Steve Jobs memorial to be held this Sunday att Stanford University

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    One doesn't learn wilderness survival skills from mom's basement.

• Reply 22 of 88
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I guess you are one of the people who never learned how to create a fire without matches or lighter. Natural selection is apparently not working at the moment. When you are stranded in the wilderness please wait for a lightning strike to start your camp fire.

or you can "make water" as they used to say in the past (pee, urinate)

when stranded in the wilderness please wait for a rain shower to fill your canteen
  • Reply 23 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You forgot the New Balance sneakers.

For most people, it'll probably be too expensive to replicate his style exactly. The black mock turtleneck is around $175. He most likely wore made in the US Levis, those are around $200. The New Balance sneakers probably aren't that expensive though.

Levis are no longer made in the USA
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

One doesn't learn wilderness survival skills from mom's basement.

you don't realize what can grow in a basement that receives no light and is amply fed by stale pizza crusts and ten years of sloughed off skin

a veritable wilderness of predators await should one leave the computer seat

but you're probably right, leaving that seat probably doesn't happen, so no wilderness encountered and no skills are developed
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:

but are they designed in the USA?
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:

You are wrong.

You can buy premium "made in USA" Levi's from www.levis.com today. They are indeed about $200 per pair (as mentioned earlier). They are sewn in a North Carolina mill.

Regular/imported Levi's jeans are far less.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Sure they are.

For 99.7% of people buying Levis, they buy the ones not made in the USA.

But there are certain ones that are made in the USA.

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11326985
  • Reply 28 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sure they are.

For 99.7% of people buying Levis, they buy the ones not made in the USA.

But there are certain ones that are made in the USA.

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11326985

Ok I will look into it since I have a flagship Levi store less than a mile from my house. I do recall reading an article several years ago that stated that Levi had closed their last US factory but I am pleased if indeed the manufacturing is beginning to return to the US.

Personally i am discouraged with the recent quality of levis since they went to 5 belt loops and the stitching in the crotch area is too over stitched which wears out very quickly. I have always tried to take care of my 501s by only washing in cold water and never putting them in the dryer, instead I line dry them. They aren't as soft when line dried but they last longer and don't fade as much.

I always buy the shrink to fit version.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:

Good to know but for me it doesn't even rate as high valentines day or boxing day. Don't even get me started on Christmas or Easter.

Samhain is a great holiday representing the honoring of Fall Harvest and the end of the year historically throughout Northern European History.

Valentine's Day is an absolute joke.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:

Ok I will look into it since I have a flagship Levi store less than a mile from my house. I do recall reading an article several years ago that stated that Levi had closed their last US factory but I am pleased if indeed the manufacturing is beginning to return to the US.

Personally i am discouraged with the recent quaily of levis since they went to 5 belt loops and the stitching in the crotch area is too over stitched which wears out very quickly. I have always tried to take care of my 501s by only washing in cold water and never putting them in the dryer, instead I line dry them. They aren't as soft when line dried but they last longer and don't fade as much.

I always buy the shrink to fit version.

You are absolutely right in being disappointed in current Levi's quality; they shut down their U.S. factories in the 90s.

I doubt if you can buy the "made in USA" Levi's at the local bricks-and-mortar shop. Those retail employees probably won't know anything about the premium stuff available online.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Maybe it could be a reverse national holiday

Jobs Day:

a day when everybody pays tribute to the model that Steve was and works as hard as they can to produce something lasting. Just one day out of the year, when instead of dreaming about getting out of working to sit on the coach, we carpe diem and unleash our potential to its fullest.

That would be more the type holiday that would honor Mr Steve Jobs.

Love that.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    wow. lot's of trolls and steve haters on here.

the world lost an amazing visionary. he was a giant among his peers in my lifetime. his vision changed the way we interact and perceive the world.

if it wasn't for steve jobs, we'd all be on windows, with beige computers, and still using crt's; having to walk away from our monitors (crt's used to make me sleepy); still lugging 10lb laptops around; still be using disks for backup. i'm not saying he invented these things, but he had the vision and (more importantly) the will to make them better.

the world has lost an amazing man. this is one way we can deal with the loss.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

There should be a national holiday 5 october all years.

