Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 201 of 256
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Absolutely does not work on any of my devices (2 iPod Touches, an iPad, an iPhone 4, and an ATV2).

I keep getting: "_Device name_could not be restored. An internal error occurred"

I backed up and erased the devices, made sure all OS X and iTunes updates were complete, even tried using recovery mode. No dice.

According to the responses on the MacRumors forums, this is happening to a LOT of people.
  • Reply 202 of 256
    25 tries and 2 hours later, I've got success for the iPhone. Now on to the iPad...
  • Reply 203 of 256
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Drama Queen?

Shut it.
  • Reply 204 of 256
    It took some time, and several attempts to restore before I was successful, but the iPad and the iPhone 4 are up and running with iOS 5.

It's snappier! Really. Safari in both Lion and iOS5 is definitely more responsive.
  • Reply 205 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Spoke too soon. Got another error message. My phone is currently a brick.

"Jih",

Don't give up... take a vallium/beer (or both, your choice) and stick with it using all the dirty tricks we have had to use in the previous iOS updates.

Myself like a lot of others did not have an easy go of it either.

After a few retries, resets and restores it finally worked. All?s well that ends well - Ugh!

Oh, one caveat, lookout for the iCloud stuff. I elected to enable it and ended up with multiple^2 duplicate entries in my calendar. Actually I am still cleaning that up but the iOS5 part is working well and no excessive battery drain like I have had with previous iPhone 4 iOS updates.

It appears the OS is stable but the installer is Poop !!!

PS - The only remaining annoyance is iTunes does not auto start when I plug my phone into the laptop, which now that I think about it may have caused some of the problems "I" experienced.

\
  • Reply 206 of 256
    dgg32dgg32 Posts: 10member
    Why after everytime it failed, my iphone has to be backed up again? That backup took more than 10 minutes and just went disappeared after a connection server error?

What is Apple doing??????
  • Reply 207 of 256
    I turned on Airplane Mode and my install worked just fine.
  • Reply 208 of 256
    I upgraded my Mac Pro to 10.7.2 and then upgraded iTunes to 10.5 and then plugged in my iPad 2. I backed up everything to my Mac and then downloaded iOS 5.0. It took a while to do its thing but every thing went very smoothly. All my iPad apps were missing but I clicked the Apps app and then hit the "Purchased" button which showed me all the previous apps that I had downloaded. I then hand picked and downloaded the ones I really wanted to to keep and ignored the rest.

So far all is working great and I am a very happy camper!
  • Reply 209 of 256
    Upgraded to iTunes 10.5, then promptly D/L all my songs from the Cloud onto my laptop without a hitch. Previously they had all been on my main desktop.

So far I like this arrangement and will like it even further when I set up my i4S later this week.

I wanted to test-fire it somewhat early to get a feel for it.
  • Reply 210 of 256
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In less than 23 hours I will be selling iPhone 4S's here in Australia.

Mate, are you a reseller? Are your prices better than Apple Aus?
  • Reply 211 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

mine is in "restore mode" interesting.. Must be backing up to icloud???

now says restoring iphone firmware

this is obviously a HUGE update. A challenge for Apple for sure.

next -- says your iphone is being restored to factory settings....

now -- restore in progress, restoring iphone from backup

backup finished, now says it's restoring Apps.

then it restored music, videos...

next go to the iphone. you'll now see icloud!! I had to purchase more memory.

this is gonna cause sheer panic in people not willing to be patient. This process must mean it's syncing and backing up to and from icloud now. Def. gonna be painful for people who freak and not wait it out. lets see what happens!!

+1 Completely accurate description of the process. It is a freaky thorough update.
  • Reply 212 of 256
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    I got the notification that iOS 5 was available and at 7:30 EST I downloaded iOS 5 for my iPhone 4 the download took almost an hour but now I've lost all my apps and data because the backup after the upgrade consumed the 12GB I had available on my PowerBook and quit because I didn't have enough space to complete the backup for the final sync. WTF are we back to the memory hog backups of iOS 3.0. My hard drive is not that large that I can strip off any more GBs. My last iPhone backup only took 6.6 GB why on earth is this taking so much more. I guess this not doable on a MacBook Air either with such small SSDs. I have an 64GB iPad to upgrade as well what's a Person to do, start throwing away apps?
  • Reply 213 of 256
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I have an 64GB iPad to upgrade as well what's a Person to do, start throwing away apps?

