Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 181 of 256
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My iPhone won't update, my Apple TV won't update, I'll try my iPad next.

In less than 23 hours I will be selling iPhone 4S's here in Australia.

I hope the activations will run smoothly.

Maybe Apple should stagger these based on time zones, we didn't get iOS 5 until the early hours of the 13th.

Keep trying with a single device. You will eventually succeed.

Or, go get dinner and come back.
  • Reply 182 of 256
    I geuss 10th time is the charm Finally at the restoring from back up stage. saying about 5 min
  • Reply 183 of 256
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Keep trying with a single device. You will eventually succeed.

Or, go get dinner and come back.

mmm... dinner for breakfast.

now my Apple TV is bricked, I've got a 55" plug into iTunes screen.
  • Reply 184 of 256
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My iPhone won't update, my Apple TV won't update, I'll try my iPad next.

In less than 23 hours I will be selling iPhone 4S's here in Australia.

I hope the activations will run smoothly.

Maybe Apple should stagger these based on time zones, we didn't get iOS 5 until the early hours of the 13th.

It amazes me that they still insist on releasing everything in one day. They could have release the Mac update Monday, iCloud Tuesday, and iOS today.
  • Reply 185 of 256
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Been sitting here watching my 100+ apps restore, wishing that iDevices still had Firewire because it's been like an hour.
  • Reply 186 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post

been trying to update for last hour. Backup completed an hour ago, and phone has been in restore/recovery mode since. Goes through process fine but when it looks like it is about to finish the firmware restore, I get the 3004 error. on about the 7-10th try. running 10.6.8.

I finally got it restored after about the 10th try.
  • Reply 187 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Been sitting here watching my 100+ apps restore, wishing that iDevices still had Firewire because it's been like an hour.

I am watching my apps restore, too. Never saw that before. What is that?
  • Reply 188 of 256
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

its been saying "contacting ipod software server" for 20 mins now...maybe their overloaded?

Maaaaybe.

But then again maybe it's worth hitting refresh 1000 times and posting about it
  • Reply 189 of 256
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Yeah, Firewire is way better than USB. I have an old iPod that still uses firewire.

I need a new external drive soon, and I see that they have all these cheap 2 terrabyte USB 2.0 externals, but screw that! It's not worth it. I'm going to spend more and get a firewire enclosure, because I can't stand the slowness of USB.

Can you imagine having a 2 terrabytes drive and having to use USB ? Sounds like a nightmare.
  • Reply 190 of 256
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I am watching my apps restore, too. Never saw that before. What is that?

I guess it means that your iDevice has been wiped clean and it's installing everything from scratch again.
  • Reply 191 of 256
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    iPad first success.
  • Reply 192 of 256
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Well, forget it. I've been trying for six hours now, and all I get is an error message that the iPhone cannot be updated due to an internal error. Is this the shape of things to come now that Steve has gone? I am getting really frustrated, this is so un-Apple!
  • Reply 193 of 256
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This is the mother of all upgrades - Macs, iPhones, iPod Touches and AppleTVs all being upgraded. Apple servers are taking a pounding that they cannot handle. Hopefully, this is not a harbinger of iCloud might work.

I didn't have much trouble. Yeah, it went a bit slower than usual, but I updated all of my stuff: OSX, iOS, aTV, plus apps including Aperture 3, which is pretty hefty.
  • Reply 194 of 256
    12 Hours.................
  • Reply 195 of 256
    I can totally understand people wanting to update straight away.

I can totally understand there being a lot of glitches at the start of a major update.

But is just pathetic that people who try to upgrade in the first 12 hours of a major software release whinge and moan and bitch when they encounter glitches.

If you want to be one of the first, expect issues, errors, maybe even total disasters. Take it on the chin and tell yourself, that's the price I pay for being one of the first.

If you can't be resilient and deal with all the glitches then just wait a few days, let the resilient people sort out all the glitches for you, then upgrade.

Hopeless bunch of ungrateful whinging losers, some of you.
  • Reply 196 of 256
    Just successfully updated to iOS5 on my 3GS. It was about the 5th attempt. The last time I turned off WiFi, 3G and Cellular Data. I'm not sure whether that was helpful or just coincidental.

Best of luck!
  • Reply 197 of 256
    All I am getting are internal errors for both my iPhone 4, and iPad. Called Apple, and they wanted me to pay because I did not have the extended warranty. Fought that, but they were completely useless. For the first time in a decade, I have nothing nice to say about Apple. Both my iPhone, and iPad are bricks, meaning no os on either.

How does one go about putting an Os on an iPhone, and iPad?
  • Reply 198 of 256
    bleobleo Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Well, forget it. I've been trying for six hours now, and all I get is an error message that the iPhone cannot be updated due to an internal error. Is this the shape of things to come now that Steve has gone? I am getting really frustrated, this is so un-Apple!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

12 Hours.................

I was trying for a good 6 hours and it finally updated successfully. Have faith!
  • Reply 199 of 256
    Putting my phone into airplane mode seems to have done the trick. It was bricked and getting the error message a few times after an initial success at the restore but now it's going through again for good this time.
  • Reply 200 of 256
    Spoke too soon. Got another error message. My phone is currently a brick.