Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 221 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subsky View Post

With the update to the ios5 i lost everything! my photos my apps my contacts EVERYTHING!

I connect my iphone to itunes and it says "Itunes was interrupted while restoring the contents of Iphone" George's Iphone ". Would you like to restore this Iphone again now? I press Continue restore and it asking me the code for the backup file! I put every code I remember but it says incorrect!! I remember that i had press encrypt backfile when i done iOS 4 update but now i cant fix it!!! Any solutions?Pleaseeeee help me cause i freak out!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Without the correct password you cannot access your old backup. I don't know why people encrypt their iPhone backups. Just password protect your computer!

At least your backup is with you.

Good luck.

I had the same backup password problem, ultimately got frustrated and just turned the dang phone off and restarted it. That worked. I only needed to resync and reload all my music, apps, etc... but I now have iOS 5.
  • Reply 222 of 256
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    A touch of Apple, as usual.

NewsStand's icon can not be put into any folder.

P.S. Well, OK, iOS folders are Apple's shame anyway. They're for linux users only.
  • Reply 223 of 256
    WOW, seems cool!

And just read the iOS 5 200 new features, the ability to play 1080p vids really makes me exciting! Then maybe I don't need to do so much converting. Maybe could make the Apple TV to be a HTV centre. That's so great!
  • Reply 224 of 256
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It is hugely convenient to be able to download my purchases just whenever. I think iCloud is a great use of the Internet. c.f. the tackiness of the Web!
  • Reply 225 of 256
    My iPad is currently an expensive paperweight. "Verifying iPad restore". ARRRGGHHHHHHHH
  • Reply 226 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Keep hitting the Restore button and it will eventually restore. *I had to do it 4 times but it worked.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't read it until now, so what I ended up doing was FINALLY getting it to "Restore To Factory Settings."

Since iPads now coming from the factory have iOS 5 on 'em, that worked,*

but there's 25 GIGS WORTH OF STUFF to put back on it, remake all the folders, re-sign in to everything, recreate a mail account, etc., etc., etc. ....

Look, I'll be the first to say it.

We haven't lost Steve for barely a week and already things are in the toilet?!?

Is this what we have to look forward to in the Cook era?*

Steve would NEVER ever have allowed anything like this to happen and there'd be a bunch of firings

& some sort of makegood gesture done on Steve's part -- like maybe Apple apps that cost money would be free for a weekend, something like that.

The whole iOS 5 process is nightmarish -- so, so not Apple.

Not Apple at all ....

And by the way, where're WEATHER & STOCKS in Notification Center?
  • Reply 227 of 256
    Looks like the convo died off here but I did finally get my phone and iPad updated. They really screwed up my apps and folders on the phone though. I had to spend another 30 minutes getting everything back into place.
  • Reply 228 of 256
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I ended up downloading each of the updates through direct links....took minutes. The problem came when I updated the phone. It took well over an hour and hosed my ringtones. It filled the phone with over 4 gigs of "other," which mysteriously disappeared this morning.

Overall the new OS is Snappier™. No really, it is. Just need to get things back up and running. Also, I've been unable to move to iCloud due to server demand.
  • Reply 229 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Absolutely does not work on any of my devices (2 iPod Touches, an iPad, an iPhone 4, and an ATV2).

I keep getting: "_Device name_could not be restored. An internal error occurred"

I backed up and erased the devices, made sure all OS X and iTunes updates were complete, even tried using recovery mode. No dice.

According to the responses on the MacRumors forums, this is happening to a LOT of people.

Happened to me, too, with VZW iP4. Followed all instructions on the "info" link and discovered I had missed a couple of software updates, plus needed to disconnect all other USBs and connect MBP to router via ethernet, turn off WiFi and disconnect BT keyboard and empty trash that had lots of deleted apps in it and reboot. That did it. But the restore took over an hour on my 32Gb iP4 with 9Gb free. Be patient. Often it looked like the process had frozen but it would soon resume.
  • Reply 230 of 256
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I ended up downloading each of the updates through direct links....took minutes. The problem came when I updated the phone. It took well over an hour and hosed my ringtones. It filled the phone with over 4 gigs of "other," which mysteriously disappeared this morning.

Overall the new OS is Snappier?. No really, it is. Just need to get things back up and running. Also, I've been unable to move to iCloud due to server demand.

I had the same indication of many GB of "Other" - so much so that it warned of over capacity. But when I clicked on the memory usage bar that disappeared. No idea what all that was about.
  • Reply 231 of 256
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    How difficult is it to right click your device icon and then choose backup.

Done? OK, now you know 100% that your settings and folders are all nicely backed up.

Next, update/restore

Try the update button, if it fails try restore. If that fails do a DFU restore.

DFU

Ok, you are probably looking at a USB icon on your device.

Leave the cable attached, press and hold the Home button (the round one on the front) and the power button (the one at the top).

Once the screen goes black (resets) release the buttons then quickly hold them down again.

Count to 10 (you know, say "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10" out loud and then release ONLY the power button.

