Sprint won't offer iPhone 4S with unlocked micro-SIM card slot

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    duoduo Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Sprint and Verizon do not even allow you to bring your own phone to the network.

I don't understand why the unlocked 4S can't work on Sprint or Verizon since both companies have programs in place that allows customers to bring their own device.

Sprint's is part of a court settlement and I believe Verizon's is the fruit of its own initiative.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/26/s...ocking-phones/

If Verizon's policy holds up, their phone may be the one to get if you eventually want to have the phone unlocked.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So? AppleInsider's the one who put the restriction on the Sprint and Verizon iPhones? How could it EVER be read in ANY situation that I'm calling anyone but the telecoms morons for THEIR actions.

Or maybe you're implying that AppleInsider IS the reason there are SIM locks on the CDMA iPhones.

Think, then speak (type).

Dude, you were replying to the part of the article that YOU quoted talking about a Verizon having a "specific version" iPhone and then ranted about the "telecom moron" for thinking they had their own specific version. Whether that's what you intended or not, your post was clearly worded as taking the telecom morons to task for thinking they have a specific version. Go back and read your post. That's what it says.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duo View Post

I don't understand why the unlocked 4S can't work on Sprint or Verizon since both companies have programs in place that allows customers to bring their own device.

Sprint's is part of a court settlement and I believe Verizon's is the fruit of its own initiative.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/26/s...ocking-phones/

If Verizon's policy holds up, their phone may be the one to get if you eventually want to have the phone unlocked.

These are very old articles. If Sprint or Verizon allowed outside devices on their networks we would have heard about it in the last four years. They don't and we haven't.

I also wouldn't get too worked up about what various (obviously ignorant) Sprint reps say at this point. It'll all be clear enough when people get their hands on the phones and try international SIMs.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Isn't the contract sufficient at securing payment from the customer?

Do they unlock the device after the contract period expires? Could be a ploy to diminish the resale value.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Dude, you were replying to the part of the article that YOU quoted talking about a Verizon having a "specific version" iPhone and then ranted about the "telecom moron" for thinking they had their own specific version. Whether that's what you intended or not, your post was clearly worded as taking the telecom morons to task for thinking they have a specific version. Go back and read your post. That's what it says.

Nope. That's not at all what I was saying. Try reading it again. You're definitely smart, so I really don't want to break it down like sophomore English.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    That's lunacy! If they already sell you the contract and lock you in, they get their subsidy, so why are they double dipping?

And AT&T, since they are not the exclusive carrier anymore, they should allow you to legally unlock your iPhone after 90 daysjust like any other phone they sell....maybe they are constrained by Apple who knows, but they both should let you unlock it at SOME point.

I can't blame people taking matters in their own hands and unlocking the devices themselves.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Sprint is CDMA. Where the f... do you think CDMA network exist abroad to have unlocked version of this POS?

70% of this world is GSM. Wake up!

In Europe and South/Middle America as well as Canada you can put CDMA phones in your...

That's why I keep T-Mobile and I might go AT&T (as a poor alternative). After all I can buy SIM starter in Europe in many grocery stores and have my phone working in minutes without roaming.

Perhaps it's dual band? Just saying, cause I heard the term worldphone being kicked around!

Agrred on GSM! There is some CDMA, especially in south and central America, some in Korea, and I think China, but I'm thinking they may not be even compatible with Verizon or sprint! Heck even Verizon and sprint are not compatible.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Someone please explain what this means physically? That is, is there something physically blocking the sim access or is it just some software/firmware setting, or some other electronic lock (perhaps a wired jumper?)
  • Reply 29 of 34
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

This doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't it make sense to you?

Only GSM uses SIM card to determine which carrier it is on. CDMA requires the carrier to actually provision your phone's CDMA hardware to be recognized on their network. If the CDMA carrier refuses to provision your "unlocked" phone without locking it, then you can't use their network.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

There hasn't been any confusion about the unlocked version. But most assumed naively that the cdma versions would be able to take advantage of the micro-sim while abroad.

And depending on their understanding of the words in use, they would be naively correct.

The Sprint iPhone 4S WILL have a pre-installed micro-SIM, and it WILL use that micro-SIM to roam internationally on a GSM-based roaming partner if the customer ever enters a country that doesn't have a CDMA-based roaming partner.

They may have naively thought that they'd be able to swap out that pre-installed micro-SIM to use a local carrier of their own choice rather than being forced to use Sprint's own roaming package. If that was their assumption, then they may end up being very disappointed.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will launch an unlocked version of their popular device on November 5th, starting at $649, though it will only allow access to GSM networks within the U.S.

I was planning to buy one to use in Central America and here on AT&T. What is the point? How can it be unlocked and yet only work in the US?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Sprint is CDMA. Where the f... do you think CDMA network exist abroad to have unlocked version of this POS?

70% of this world is GSM. Wake up!

In Europe and South/Middle America as well as Canada you can put CDMA phones in your...

That's why I keep T-Mobile and I might go AT&T (as a poor alternative). After all I can buy SIM starter in Europe in many grocery stores and have my phone working in minutes without roaming.

ever hear of china? sprint and VZW will make a fortune off people going there for business and expensing their phone calls with their employer
  • Reply 33 of 34
    and they will unlock the micro-SIM on the 4S for 'customers in good standing' after you have been under contract for 60 days. I read it on the reps computer screen.

I was debating going with Sprint or Verizon (I am currently suffering 2G speeds on T-mobile)... looks like it will be Verizon. I travel to Europe a lot and am happy I can have it legally unlocked.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wynn928 View Post

and they will unlock the micro-SIM on the 4S for 'customers in good standing' after you have been under contract for 60 days. I read it on the reps computer screen.

I was debating going with Sprint or Verizon (I am currently suffering 2G speeds on T-mobile)... looks like it will be Verizon. I travel to Europe a lot and am happy I can have it legally unlocked.

Ideally I would still need two phones when I travel. Since I am on AT&T roaming works really well for state side callers to reach me, albeit expensive, but I'm not the one paying the bill so whatever... On the other hand I still need a local phone number in the host country for local calling. You can't have both without two phones.