Nicely put!

For Steve.

I tried...
  • Reply 62 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

well he did create apple

and wasn't it the apple that was involved in discovery of gravity

and gravity was essential in getting sticks to remain weighted down in a pile so that they could burn

and wasn't gravity needed for the wheel to gain speed down a hill enabling people to both escape enemies and enjoy thrills

and both of those led to the need for language to express your joy at being alive

so with out steve there would be no apple, no gravity, no fire, no wheel, no language and most importantly no joy in being alive

I thought JPGR invented apple.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Make it on his birthday, not his death day.

W could make it the following Sunday, like Easter.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Steve's accomplishment was to humanize the computer.

Someone once did that with fire, which was out there already, only needed storing, portability, manufacture. Steve did that with fire, only it was mental fire, the electronic difference engine, the computer.

He also combined the computer with the wheel, as in "bicycle for the mind," meaning a human-scaled, low-footprint vehicle for the mind. A rideable computer, a portable, traveling one.

Gutenberg made a suitcase, not a bicycle, for the mind, using language.

Steve wanted to make a clean machine for the world, ...Porsche, who was the first to humanize the car with the Volkswagen and the early Porsches.

The computer is about amplifying language, like the book, but it can animate and manufacture, as well as spread and broadcast. Jobs's bicycle has become (intentionally) everybody's own TV network, much more influential a vehicle than any thing on wheels.

Steve's fire is food. roasted and sauted for nutritious and tasty snacking! Globs of sugary sweet vitamins, minerals and steroids for the brain!

Like the wheel, Apple will keep rolling, and once the living room has been fully nestled under its protective wing, Apple be as ubiquitous as the most primitive of microwave ovens, using supernatural forces to strike flint and steel. Anywhere.

Ancient Magic of Impossible Technology, like a goat's intestine sealed to hold water. The sustinence of the Apple brazier is second only to the inclined plane!

But on one thing we agree: Gutenburg's mind needs a bicycle to carry that suitcase! Couldn't have said it better!
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

too many people don't know what our ancestors knew, how to create fire. Day hikes often become an unexpected night out due to weather changes, getting lost, injury, etc. It's not hard to learn how to make fire, but takes some knowledge and a fair bit of practice. And can save your life, so it's well worth knowing. It can even be valuable in urban survival scenarios.

Better to simply carry your iPhone. Thanks Steve!
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

I thought JPGR invented apple.

Not anymore. It hasn't been that way for years. Not since iTunes.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Growing up in PA and seeing him and Woz at the first West Coast Computer Faire... my mentors... the biggest tears will flow when Apple stops the memorial on the home page... since I was 12 he was the aspiration... I just can't wrap my head around a world without him
  • Reply 68 of 88
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The black mock turtleneck is around $175.

No idea where you get that number from, but whatever. It's from Issey Miyake, a bit more expensive than that.

Here are two articles on the black turtleneck:

How Steve Jobs fell in love with the black turtleneck (Walter Isaacson talks with Steve)

Steve Jobs' black turtleneck reportedly explained in biography (LA Times)
  • Reply 69 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No idea where you get that number from, but whatever. It's from Issey Miyake, a bit more expensive than that.

Supposedly, Steve also used another brand called St. Croix and that's where the figure came from.

http://fashionista.com/2011/10/steve...ease-in-sales/
  • Reply 70 of 88
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

Dear Steve,

You have taught me so much about life.

1. Have a vision and a purpose.

2. Go after that vision and purpose.

3. Don?t be afraid of other people when they get in the way of your vision and purpose.

4. Work hard and long, and when that is not enough, work harder.

5. Confront people when appropriate. It makes magic happen.

6. Make sure that the work produced is beautiful.

7. Make sure that the work produced is functional.

8. Don?t be afraid to start over.

Your friend,

Sim

This.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

There is no denying the affect that Steve Jobs had on the tech industry. Personally, I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he accomplished in his too brief career.

However, without a doubt, "Steve Jobs Day" is stupid beyond belief and there is no question in my mind that Mr. Jobs himself, would not approve.

