US senators propose bill to require 'accurate 4G information for consumers'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    I think that advertisers in general have been given a carte blanche, so that they can lie outrageously in their ads and not get called or fined. This is not an opinion, this is a fact. Watch TV every night. Yes, US carriers are lying about "4G." One thing qualifies your network as "4G": high speed LTE, which was about to converge on a common standard. It's not going to do that, because everyone's busy lying.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Here's another question:

Will Al Frankin and his liberal wacko posse sponsor a bill that requires all senators and congressmen to keep their campaign promises?

Oh no, of course not. That's precisely when we'll hear politicians singing the praises of limited government.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

Since the "4G" term has been dumbed down to allow companies to abuse the hell out of it... it has become a joke.

What is it with the 2.5G or 3G or 4G? It makes no sense because it is not a measurement of how fast your connection is. And what is worse is that you might not get any where near the advertised speed depending on your location. Mobile data speeds just can't be measured, hence the confusion. So no, the bill will not help anything. Your speed is going to be slow because there are more mobile users than there is mobile bandwidth capacity.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Here's another question:

Will Al Frankin and his liberal wacko posse sponsor a bill that requires all senators and congressmen to keep their campaign promises?

Oh no, of course not. That's precisely when we'll hear politicians singing the praises of limited government.

No politician makes promises.

If elected I will help with the effort to fight the <insert opposing political party> for the good of all Americans. We will all have to make some sacrifices but ultimately we will win. I will let Washington know that the American people have spoken and and they demand change to business as usual policies of the past. This is going to be a new beginning in the way government works. For the people, by the people. Amen. (I just added that last part in case you're a right wing Christian conservative you can still vote for me in good faith)
  • Reply 45 of 57
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If elected I will help with the effort to fight the <insert opposing political party> for the good of all Americans. We will all have to make some sacrifices but ultimately we will win. I will let Washington know that the American people have spoken and and they demand change to business as usual policies of the past. This is going to be a new beginning in the way government works. For the people, by the people. Amen. (I just added that last part in case you're a right wing Christian conservative you can still vote for me in good faith)

Dude, that's really good. All those words and you said nothing. You might be overqualified for any of the 637 positions in D.C.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:

No politician makes promises.

Well, they do make promises. For instance, I've definitely heard "no new taxes" before.

But let's say for argument's sake that a politician never makes a promise, just fills up the airspace with empty rhetoric to get you to buy their product.

If politicians can do that, why can't private companies like cel phone makers?
  • Reply 47 of 57
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I am not sure how anybody but the hardware manufacturers and carriers could be opposed to this. They market 4G, but this can mean a whole bunch of different things. More openness in marketing is a good thing, and applaud the effort.

I also agree some legislation should be passed to require unlocking after a contract expires.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    I disagree that the bill wouldn't be helpful. It would require the minimum network speed to be advertised. The carriers are selling me on speed, they should be able to guarantee a minimum.

Quote:

What is it with the 2.5G or 3G or 4G? It makes no sense because it is not a measurement of how fast your connection is. And what is worse is that you might not get any where near the advertised speed depending on your location. Mobile data speeds just can't be measured, hence the confusion. So no, the bill will not help anything. Your speed is going to be slow because there are more mobile users than there is mobile bandwidth capacity.

• Reply 49 of 57
    You might not like his polices because he favors us little people as opposed to big corporate interests, but Frankin is actually one of the sharpest leaders we have. He consistently looks out for the ninety nine percent. Further, when asking questions, he is sharp.

Here he is shutting down a bogus argument claiming moving to a European Health Care system would cause more bankrupts.

There is a ton of similar youtube videos which where Frankin is asking pointed questions on policies that effect regular americans (e.g. most if not all the people who post here). Unlike most politicians, he actually reads the bills elected officials are voting on.

Quote:

Here's another question:

• Reply 50 of 57
    The telcos should dedinitely have to unlock subsidised phones upon the completion of the contract, by reaching its term or by early termination with the prescribed penalties.

I think they should do so as soon as the expense of the subsidy has been recouped by the company in the form of regular monthly payments, but not the extras we pay for roaming and overages.