Keep the home button held down for another 10 count.

Now clear the errors in iTunes then choose restore.

After restoring select the option to restore the backup you took (it will have the time next to it so you know its the one you just took.

Nice and easy, no need for Drama Queens (Ireland) or any screaming or shouting. This is all probably not needed now as Apples servers seem to have calmed down.
  • Reply 232 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't read it until now, so what I ended up doing was FINALLY getting it to "Restore To Factory Settings."

Since iPads now coming from the factory have iOS 5 on 'em, that worked,*

Is this a joke or are you serious?

Quote:

but there's 25 GIGS WORTH OF STUFF to put back on it, remake all the folders, re-sign in to everything, recreate a mail account, etc., etc., etc. ....

Restore the backup in iTunes. It restores all of your settings, folders, installed applications and settings. Really really easy. Unless you didn't backup ?

To do this right click your devices icon in iTunes and select restore backup. Of course of you were paying attention it actually asks you if you want to do this after restoring.

Quote:

Look, I'll be the first to say it.

We haven't lost Steve for barely a week and already things are in the toilet?!?

Is this what we have to look forward to in the Cook era?*

Steve would NEVER ever have allowed anything like this to happen and there'd be a bunch of firings

& some sort of makegood gesture done on Steve's part -- like maybe Apple apps that cost money would be free for a weekend, something like that.

The whole iOS 5 process is nightmarish -- so, so not Apple.

Not Apple at all ....

This is no different from previous upgrades. If you are too impatient to wait to get the update then you deserve all the pain and suffering you have put yourself through due to your ignorance.

Quote:

And by the way, where're WEATHER & STOCKS in Notification Center?

There are no Apple weather or stocks apps on the iPad, didn't you notice that before you upgraded? This is a typical PEB CAK* issue.

*Problem exists between chair and keyboard.
  • Reply 233 of 256
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

A touch of Apple, as usual.

NewsStand's icon can not be put into any folder.

Worse than that- I can't pull my NYTimes App out of newsstand as a standalone App. I now have to tap TWICE to read it! This is progress??
  • Reply 234 of 256
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Is this a joke or are you serious?

Restore the backup in iTunes. It restores all of your settings, folders, installed applications and settings. Really really easy. Unless you didn't backup ?

To do this right click your devices icon in iTunes and select restore backup. Of course of you were paying attention it actually asks you if you want to do this after restoring.

This is no different from previous upgrades. If you are too impatient to wait to get the update then you deserve all the pain and suffering you have put yourself through due to your ignorance.

There are no Apple weather or stocks apps on the iPad, didn't you notice that before you upgraded? This is a typical PEB CAK* issue.

*Problem exists between chair and keyboard.

You seem to have an excuse for everything. This is no way, no how, the same as previous upgrades. Are you for real? Calling others ignorant???
  • Reply 235 of 256
    plz help guys !

found here jailbreak ios 5 !! its untethered guys ? and this tutorial is true or not ?

• Reply 236 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You seem to have an excuse for everything. This is no way, no how, the same as previous upgrades. Are you for real? Calling others ignorant???

It IS the same upgrade process as all previous upgrades. It rewrites the entire OS on the device just as all previous upgrades have. Its not until iOS5 that we will see delta updates which will be a different kettle of fish from previous upgrades.

Now maybe you should crawl back under your bridge mr troll.
  • Reply 237 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

How difficult is it to right click your device icon and then choose backup.

Done? OK, now you know 100% that your settings and folders are all nicely backed up.

Next, update/restore

Try the update button, if it fails try restore. If that fails do a DFU restore.

DFU

Ok, you are probably looking at a USB icon on your device.

Leave the cable attached, press and hold the Home button (the round one on the front) and the power button (the one at the top).

Once the screen goes black (resets) release the buttons then quickly hold them down again.

Count to 10 (you know, say "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10" out loud and then release ONLY the power button.

Keep the home button held down for another 10 count.

Now clear the errors in iTunes then choose restore.

After restoring select the option to restore the backup you took (it will have the time next to it so you know its the one you just took.

Nice and easy, no need for Drama Queens (Ireland) or any screaming or shouting. This is all probably not needed now as Apples servers seem to have calmed down.

Thank You !!

You explanation of HOW TO DO IT made all the difference. My iPhone is completely operable thanks to you post. Much Obliged !!

