FaceTime can't call iChat!?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apparently FaceTime on iPad/iphone can not videochat to iChat? WTF? I had assumed it would. I'm not making everyone I know cough up a dollar for the FaceTime app. Am I missing something I hope? Is there a way to make it work with iChat?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    No, they're completely different. It doesn't work like that.

FaceTime is free, not $1.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Facetime isn't free and if your friends can't cough up a buck when you've coughed up at least $200 for the phone and probably $75 a month to use it, then they clearly can't talk to you. Most people will spend more than that at Redbox or for a soda on the way home. A dollar is cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Facetime isn't free

With Lion it is. If they're not updating to Lion, they have more problems than not using FaceTime.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

With Lion it is. If they're not updating to Lion, they have more problems than not using FaceTime.

Not all my friends and family have new Macs with Lion. Some have PCs, and others I don't want to have to fuss with iTunes and buying FaceTime.

Why should it not work with iChat? It's the same exact thing right?

I'll have to use Skype. Everyone I know used to always be on AIM. Now everyone is on FaceBook and now people on FaceBook can directly videochat to Skype, or so I've read. I don't get why Apple didn't heavily coordinate with FaceBook, both for videochat interoperability and instead of friggin Ping. You'd think Zuck pissed in Steve's Cheerios or something.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Some have PCs

Then they can't use iChat or FaceTime, anyway.

Quote:

and others I don't want to have to fuss with iTunes and buying FaceTime.

Which you don't have to do? FaceTime is in the Mac App Store?

Quote:

It's the same exact thing right?

Not in the least.

Quote:

I don't get why Apple didn't heavily coordinate with FaceBook

Because Facebook is absolutely terrible and Zuckerberg has no respect for any of his users.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Doesn't iChat still work with videochat to AIM? And yes Zuckerberg is a douche, but like it or not (I don't) FaceBook rules the Internets. Everyone's on it that I know, everyone. But again, not everyone has a new Mac with FaceTime or Lion. Oh well. LIke I said, think Skype will get the job done. I have a feeling the quality of video just won't be as good. i used Skype once years ago and it seemed inferior to iChat's video quality. Perhaps that's changed.

In an mostly unrelated note I wanted to note the free MagicJack app makes calls to others for FREE over WIfi. Works perfectly, just pop it open and call, no registering required. Just thought I'd mention this somewhere as a sidenote.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Doesn't iChat still work with videochat to AIM?

Sure does.

Quote:

LIke I said, think Skype will get the job done.

Download 2.8, nothing newer.