Do like everybody else, get a bigger drive. How do you expect to be able to backup a 64GB iPad if you don't have the space on your main machine to do it?

Either put in a larger internal drive or use an external drive. Drives are dirt cheap nowadays. I only have a 16GB iPad, but I have terrabytes of free space lying around with which to back up to, if needed.
  • Reply 214 of 256
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I got the notification that iOS 5 was available and at 7:30 EST I downloaded iOS 5 for my iPhone 4 the download took almost an hour but now I've lost all my apps and data because the backup after the upgrade consumed the 12GB I had available on my PowerBook and quit because I didn't have enough space to complete the backup for the final sync. WTF are we back to the memory hog backups of iOS 3.0. My hard drive is not that large that I can strip off any more GBs. My last iPhone backup only took 6.6 GB why on earth is this taking so much more. I guess this not doable on a MacBook Air either with such small SSDs. I have an 64GB iPad to upgrade as well what's a Person to do, start throwing away apps?

Having just completed the process, it appears to be backing up the entire contents of of the device, wiping it (assumption), then doing a clean install, then restoring Apps and other content. The operating system install itself took only around 10 minutes - succeeding on first attempt. Interesting that the phone appears to be completely functional while the restore is taking place. It surprised me to see that most of my apps were missing until I realized that they were being restored in the background.

Anyway - if you don't have space on your computer for a complete backup of the device then you are out of luck. Use an external drive.
  • Reply 215 of 256
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bleo View Post

I was trying for a good 6 hours and it finally updated successfully. Have faith!

Wow, your first post ever, and all I can say is Thank you! After reading your positive words I gave it one more chance and wallaa! Got it, went through without a hitch.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 216 of 256
    Well, it took 5 hours of working on it, but I managed to unbrick my phone and get iOS 5 on it. Yay! Unfortunately, some of my songs aren't playing anymore, so I'll have to look into that. Hopefully I just need to sync again.
  • Reply 217 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Realistically. What's up with the "ready" comment???

I mean, this is a major deal, the biggest deal Apple or ANY company on this planet has ever undertaken.

To literally BACKUP peoples devices to their massive servers by OVER 100-200 iOS and OS users isn't going to be easy. Think about it before words insight peoples lack of understanding. :lol

There is no way this will go off without it's issues. Appleheads -- put on your helmets, grab your weapons and prepare for battle, radar shows incoming......

Yes understood its a gigantic undertaking with the back up. Yes of course their ready or they wouldn't have launched. Yes I'm sure there will be issues. My "ready" was more that I was downloading very soon after the announcement and it was already slow on a fast LAN. Thats all.
  • Reply 218 of 256
    I only had one device (iphone 4) to upgrade and must have gotten lucky. All in all seems like a great upgrade and free! Message center very cool. Photo edit and Messages also very nice. iCloud not such a big deal for me, but maybe thats just me. Good luck to all having trouble....hope solutions come quickly.
  • Reply 219 of 256
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It amazes me that they still insist on releasing everything in one day. They could have release the Mac update Monday, iCloud Tuesday, and iOS today.

Or even days apart. I had thought they learned their lesson with their MobileMe/iOS2.0/iPhone 3G perfect storm release debacle.
  • Reply 220 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Can you imagine having a 2 terrabytes drive and having to use USB ? Sounds like a nightmare.

Yes, because I'm enduring it right now. My 2TB LaCie doesn't have two FireWire 400 ports on the back that would let me chain it to my camcorder, just a 400 and 800. Currently I'm on my first generation MacBook that only has one FireWire 400 port.

Adapter wizardry could solve this, but in Egypt it's not always a simple drive to the Apple store for these things.

Still, that's nothing compared to the bottleneck on my USB 1.1 G3 iMac and its 1TB external drive.