Make it on his birthday, not his death day.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Sacramento resisted the Mac computer. Most IT depts were PC idiots. I worked for the state for 38 years. Got on of the first macs and never looked back. In my dept, when I retired (2009 )I was using a circa 1998 G3. It still ran great, never crashed. They had to replace just about every PC at least every 3 years and they still had crashes etc.

When someone got a file they could read, they would bring it to me to translate..

Another example of think of how much money the state could have saved if they had used Macs in many departments?
  • Reply 35 of 88
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nenebird View Post

Sacramento resisted the Mac computer. Most IT depts were PC idiots. I worked for the state for 38 years. Got on of the first macs and never looked back. In my dept, when I retired (2009 )I was using a circa 1998 G3. It still ran great, never crashed. They had to replace just about every PC at least every 3 years and they still had crashes etc.

When someone got a file they could read, they would bring it to me to translate..

Another example of think of how much money the state could have saved if they had used Macs in many departments?

Yo, good story.

I'm glad we have a governor that gets it.

Steve's accomplishment was to humanize the computer.

Someone once did that with fire, which was out there already, only needed storing, portability, manufacture. Steve did that with fire, only it was mental fire, the electronic difference engine, the computer.

He also combined the computer with the wheel, as in "bicycle for the mind," meaning a human-scaled, low-footprint vehicle for the mind. A rideable computer, a portable, traveling one.

Language "jes' grew," wasn't really invented by any one person, but sprung from the group and family, passed from mother and father downward and outward. Gutenberg made a suitcase, not a bicycle, for the mind, using language.

Steve wanted to make a clean machine for the world, like Ford in a way, but he, Ford, left out the curves and tactile design; that was done by Porsche, who was the first to humanize the car with the Volkswagen and the early Porsches.

The computer is about amplifying language, like the book, but it can animate and manufacture, as well as spread and broadcast. Jobs's bicycle has become (intentionally) everybody's own TV network, much more influential a vehicle than any thing on wheels.

Right up there with Gutenberg, combined with Aldus Manutius, the one who scaled down the book into coat pocket and saddlebag size.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    It would be nice if they would include Dennis Ritchie who just died. As the Inventor of Unix you might call him the grandpa of OSX.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15287391
  • Reply 37 of 88
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:

I guess you are one of the people who never learned how to create a fire without matches or lighter. Natural selection is apparently not working at the moment. When you are stranded in the wilderness please wait for a lightning strike to start your camp fire.

You are seriously arguing that fire didn't exist until people invented it? So next you're going to tell me that nuclear fusion didn't exist before people invented it. I guess the Sun is powered by magic.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

wow. lot's of trolls and steve haters on here.

the world lost an amazing visionary. he was a giant among his peers in my lifetime. his vision changed the way we interact and perceive the world.

if it wasn't for steve jobs, we'd all be on windows, with beige computers, and still using crt's; having to walk away from our monitors (crt's used to make me sleepy); still lugging 10lb laptops around; still be using disks for backup. i'm not saying he invented these things, but he had the vision and (more importantly) the will to make them better.

the world has lost an amazing man. this is one way we can deal with the loss.

This may be the only thread with no naysayers so why so defensive?

Also as great as Steve was you give him a bit too much credit.

That's like me saying "without Abraham Lincoln I'd still be a slave."

You're practically saying that Mr. Jobs is responsible for the optimization of technology over the past 30 years.

That he invented more practical storage media, that he invented more efficient monitors, that he invented better, lighter, more efficient batteries, and that he invented better building materials. He did none of that. He was a visionary. He saw in the clay a beautiful vase. But he didn't invent clay.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walney View Post

So what you are saying is that you prefer them mstone-washed?