Dennis Ritchie passed away

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The co-creator of Unix operating system and the C programming language has passed away. Confirmed by Rob Pike

The significance of Ritchie's contributions can be felt even today, as Mac OS X has Unix roots and Objective-C is a superset of the C language.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

The co-creator of Unix operating system and the C programming language has passed away. Confirmed by Rob Pike

The significance of Ritchie's contributions can be felt even today, as Mac OS X has Unix roots and Objective-C is a superset of the C language.

Very sad news : (

This man had much more of an impact on the modern world then...dare I say on this site... Steve Jobs.

Good bye Dennis RIP
  • Reply 2 of 6
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    main() {

printf("Goodbye world\

");

/* RIP dmr 1941-2011 */

}
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

This man had much more of an impact on the modern world [than] ... Steve Jobs.

what you state is the absolute truth. Dennis Ritchie has been and always will be regarded as a very significant contributor to the modern technology world. any rational person who is familiar with the computer industry (in the past four decades) knows Ritchie is the giant upon which Jobs stood on his shoulders.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I am sorry to hear about his passing. If it was not from him creating the C language, there would probably not be Unix and thus the Internet itself might not be around. Worse part I think is that if you were to ask most people who he was, most people would not know.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Very sad news.

I cut my programming chops on C (after 6502 assembly) with Kernighan & Richie's classic C programming book.

RIP Dennis
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Very sad news : (

This man had much more of an impact on the modern world then...dare I say on this site... Steve Jobs.

Good bye Dennis RIP

I don't think it is fair to compare the two as they both had a significant impact on technology, but yes we wouldn't have had Mac OS X, at least not in its current form, if it weren't for the contributions of the brilliant minds at Bell Labs.

Creating great technologies is only one part of the overall technology equation, the other parts is utilizing these technologies to bring great products to the market. The average user only cares about the latter, but the latter wont exist if it weren't for the former.

Like a chef creating a great dish, as skilled as he is, it wont be possible without the right tools and ingredients.