More users say they'll likely buy iPhone 4S than can find fault in it

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A survey of 1,300 smartphone users in the US found that half said they planned or considered to buy the new phone, while only 29 percent said they were disappointed in the new model.

Those findings, compiled by Retrevo, contradict the general complaint among media pundits of being unimpressed with the new iPhone 4S, which is a faster, enhanced version of the existing iPhone 4 but lacking a new design, LTE 4G connectivity, or a the larger screen some rumors had anticipated.

Of the smartphone users the firm interviewed, only 11 percent said they wished it had a new design, 17 percent said they'd liked to have seen 4G service, and just 7 percent expressed a desire for a larger screen (and that includes respondents tallying up more than one complaint about the new phone).

Among iPhone 4 users, dissatisfaction rates were substantially higher, countering another media-led fallacy that Apple's customers are generally ignorant and will buy anything the company sells without a consideration of features.

Among existing customers 47 percent expressed some disappointment with the iPhone 4S announcement, with 21 percent wishing for a new design, 29 percent wanting 4S service and 12 percent hoping for a larger screen.

Still, 42 percent of existing iPhone 4 users said they planned to buy the new model, and 44 percent of iPhone 3G and 3GS users said they would upgrade.

Just 12 percent of Android owners said they would get the iPhone 4S, but 24 percent of all BlackBerry users said they would upgrade. That's a lower percentage of BlackBerry users who plan to defect than in previous studies Retrevo has conducted, but certainly not good news for RIM.

To obtain the new iPhone 4S, 18 percent of those who said they planned to buy it expect to wait "in a long line" or planned to camp out for the new device in front of the store, while 53 percent didn't anticipate any problems in getting one.

Apple's record setting pace of a million iPhone 4S preorders in 24 hours puts the company in a position to sell nearly 3 million devices on launch weekend, and 25 million in the current quarter, according to reports by Wall Street analysts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Wonder how many of the Android and BB users are from Sprint. I have a colleage who only had an Android phone because he was on Sprint. Needless to say, he's making the switch to the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    (replying based on the title alone)

why would there be a fault in it?

I'm confused
  • Reply 3 of 67
    AT&T holds you prisoner.

I preordered last Friday and was told 1 week. Now I am told 2 - 3 weeks. I tried to cancel and just pick up an iPhone 4 instead and they say they cannot do anything until the phone arrives.

Time to call my credit card company.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    1,300 people is a lot of people to ask for a survey and the fact that half of them said that they're considering to get an iPhone 4S is pretty amazing.

I wonder what the motives of the whiners and crybabies are though. If somebody doesn't like the iPhone 4S for whatever reason then don't buy one, problem solved! It's as if the whiners don't want anybody else to buy the phone either! The whiners and trolls should realize that their opinion is totally irrelevant, nobody cares about what they say and the hordes of people lining up outside Apple stores yet again will prove them wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the new 4S wasn't a little different. Maybe a silver option. Bigger screen, maybe. But that doesn't mean I'm not getting one. It looks amazing and is an upgrade over the 4. I think a lot of those "disappointed" people are probably doing the same as me.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 7 of 67
    so much for the Android base jumping ship
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Is it just me...

Or ar these graphics even more gaudy than the ones DED provides, himself?
  • Reply 9 of 67
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Give it another 6-8 weeks. As more Android phones start using 4.5" 720P displays the iPhone is going to look less attractive.

Don't get me wrong, OS-wise iOS is better than Android IMHO. The app selection is better and the apps are of better quality. But when non-iPhone users go into a store and immediately see some of these big beautiful new displays, the iPhone is going to look less interesting.

-kpluck
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Equally accurate alternative headlines could read:

Here are a few more accurate headlines.

Amazingly, 42% of all iPhone 4 owners plan to upgrade to the iPhone 4S, a truly amazing statistic.

88% of Android users are still broke and they will be sticking with their inferior phones.

1 out of every 4 Blackberry users will be jumping ship and getting an iPhone 4S!

Apple produces their biggest hit ever! iPhone 4S to become most popular phone ever!
  • Reply 11 of 67
    given that no phone or carrier truly meets the 4g spec, can't someone sue them to stop BSing about it?
  • Reply 12 of 67
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Give it another 6-8 weeks. As more Android phones start using 4.5" 720P displays the iPhone is going to look less attractive.

I don't know about you, but my thumb can not fit across anything much larger than a 3.5" screen. 4.5" screen = two handed operation. No thanks, I'll keep a usable screen, thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Don't get me wrong, OS-wise iOS is better than Android IMHO. The app selection is better and the apps are of better quality. But when non-iPhone users go into a store and immediately see some of these big beautiful new displays, the iPhone is going to look less interesting.

-kpluck

Don't get me wrong, I wish the iPhone had a 4.5" screen, but only if Apple could figure out how to make it less than 3.5"... you see, 4.5" is way too big for a phone, I personally wish the iphone 4 weren't as big as it is. I think we're all just biting off more than we can chew wanting that big a screen on something that should be as small or smaller than the feature phones we used to buy and love and want to be even smaller than they were.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Is it just me...

Or ar these graphics even more gaudy than the ones DED provides, himself?

Heh, heh.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Let's take a fresh look at these numbers:

TrollZZs are out!
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I don't know about you, but my thumb can not fit across anything much larger than a 3.5" screen. 4.5" screen = two handed operation. No thanks, I'll keep a usable screen, thanks.

I think that Android people who keep boasting about their 4.5" phone are really poor people and they can't afford an iPad 2.

4.5" is too large for a phone and if somebody wants a bigger size for something, just use an iPad!

You're also right about one handed operation, that is very important.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Typical customer and typical tech forum poster exactly opposite!

I know, the world is still spinning for me too. I mean who could have guessed...

Also... 7% for larger screen! Buahahahahahaha! LMAO!
  • Reply 18 of 67
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's record setting pace of a million iPhone 4S preorders in 24 hours puts the company in a position to sell nearly 3 million devices on launch weekend, and 25 million in the current quarter, according to reports by Wall Street analysts.

is it just me, or do other people find this annoying. It implies that consumer interest is the limiting factor in newly released iPhone sales numbers.

Has this EVER been the case? Seems to me that Apple has always been able to sell all they could deliver in the first months...
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If you had phrased this right there was a "that's what she said" reply in there somewhere, but you gave me nothing. Come on man.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Also... 7% for larger screen! Buahahahahahaha! LMAO!

Those Android phones with large screens are designed for a very specific segment of the market.

Here is a typical Android user using a dumbphone, but they were recently polled and 36% of them stated that they prefer 5" and bigger phones. Anything under 5" was simply too small for their fat thumbs and gorilla hands.