Samsung lawyer couldn't tell iPad and Galaxy Tab apart from 10 feet away

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
When asked by a judge in a California courtroom to tell the difference between a Samsung Galaxy Tab and an Apple iPad held side-by-side 10 feet away, an attorney for Samsung couldn't do it.

U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh this week held both a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and iPad above her head, and asked Kathleen Sullivan, a lawyer representing Samsung, to identify what company made which. According to Reuters, she could not do it from a distance of about 10 feet.

"Not at this distance, your honor," she reportedly said. Koh then asked if any of Samsung's lawyers could identify which tablet was made by Apple and which was made by Samsung. Another lawyer supplied the correct answer "moments later."

Koh asked for the attorneys to distinguish between the two devices after she repeatedly commented on the similarity between each company's tablets. The judge has yet to rule on Apple's request to bar some of Samsung's products from being sold in the U.S.

However, the judge did say that Samsung's Galaxy-branded tablets do infringe on some of Apple's iPad-related patents. Apple must still prove to the court that its patents are valid under the law.

Koh also tentatively said she would not grant Apple an injunction based on one "utility" patent the company has accused Samsung of infringing upon. She has not given an opinion on three-other design-related patents, but promised a formal order will come "fairly promptly."

The latest turn in Apple's push to have the Samsung Galaxy Tab line barred from sale in the U.S. comes just after Apple won an injunction in Australia, earning a preliminary ban on sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The same device has also been blocked in Germany.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 194
  • Reply 2 of 194
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Wow! I can't even make this stuff up.
  • Reply 3 of 194
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Ha ha ha.

J.
  • Reply 4 of 194
    While a ban on selling Galaxy pads would be brutal for Samsung, the sting felt as Apple slowly withdraws from every contract with them will hurt even more.
  • Reply 5 of 194
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    I think this whole lawsuit is just a warning shot to Samsung. They obviously copy the style, which, no coincidentally, is what most of Apple's and Steve's patents are for: design.

They must have been off because Android does not look like iOS.
  • Reply 6 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

While a ban on selling Galaxy pads would be brutal for Samsung, the sting felt as Apple slowly withdraws from every contract with them will hurt even more.

Why in the world would you think this?

Don't you think the forward thinking apple has thought of the pros and cons?

I think Samsung will be the one hurting due to the bans and the possibility of losing apple as a client.

"Just follow the money"
  • Reply 7 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

I think Samsung will be the one hurting due to the bans and the possibility of losing apple as a client.

"Just follow the money"

Isn't that what he just said?
  • Reply 8 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

"Just follow the money"

You're probably going to want to reread his post.
  • Reply 9 of 194
    This is really getting stupid.
  • Reply 10 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh this week held both a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and iPad above her head, and asked Kathleen Sullivan, a lawyer representing Samsung, to identify what company made which. According to Reuters, she could not do it from a distance of about 10 feet.

"Not at this distance, your honor," she reportedly said.

lmao. that's pathetic.
  • Reply 11 of 194
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 12 of 194
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Apple now have to prove their patents are valid. I would bet that is not a foregone conclusion by any stretch.
  • Reply 13 of 194
    hahahaha OH SNAP!!!

Epic Fail!!!! That dude career is over..... and he kind of deserve it for been unprepared...

• Reply 14 of 194
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Whatever... They look different from the back since the iPad has an Apple logo on it. That is the part that has the value. People who want a Galaxy tab aren't Apple's type of customer anyway. I think the blatant knock offs like the ones in China a far more damaging to the brand since they actually put an Apple logo on it. One of my Chinese friends told me about a fake iPhone her husband bought. You couldn't let it touch your face while on a call since it didn't have a proximity sensor and would hang up the call if you touch it.
  • Reply 15 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever... They look different from the back since the iPad has an Apple logo on it. That is the part that has the value. People who want a Galaxy tab aren't Apple's type of customer anyway. I think the blatant knock offs like the ones in China a far more damaging to the brand since they actually put an Apple logo on it. One of my Chinese friends told me about a fake iPhone her husband bought. You couldn't let it touch your face while on a call since it didn't have a proximity sensor and would hang up the call if you touch it.

lol my cousin bought one of those fake iPhones in NYC.

which is super odd because he had the iPhone before that (and broke it)
  • Reply 16 of 194
    This lawyer should have at least guessed. She had a 50/50 shot haha.
  • Reply 17 of 194
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The fact that she did that experiment at all, shows she thinks that it's a copy (of the iPad). That's a pretty big hint what the verdict will be.
  • Reply 18 of 194
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

This lawyer should have at least guessed. She had a 50/50 shot haha.

They both looked like Samsung Galaxy Tabs.
  • Reply 19 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The fact that she did that experiment at all, shows she thinks that it's a copy (of the iPad). That's a pretty big hint what the verdict will be.

I tend to agree with you.
  • Reply 20 of 194
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    All this proves is that the samsung lawyer is an idiot. The aspect ratio is different between the two devices and this should be obvious at 30+ feet to anyone that isn't blind