Steve Jobs described as romantic teen in Rolling Stone magazine feature

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Rolling Stone magazine in a forthcoming feature describes personas of the late Steve Jobs widely unknown to the public, including his ?almost 100 percent romantic? teen years.

Chrisann Brennan, Jobs? first serious girlfriend, is the author of the essay in which she recollects various instances of the tumultuous relationship she had with the man that was about to create Apple, The Associated Press reports.

The two met in 1972 while attending the Cupertino Homestead High School and their relationship lasted until 1978 when their daughter, Lisa Brennan-Jobs, was born.

Brennan, a high school junior at the time she met Jobs, was impressed with his personality and charisma. ?This guy could make things work. And from the way he?d taken charge of the situation, I knew he knew it too,? she writes. They moved in together in summer 1972 after Apple?s future co-founder personally persuaded the owner of a cabin to rent them a space that was unsuitable for a couple.

The 17-year-old Jobs is described as a hopeless romantic, taking special interest in Bob Dylan music, poetry and the arts. Brennan also tells the story of how the couple, joined by a roommate named Al and Steve Wozniak, used to play ?Alice in Wonderland? characters in a Santa Clara mall. Brennan would play Alice while the men would take turns playing the Mad Hatter and White Rabbit due to the excessively hot costumes that included ?knee-length giant heads.?

Jobs' passion for Bob Dylan lyrics, which he?d edit on an electric typewriter, may have given him a sense of comfort, suggests Brennan. She admits she wasn?t impressed at the time by Jobs' creativity. "Only now do I see what he was trying to do,? she writes in retrospect. ?He was a loner and he didn't talk much, and I think he used Dylan's songs to make sense of the world."

For Brennan, however, her memories of Jobs are not all fond ones, as their relationship inevitably depreciated. In time, Jobs turned into an ?all-too-often despotic jerk,? she recalls. He also denied that he was the father of Lisa for two years after she was born, during which time he was already managing Apple. One of the computers the company sold during the early 1980s was called the Lisa after Jobs? daughter.

The Rolling Stone edition featuring Brennan?s essay will hit newsstands on Friday. Alongside her piece, the publication also offers readers a cover story by Jeff Goodell, which describes Jobs? management style adopted at Apple. Some of the memories shared by Brennan are also detailed in the 1999 TV docudrama ?Pirates of Silicon Valley? in which Jobs is played by Noah Wyle.

Further exploring Jobs' personality and management style, the Oct. 17 issue of Time magazine also features extensive coverage on Apple?s co-founder written in part by Walter Isaacson, the author of Jobs? authorized biography. The 448-page book entitled simply "Steve Jobs" will be published on Oct. 24.

Steve Jobs passed away on Oct. 5 after a long bout with cancer, a day after the company unveiled the iPhone 4S and six weeks after he tendered his resignation as CEO of Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Kind of cold to throw the daughter to welfare. By then SJ was stinking rich. Hopefully he repaired the relationship.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It did take a while, but he eventually admitted paternity, she lived with him for a time, and he paid her way through Harvard.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

.......joined by a roommate named Al and Steve Wozniak,

I stared at that for a second trying to figure out what kind of name "Al and Steve Wozniak" was.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Hey I thought LISA the computer was an acronym for something ?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

For Brennan, however, her memories of Jobs are not all fond ones, as their relationship inevitably depreciated. In time, Jobs turned into an ?all-too-often despotic jerk,? she recalls.

Sounds like a bit of a cold bitch, for using this language against him days after his death. Have some fucking class. He's already dead, and you're alive, no need to spit on his grave.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Sounds like a bit of a cold bitch, for using this language against him days after his death. Have some fucking class. He's already dead, and you're alive, no need to spit on his grave.

Yeah...I have read numerous books on Steve Jobs and the one thing people tend to forget is his loyalty. He may have told you your ideas were stupid, but you knew where you stood with him. Some people couldn't take it. Some could. Either way, he was always loyal to his friends, until they stabbed him in the back. Then get out of the way. I am sure her relationship with Steve was much more complicated they we know.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I can't seem to find Rolling Stone Magazine in the new Newstand App, oh well I guess I'll make do with this synopsis.

Thanks AI.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I can't seem to find Rolling Stone Magazine in the new Newstand App, oh well I guess I'll make do with this synopsis.

Thanks AI.

Yup. Newsstand selection is pretty bad at the moment. I want to subscribe to some Mac magazine but no joy. Also hope I could get Ameican Cinematigrapher, no luck either.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

what, he got her pregnant then denied it for 2 years. he treated her like crap and she is supposed to have all super-nice things to say?

she wasn't giving a eulogy.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Young Steve resembles Ashton Kutcher: http://cheezburger.com/View/1345309440

70's show hippie influence doesn't hurt either!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Young Steve resembles Ashton Kutcher: http://cheezburger.com/View/1345309440

70's show hippie influence doesn't hurt either!

he looks like steve's dumb brother.