I signed up here to post my thanks

Mike
  • Reply 238 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Updating as I type. I'm in HK and it was made live around 1:30am HK time

List of updates:

iOS 5 Software Update

This update contains over 200 new features, including the following:

\t?\tNotifications

\t◦\tSwipe from the top of any screen to view notifications in one place with Notification Center

\t◦\tNew notifications appear briefly at the top of the screen

\t◦\tView notifications from lock screen

\t◦\tSlide the notification app icon to the right on the lock screen to go directly to the app

\t?\tiMessage

\t◦\tSend and receive unlimited text, photo, and video messages with other iOS 5 users

\t◦\tTrack messages with delivery and read receipts

\t◦\tGroup messaging and secure encryption

\t◦\tWorks over cellular network and Wi-Fi*

\t?\tNewsstand

\t◦\tAutomatically organizes magazine and newspaper subscriptions on Home Screen

\t◦\tDisplays the cover of the latest issue

\t◦\tBackground downloads of new issues

\t?\tReminders for managing to do lists

\t◦\tSyncs with iCloud, iCal and Outlook

\t◦\tLocation-based reminders when you leave or arrive at a location for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4

\t?\tBuilt-in support for Twitter

\t◦\tSign-in once in Settings and tweet directly from Camera, Photos, Maps, Safari and YouTube

\t◦\tAdd location to any tweet

\t◦\tView twitter profile pictures and usernames in Contacts

\t?\tCamera improvements for devices with cameras

\t◦\tDouble click the home button when device is asleep to bring up a camera shortcut on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)

\t◦\tVolume Up button to take a picture

\t◦\tOptional grid lines to line up shots

\t◦\tPinch to zoom in the preview screen

\t◦\tSwipe to camera roll from preview screen

\t◦\tTap and hold to lock focus and exposure, iPad 2 and iPod touch (4th generation) only support exposure lock

\t?\tPhoto improvements for devices with cameras

\t◦\tCrop and rotate

\t◦\tRed eye removal

\t◦\tOne tap enhance

\t◦\tOrganize photos into albums

\t?\tMail improvements

\t◦\tFormat text using bold, italic, or underlined fonts

\t◦\tIndentation control

\t◦\tDrag to rearrange names in address fields

\t◦\tFlag messages

\t◦\tMass mark messages as flagged, read or unread

\t◦\tCustomize mail alert sounds

\t◦\tS/MIME

\t?\tCalendar improvements

\t◦\tYear view on iPad and new Week view for iPhone and iPod touch

\t◦\tTap to create an event

\t◦\tView and add event attachments

\t?\tGame Center improvements

\t◦\tUse personal photos for your Game Center account

\t◦\tCompare your overall achievement scores with your friends

\t◦\tFind new Game Center friends with friend recommendations and friends of friends

\t◦\tDiscover new games with custom game recommendations

\t?\tAirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S

\t?\tMultitasking Gestures for iPad

\t◦\tUse four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen

\t◦\tSwipe up to reveal the multitasking bar

\t◦\tSwipe left or right to switch between apps

\t?\tOn-device setup, activation and configuration with Setup Assistant

\t?\tSoftware updates available over the air without tethering

\t?\tiCloud support

\t◦\tiTunes in the Cloud

\t◦\tPhoto Stream

\t◦\tDocuments in the Cloud

\t◦\tApps and Books automatic download and purchase history

\t◦\tBackup

\t◦\tContacts, Calendar, and Mail

\t◦\tFind My iPhone

\t?\tRedesigned Music app for iPad

\t?\tHourly weather forecast

\t?\tReal-time stock quotes

\t?\tWireless sync to iTunes

\t?\tKeyboard improvements

\t◦\tSplit keyboard for iPad

\t◦\tImproved autocorrection accuracy

\t◦\tImproved Chinese and Japanese input

\t◦\tNew Emoji keyboard

\t◦\tPersonal dictionary for autocorrection

\t◦\tOptionally create keyboard short cuts for frequently used words

\t?\tAccessibility improvements

\t◦\tOption to light LED flash on incoming calls and alerts for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4

\t◦\tCustom vibration patterns for incoming calls on iPhone

\t◦\tNew interface for using iOS with mobility-impairment input devices

\t◦\tOption to speak a selection of text

\t◦\tCustom element labeling for VoiceOver

\t?\tExchange ActiveSync improvements

\t◦\tWirelessly sync tasks

\t◦\tMark messages as flagged, read or unread

\t◦\tImproved offline support

\t◦\tSave a new contact from a GAL service

\t?\tMore than 1,500 new developer APIs

\t?\tBug fixes

Products compatible with this software update:

\t?\tiPhone 4S

\t?\tiPhone 4

\t?\tiPhone 3GS

\t?\tiPad 2

\t?\tiPad

\t?\tiPod touch (4th generation)

\t?\tiPod touch (3rd generation)

* Normal carrier data rates may apply. Messages will be sent as SMS when iMessage is unavailable, carrier messaging fees apply.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:

\t<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>;

very helpful thank you , that sucks that you cant do apple tv mirroring on the iphone 4, how do you enable it on the ipad 2 though?
  • Reply 239 of 256
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Step 1: Back up your iOS 4.x device.

Step 2: Install iOS 5.0.

Step 3: Use latest backup to restore settings when asked.

Thanks. It worked like a charm.

Anyways what happened to Reading List in Safari of iOS 5?

In keynote Scott had said that iOS 5 will push Reading Lists to all the iOS devices + Safari of Mac & PC. In my MBP's safari I am not able to find any feature related to pushing my reading lists to any iOS devices or may be am I missing something?
  • Reply 240 of 256
    I can't put newsstand into a folder?