The Select program forces companies to buy license to all MSFT products.

Licence handling is real hard in large companies. Therefore they sign Select = "unlimited license" for Windows/Office. The problem is that MSFT force the companies to use crap like Exchange.

Companies are also very short sighted. A Unix workstation cost 2000 dollar. A PC 500 dollar. Since personal and IT spending is on two different accounts, they usually chose the 500 dollar option.

At Ericsson they had to have 1 IT technician per 10 PC. It was 1 IT technician per 100 Mac/Unix workstation. Total cost of ownership is so much lover on real computers then windows.

To bad that Apple is moving away from computers and the corporate market. The Xserve was a real cheap Unix server with great support.

To bad there is no alternative to Windows. If you don't want a mac, you have to use windows. (Linux has less then 1% market share). Windows is still a monopoly and abuse its monopoly with technology that locks people in like DirectX instead of open standard like OpenGL.

Apple is accused of being a closed company. Apple at least follow open standards.

there is a vast market for apple in enterprise with IT people just waiting to get rid of windows....i am hoping that the will revisit enterprise since steve is gone. if not now, they will if they start to lose ground. too many sales opportunities in corporate to ignore.