You could argue that the telcos should drop the monthly bill when the expense of the subsidy has been recouped, but I'm not sure that is something that should be legislated. It's definitely something we should consider when shopping for phone service

The telcos should have to sell the hardware unlocked without contract at full unsubsidised retail.

The telcos should have to provide access to their billing information where a customer or potential customer should be able to enter their usage details (minutes used, roaming, texting, data, etc) and see what their bill would be for each carrier.

Telcos should have to advertise their rates including the taxes and additional cost that always get added on the each monthly bill

I agree that there should be some standardization and consistency in what passes for wireless in the USA. I live in downtown Manhattan, which you would imagine should be one of the best covered wireless markets in the world, but every time a friend visits from overseas they always say how poor the wireless service is, between dropped calls and lack of signal. I know there are technical reasons why service isn't perfect, but surely we can use this amazing technology that we carry around to report to the telcos where the holes or inadequacys are in there coverage. This could be achieved simply by having the phones we carry around with us match the weak spots and anonymously report it with the corresponding GPS information. The telcos should be legally required to respond to this information and improve their service accordingly, or at least be made to report their own lack of response. Nothing makes you think before signing a 2 year contract like the advertising tag "we're not working to improve our service to you!" Maybe having to show a realtime map on their website showing the quality of their service.

Just my2¢

By the way, I realy like Al Franken, I think he's a very smart and funny man and I believe he genuinely cares about the interests of his constituents, and Americans in general.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    4G or an IMT-Advanced as defined by ITU-R.

- Based on an all-IP packet switched network.

- Peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access, according to the ITU requirements.

Current LTE and WiMAX implementations are considered pre-4G, as they don't fully comply with the planned requirements of 1 Gbit/s for stationary reception and 100 Mbit/s for mobile.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Wow I don't know if Telstra Australia suddenly beefed up their speeds with the launch of the iPhone 4S today or it's the iPhone 4S, my 3G tethering seems much better suddenly. Any explanations? Jarkko?

How do I know what-HSPA-what-thingy it's using exactly?

I mean, it's not super fast, only 1 or 2 mbit down, but still, nothing to sneeze at since it was below 1mbit down for the past week or so.

I have moved to a postpaid plan, that could be it too.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Oh good... the government wants to get involved... can't imagine how that could POSSIBLY go wrong. After a couple years of debating and a few hundred thousand pages and millions of tax dollars spent I am convinced they will come up with something that will be required of the carriers - which will incur extra cost for the carriers - which they will pass on to the consumers - and most everyone will choose to ignore the labels. Its the perfrect solution - everyone (except the end user) gets to collect more revenue, the naysayers can point to the labels and pound their chests and claim everything is fair now - and the rest of us can pay the additional cost and get on with our lives.

I even have a name for the bill - it could be called BOHICA. Pronounced Bow-He-Kaa. And it is an acronym for Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!
  • Reply 54 of 57
    In the era where we are billed by the MB, I'd like a detailed disclosure of network activity (which apps are making network connections and how much are they transferring? Where are the network connections to?)
  • Reply 55 of 57
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is sorely needed. T-Mobile, for example, was quite reluctant to call its HSPA+ network a 4G network and was compelled to after others did so, after the ITU caved. So now you have the situation where HSPA+ and LTE are both being called 4G when there is a clear distinction of capabilities.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:

This is what our Congress is wasting time on? Like they don't have enough serious matters on their plates, such as cutting down our extremely bloated government, making it more efficient, and reducing its burden on present and future generations?

Instead, these bozos are worrying about how 4G speeds are advertised in the cel phone industry.

Looks like three more Democrat morons are going to be out of a job soon...

Unlike every single Republican Senator voting against a bill that would have put hundreds of thousands to work, you mean? What a dunderhead!

The new and improved Republican Party; now the Party Of No Jobs!
  • Reply 57 of 57
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

<sarcasm>

When I look at all the issues that require attention in this country, this is the one that always boils to the top for me.

</sarcasm>

It's Al Franken, of "Stuart Smalley" SNL fame! What do you expect of a crackpot Minnesota politician? The state has lost touch so badly with it's choices for political representation I never went back after finishing a position that transferred me out of state.

Wellstone, Franken Ventura, Bachmann??? This is what a bunch of hardworking down to earth folks choose? It's got to be something someone put in the water as a cruel experiment that worked.