US senators propose bill to require 'accurate 4G information for consumers'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

+1 We already have that in the UK, but clearly should be available in the US

True but it would have mattered little for domestic only users until gen iPhone 4S
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Once they fix that 14+ trillion dollar deficit thing this should be the very next piece of legislation. I can't think of anything more pressing. ((heavily satire laden statement))

We have agencies that already have authority to deal with this and simply need to.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Al Franken should have stuck to SNL.

Everyone would have been better off.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abraxis View Post

We have agencies that already have authority to deal with this and simply need to.

And since they haven't, someone else has to clean up the mess. It's like children who don't clean up their room.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Al Franken should have stuck to SNL.

Everyone would have been better off.

He's consistant about being a consumer watchdog. If that's what his State wants him to do, so be it.

Do we really want this derailed by pointing at individuals? One of the other two introducing it is from the same State as Al.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

He's consistant about being a consumer watchdog. If that's what his State wants him to do, so be it.

Do we really want this derailed by pointing at individuals? One of the others introducing it is from the same State as Al.

Who said anything about a state? I said I miss him in SNL. Chill.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who said anything about a state? I said I miss him in SNL. Chill.

I am chill.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Truth in advertising ... wow what a concept.

But what about "free market", "buyer beware", and "if people can't tell the difference, then they don't deserve to have a phone"?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

To hell with this - let's see some legislation that requires carriers to unlock all subsidized handsets after the contract ends.

Now that's a bill I would support!
  • Reply 30 of 57
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    <Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., and Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn>

a proposal from hell by three of the worst legislators in congress.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or lower the price after the contract period ends.

Not 'or', 'and'.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But what about "free market", "buyer beware", and "if people can't tell the difference, then they don't deserve to have a phone"?

I made no reference as to whether I was for or against, merely laughing at the idea that anything in any advert was ever or could ever be true.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

To hell with this - let's see some legislation that requires carriers to unlock all subsidized handsets after the contract ends.

This is what I thought. This bill is nice and all, but really the telcos should be forced to provide unlock codes for handsets that are outside of contract (or heck, once you've payed the early termination fee to get out of contract).
  • Reply 34 of 57
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

2. The consumer that believes an advertisement deserves what he/she/it gets. There are plenty of private consumer protection and information groups. Do we really need two branches of the Federal Government acting as yet another?

The difference is that any private group can only apply public shaming as a penalty, the state can apply fines and prison sentences.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    This is what our Congress is wasting time on? Like they don't have enough serious matters on their plates, such as cutting down our extremely bloated government, making it more efficient, and reducing its burden on present and future generations?

Instead, these bozos are worrying about how 4G speeds are advertised in the cel phone industry.

Looks like three more Democrat morons are going to be out of a job soon...
  • Reply 36 of 57
    What are you guys complaining about?!

the UTI may have defined what 4G is, but what this bill states will be the MINIMUM speed you will get. Will expose those who throttle, but at least we'll know what the minimum will be.

For once in my life I partially agree with Dems, and sadly AL Franklen... cold beer in hell please?
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Nanny State to the rescue!
  • Reply 38 of 57
    And for Al Frankin's next trick, he can sponsor a bill protecting us from misleading movie names.

Here's your first victim who needs saving, Al:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10...ive/?hpt=hp_c2

P.S. Jump right on it, Al, because I guarantee you she votes "Democrat" every chance she gets....
  • Reply 39 of 57
    More excuses for Congress to interfere and hamper the course of business. Let consumers decide based on the information they're given. If a carrier "lies" to consumers, they'll lose business plain and simple. The Internet treats all information equally and it's dispersal is more "flat" than ever.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    The republicans will never allow such a bill to pass; they get way too much money in "campaign contributions" and outright bribes to allow this.