Inside Apple's iPhone 4S and its improved antenna: 'S' is for Signal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If there is no issue why would they say it has an issue? I don't get it.

Because some folks here believe that if anyone says anything negative about anything related to Apple, they must be part of the grand conspiracy being run by Microsoft and Google to discredit Apple and make them look bad.

Apple makes great products. Some of the best products I've ever had the pleasure of owning. But they aren't perfect. Nobody's products are perfect. Some folks can't accept that fact.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

No there won't because of this, the "5" will have zero meaning. It won't be 5th generation and "5" means nothing in terms of telephony, so why name something iPhone 5?

iPhone = 1st generation

iPhone 3G = 2nd gen., named after the 3G networks it can now use

iPhone 3GS = 3rd gen., "S" said to stand for speed as it was nearly identical to iPhone 3G but considerably faster

iPhone 4 = 4th gen. and named as such

iPhone 4S = 5th gen., near identical exterior design as iPhone 4 but with extensive upgrades inside such as CPU, GPU, BT, Camera, world phone, antennae...

iPhone "5" = 6th gen...so why call it "5"?

Face it, the iPhone 5 is a unicorn, big foot, Loch Ness monster... doesn't exist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the 6th generation iPhone that will have an A6 processor and ship with iOS 6 will be called the iPhone 5.

This is your belief. This.

Love the DRAMA, boys. Just LOVE IT!

But the way I see it it's like this....
    • The logic above [jmillermcp] is kinda embarrassing (don't you think?)

• The difference between the 3g and the 's' was more than speed. Perhaps not as much as the difference between the 4 and 4s, but for anyone who had both the difference was significant. The 3gs is still a usable device.

• The 4s is still a 4 (as the name implies) - even with the A5 processor

• The next iteration of the iPhone MAY have the A6 processor. It may also have an A5s for all we know. It depends when it is released. As in the previous point the processor has nothing to do with the name of the phone.

• We have no idea if the next iPhone will coincide with ios6. It may but ios5 may be around for a while.

• It may not be a full year before the next iPhone

• I may be wrong but I think the next iPhone will be called the iPhone 5. I don't think Apple necessarily follows the same kind of logic you guys do. No one out there gives a shit what the next processor is nor what iteration the os is. But they do wan't the next iPhone however and my guess is they are all waiting for the 5 and that's what they'll get

• Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

[*]We have no idea if the next iPhone will coincide with ios6.

History would punch in the face anyone who doubts it, though.

Quote:

It may not be a full year before the next iPhone

History says that's silly.

Quote:

I don't think Apple necessarily follows the same kind of logic you guys do.

Sanity? Apple doesn't follow sanity?

Then they should have called the iPhone 4 the iPhone 2. We've never had an iPhone 2, so they should have just randomly given it that name because it being the 4th generation of hardware with an A4 chip running iOS 4 just demands it be called the iPhone 2.

Quote:

that's what they'll get

Who wants a 5 when you could have a 6?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Insider

HSDPA speeds can, under the right circumstances, be comparable to some true 4G LTE networks.

True 4G, as defined by the ITU, is 100Mbps and is LTE+, not LTE.

So, the iPhone 4S does not have comparable speeds to true 4G under any circumstances and neither does any phone on the market right now.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Who wants a 5 when you could have a 6?

the only part of your argument I buy. The rest is just silliness.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

the only part of your argument I buy. The rest is just silliness.

Other than the fact that Apple has never released an iPhone less than a year later than the previous.

Other than the fact that Apple has never released an iPhone without a new number release of its operating system.

But yeah, that's all 'silliness'.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Other than the fact that Apple has never released an iPhone less than a year later than the previous.

The gap between the 4 and 4s was unusual

Quote:

Other than the fact that Apple has never released an iPhone without a new number release of its operating system.

Could be a first time - see above.

Quote:

Quote:

Then they should have called the iPhone 4 the iPhone 2. We've never had an iPhone 2, so they should have just randomly given it that name because it being the 4th generation of hardware with an A4 chip running iOS 4 just demands it be called the iPhone 2.

But yeah, that's all 'silliness'.

You took the words out my mouth
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

You took the words out my mouth

The Sarcasm Store called. Your shipment came in.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    If I had to bet real money, I'd put my money on the next iPhone being the iPhone 5. My second choice would be "something without a number." I see no good reason why it would be called iPhone 6. "3G" was a selliing point at the time. iOS6 and A6 processors are completely irrelevant. If either of those factors mattered, the iPhone 4S would have been called the iPhone 5.

My theory is that Apple is in the business of under promising and over delivering. Why would they want to try to convince consumers that the next iPhone "skips a generation" in functionality?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

The Sarcasm Store called. Your shipment came in.

Not sarcastic. I was humouring you as I think you were humouring me (and yourself). Some of your arguments were funny and very overdramatic...

Quote:

Quote:

History would punch in the face anyone who doubts it, though.

