Steve Jobs memorial to be held this Sunday att Stanford University

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm… sorry, have I offended you or something?

I'm relating an experience from my life and all you can do is say "post proof; even if it says Levi's on it, that doesn't mean a thing"?

This isn't an Apple product rumor. This isn't me claiming to have an iPad 3 already.

These are jeans.

I'm not gonna dig my jeans out and go through them all; it's not winter yet. If I remember this months down the road, I'll come back with a PICTURE OF MY PANTS, I suppose.

This is what you said...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pshh. Who buys from the manufacturer?

MSRP is for suckers. The "99%" crowd is the 75% who are too stupid to go bargain hunting so they just don't buy stuff. And then there's the 5% who do buy from Levi.

I got myself a pair of 501s for my presentation outfit and I paid $25. Legit 501s. Legit $25. From a store.

You're absolutely right; nearly $200 for a single article of clothing is abject nonsense. Heaven's sake.

So you didn't even pay enough attention to know that with the $178 price, they were talking specifically about MADE IN THE USA Levis. No, you can't get them for $25, so your post made no sense.

Next thing you know you'll laugh at people who buy a USA Strat, instead of a Mexican one.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Steve has over 310 patent. Bill Gates 6. Larry Page 12.

How many Da Vinci had?
  • Reply 83 of 88
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    If you guys could be distracted for a minute from the main topic here of Steve's wardrobe, here is some of what Jerry Brown said about the reason for an observance (I had to chase it down from The Daily Mail):

"His innovations transformed an industry, and the products he conceived and shepherded to market have changed the way the entire world communicates.

"Most importantly, his vision helped put powerful technologies, once the exclusive domain of big business and government, in the hands of ordinary consumers.

"We have only just begun to see the outpouring of creativity and invention that this democratization of technology has made possible.

"It is fitting that we mark this day to honour his life and achievements as a uniquely Californian visionary. He epitomized the spirit of a state that an eager world watches to see what will come next."

The obligatory California puffery aside, it is the second-to-last paragraph that shows how Jerry Brown gets it. "We have only just begun to see the outpouring of creativity . . . "

Jobs's and Apple's business was mind amplification and consciousness expansion. This can't be said about any of the others he has been compared with, Ford, Disney, Edison, not even Gutenberg, but maybe good ol' Aldus Manutius, my closest analog.

This is an epochal turning point in human history because of Jobs and, it must be said, other computer visionaries. Jobs was the heroic best at it, and we're so at the beginning that only a few seem to get it.

End of rant, back to the Levis and the private label shirts.

Edit: Don't know if others linked to this, the best little story about the merely (and greatly) human side of Steve Jobs, linked to by Gruber, in case you missed it last week:

http://blog.pluckytree.org/2011/10/l...teve-jobs.html

Update: And buried in the comments to the above story, I found a link to ANOTHER greatest of all Steve Jobs stories, about the photographer Jeffrey Aaronson who took the original Newsweek Steve-leaning-on-the-Macintosh picture, and many others, by his wife, not to be missed.

http://animprobablelife.com/tag/steve-jobs/
  • Reply 84 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

How many Da Vinci had?

Not nearly as many as Archimedes or Euler.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

There are millions of people on this planet who celebrate the birth and lives of prophets and gods who never existed. I think it represents a step in the right direction when we celebrate a real human being who exhibited a few virtues (even if only a few) that we aspire to ourselves. I don't want to worship. I want to admire. I don't want to be on my knees. I want to stand and look up. I don't know or care about the rest of his life, but I do care that there was someone who had a purpose and acted on it. Is he the only one? No. But the purpose is to recognize the virtue. We have enough saints on our calender telling us the highest virtue is to sacrifice reason and our lives to something else. We have very few heroes on that same calender who remind me that life is also worth living, too, for its own sake. I don't want a statue to worship, I don't want a chant. I want that simple, raw, sincere admiration that doesn't elevate a man above his accomplishment. I suppose if people want to worship Lord Steve on that day, then yeah, they've missed the point.

As for whether Jobs would approve...who cares? I'm not interested in the particularities of his personal code. Tributes are not for the people who are dead...what use have they for it? It's for the people who want to have a reason to remember what is important to them. Purpose and action are important to me. Paying tribute to a dead man is for the religious. To me, the purpose of remembering someone is not to worship, but to remind myself of what I aspire to in my own life. If that makes me better at what I do...I think people who exhibit purpose, passion, clarity of vision, and act on it, will all appreciate it. My calender is inundated with the celebration of religious mythology...I could do with a few more real human beings who, while not being perfect, will continue to remind me of areas in my life I want to improve. Am I going to light candles? No. But I'll have the subtlest tweak of a smile in the corner of my mouth, and I'll think about my own passion. That, to me, is worth it.

One of the best posts I've ever read. Agree completely.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

There are millions of people on this planet who celebrate the birth and lives of prophets and gods who never existed. I think it represents a step in the right direction when we celebrate a real human being who exhibited a few virtues (even if only a few) that we aspire to ourselves. I don't want to worship. I want to admire. I don't want to be on my knees. I want to stand and look up. I don't know or care about the rest of his life, but I do care that there was someone who had a purpose and acted on it. Is he the only one? No. But the purpose is to recognize the virtue. We have enough saints on our calender telling us the highest virtue is to sacrifice reason and our lives to something else. We have very few heroes on that same calender who remind me that life is also worth living, too, for its own sake. I don't want a statue to worship, I don't want a chant. I want that simple, raw, sincere admiration that doesn't elevate a man above his accomplishment. I suppose if people want to worship Lord Steve on that day, then yeah, they've missed the point.

As for whether Jobs would approve...who cares? I'm not interested in the particularities of his personal code. Tributes are not for the people who are dead...what use have they for it? It's for the people who want to have a reason to remember what is important to them. Purpose and action are important to me. Paying tribute to a dead man is for the religious. To me, the purpose of remembering someone is not to worship, but to remind myself of what I aspire to in my own life. If that makes me better at what I do...I think people who exhibit purpose, passion, clarity of vision, and act on it, will all appreciate it. My calender is inundated with the celebration of religious mythology...I could do with a few more real human beings who, while not being perfect, will continue to remind me of areas in my life I want to improve. Am I going to light candles? No. But I'll have the subtlest tweak of a smile in the corner of my mouth, and I'll think about my own passion. That, to me, is worth it.

Good post. Problem with celebrating real people is they often get somewhat deified post mortem.

I'm not sure if anyone here has read Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card but I feel people should be remembered as they were and not some redacted version of themselves. Steve's story is a real human story.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Supposedly, Steve also used another brand called St. Croix and that's where the figure came from.

http://fashionista.com/2011/10/steve...ease-in-sales/

Oops! Reading back my post I was a bit...blunt - sorry 'bout that.

Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 88 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Oops! Reading back my post I was a bit...blunt - sorry 'bout that.

Thanks for the link!

Actually, St. Croix has admitted that to their knowledge, they never actually sold a single shirt to Steve. The shirts are exclusively from Issey Miyake.