-kpluck

There are millions of people on this planet who celebrate the birth and lives of prophets and gods who never existed. I think it represents a step in the right direction when we celebrate a real human being who exhibited a few virtues (even if only a few) that we aspire to ourselves. I don't want to worship. I want to admire. I don't want to be on my knees. I want to stand and look up. I don't know or care about the rest of his life, but I do care that there was someone who had a purpose and acted on it. Is he the only one? No. But the purpose is to recognize the virtue. We have enough saints on our calender telling us the highest virtue is to sacrifice reason and our lives to something else. We have very few heroes on that same calender who remind me that life is also worth living, too, for its own sake. I don't want a statue to worship, I don't want a chant. I want that simple, raw, sincere admiration that doesn't elevate a man above his accomplishment. I suppose if people want to worship Lord Steve on that day, then yeah, they've missed the point.

As for whether Jobs would approve...who cares? I'm not interested in the particularities of his personal code. Tributes are not for the people who are dead...what use have they for it? It's for the people who want to have a reason to remember what is important to them. Purpose and action are important to me. Paying tribute to a dead man is for the religious. To me, the purpose of remembering someone is not to worship, but to remind myself of what I aspire to in my own life. If that makes me better at what I do...I think people who exhibit purpose, passion, clarity of vision, and act on it, will all appreciate it. My calender is inundated with the celebration of religious mythology...I could do with a few more real human beings who, while not being perfect, will continue to remind me of areas in my life I want to improve. Am I going to light candles? No. But I'll have the subtlest tweak of a smile in the corner of my mouth, and I'll think about my own passion. That, to me, is worth it.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Legit 501s. Legit $25. From a store.

Legit 501s. Legit $25. Made in Colombia. Or Mexico. Or China. Or Cambodia. Or Brazil. That's not what we're talking about. If I'm wrong and yours are made in the USA, then send proof.

Like this:

• Reply 73 of 88
    I know that they set Sunday for Steve Jobs Day in California but there was already a Steve Jobs Day on Friday October 14. You can find out more by going to:

http://www.stevejobsday2011.com
  • Reply 74 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Legit 501s. Legit $25. Made in Colombia. Or Mexico. Or China. Or Cambodia. Or Brazil. That's not what we're talking about. If I'm wrong and yours are made in the USA, then send proof.

I'm? sorry, have I offended you or something?

I'm relating an experience from my life and all you can do is say "post proof; even if it says Levi's on it, that doesn't mean a thing"?

This isn't an Apple product rumor. This isn't me claiming to have an iPad 3 already.

These are jeans.

I'm not gonna dig my jeans out and go through them all; it's not winter yet. If I remember this months down the road, I'll come back with a PICTURE OF MY PANTS, I suppose.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm? sorry, have I offended you or something?

I'm relating an experience from my life and all you can do is say "post proof; even if it says Levi's on it, that doesn't mean a thing"?

This isn't an Apple product rumor. This isn't me claiming to have an iPad 3 already.

These are jeans.

I'm not gonna dig my jeans out and go through them all; it's not winter yet. If I remember this months down the road, I'll come back with a PICTURE OF MY PANTS, I suppose.

There are reasons why I like you Skil...this post is one of them. lol
  • Reply 76 of 88
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You forgot the New Balance sneakers.

For most people, it'll probably be too expensive to replicate his style exactly. The black mock turtleneck is around $175. He most likely wore made in the US Levis, those are around $200. The New Balance sneakers probably aren't that expensive though.

New Balance Sneakers, Proudly Made in Maine. Maybe that's why Maine was the first in the US with the Laptop program

Steve felt a state that made sneakers this great, could only grow if it was to have access to the world via Apple computers.

Hey, just typing and thinking out loud (and kidding on this).

Skip
  • Reply 77 of 88
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Here are two articles on the black turtleneck:

How Steve Jobs fell in love with the black turtleneck (Walter Isaacson talks with Steve)

Steve Jobs' black turtleneck reportedly explained in biography (LA Times)

That whole story is just bizarre. He wanted a signature look for himself? He hired a designer to manufacture one for him? WTF?

How much more weird shit will there be in the bio?
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

New Balance Sneakers, Proudly Made in Maine.

Skip

The vast majority of New Balance sneakers are made outside the US. Like, pretty much all of them.

And if Steve was serious about what you claim, his best bet would have been to put an Apple factory in Maine. But he didn't, because maximum profits were much more important.

Hey - there's plenty of good stuff about Steve. Making up weird stories about "Made in the USA" is like totally unnecessary.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Looks like the residents of California have elected a governor that loves to spend money that the state doesn't have.

For a state that doesn't have any money, it seems that any governor would fit that description.