Quote:

The Drama Store called. Wondering if you were enjoying your purchase.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I see no good reason why it would be called iPhone 6.

iOS 6. A6. 6th model.

Quote:

iOS6 and A6 processors are completely irrelevant.

Oh, okay. Never mind. I thought that I was making ABSOLUTE SENSE.

Quote:

If either of those factors mattered, the iPhone 4S would have been called the iPhone 5.

And if they didn't, the iPhone 4 would have been called the iPhone 2.

Quote:

My theory is that Apple is in the business of under promising and over delivering.

And rumor sites are in the business of over promising and under delivering.

Quote:

Why would they want to try to convince consumers that the next iPhone "skips a generation" in functionality?

Should ask them why the iPhone 3G wasn't the iPhone 2, then.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

By that reckoning the next iteration should be called the 4G, or LTE. The 3G was clearly a way of signalling a new feature that everyone was talking about at the time.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

iOS 6. A6. 6th model.

Quote:

No comment
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Love the DRAMA, boys. Just LOVE IT!

But the way I see it it's like this....
    • The logic above [jmillermcp] is kinda embarrassing (don't you think?)

• The difference between the 3g and the 's' was more than speed. Perhaps not as much as the difference between the 4 and 4s, but for anyone who had both the difference was significant. The 3gs is still a usable device.

• The 4s is still a 4 (as the name implies) - even with the A5 processor

• The next iteration of the iPhone MAY have the A6 processor. It may also have an A5s for all we know. It depends when it is released. As in the previous point the processor has nothing to do with the name of the phone.

• We have no idea if the next iPhone will coincide with ios6. It may but ios5 may be around for a while.

• It may not be a full year before the next iPhone

• I may be wrong but I think the next iPhone will be called the iPhone 5. I don't think Apple necessarily follows the same kind of logic you guys do. No one out there gives a shit what the next processor is nor what iteration the os is. But they do wan't the next iPhone however and my guess is they are all waiting for the 5 and that's what they'll get

Embarrassing? Care to discredit any of it? The "S" in 3GS was for speed by Apple's own definition and other than the bump in CPU "speed", faster 3G data "speed" and a slightly larger camera, how would you classify it brainiac? I didn't say the 4S was any other than a 4 with upgraded internals just like the the 3GS wasn't any else than a 3G in exterior design. The 4 is still the iPhone's 4th generation just like the 3GS was the 3rd and the 4S is the 5th.

The only reason "they" are waiting for the 5 is because the iPhone 5 was dreamed up by the media, hyped by the media and then everyone got pissed off when the unicorn didn't appear. Funny how you say Apple doesn't follow the logic I do when it's Apple's historical fact I'm showcasing.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

So the 6th generation iPhone that will have an A6 processor and ship with iOS 6 will be called the iPhone 5.

So the 5th generation iPhone that will have an A5 processor and ship with iOS 5 will be called the iPhone 4S.

This is your belief. This

You always try to make people feel like idiots so I thought I'd return the favor.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So the 5th generation iPhone that will have an A5 processor and ship with iOS 5 will be called the iPhone 4S.

Nice job, you got a smile out of me. Doesn't happen often.

Not my belief, Apple's. I preferred the name 'iPhone 5', but 4S does describe more clearly the transition here.

Just as the 3GS was a COMPLETELY different phone save the case, the 4S is a COMPLETELY different phone… save the case.

We didn't have an iPhone 2. So you'd've been okay with Apple calling the 3GS the iPhone 2? After 3G? That's basically the argument here. I realize the implication of the numbering is slightly different, but it's the same argument.

I see iPhone 4G as a name to be just as valid as iPhone 6 for the next model. I don't see iPhone 5 ever, just as I didn't see iPhone 2 ever happening past the introduction of the 3G name.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

The only reason "they" are waiting for the 5 is because the iPhone 5 was dreamed up by the media, hyped by the media and then everyone got pissed off when the unicorn didn't appear. Funny how you say Apple doesn't follow the logic I do when it's Apple's historical fact I'm showcasing.

No, the only reason we are waiting for the 5 is that 5 follows 4.

But Apple will do what Apple does and really, I don't much care. I am guessing the next phone will feature curved glass and be much lighter than the 4s. Thinness and size matters less now IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You always try to make people feel like idiots so I thought I'd return the favor.

Point well made. TS likes to belittle people though I am not easily belittled. He usually has good points but it is his (shared by many others here) absolute certainty that they are right that let's him down. Everybody knows nobody knows. But the brinkmanship can be entertaining untill it gets boring.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If there is no issue why would they say it has an issue? I don't get it.

They improved the antenna design for a reason.

Apple has *changed* the antenna design.

We'll see if it's an improvement.

I hope so, I'm ready for an upgrade and to switch carrier.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    That's indeed awesome...

IpHone 4:

iPhone 4[S] :