Apple's 2012 iPhone was last project where Steve Jobs was "intimately involved"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A complete redesign of Apple's iconic iPhone rumored for an introduction next summer was the last project that Steve Jobs poured his heart and soul into from start to near completion, according to pair of reports.

Expected to debut "around Apple's Developer's Conference in summer," the next-generation iPhone will combine a slimmer profile and larger screen into an enclosure relatively the same width and height as the existing models, according to Rodman & Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar.

"This was the last project that Steve Jobs was intimately involved from concept to final design," he said. "For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

Separately, an Apple employee speaking on the condition of anonymity claimed that the next handset was a complete redesign. "This is a very large project that Steve dedicated all of his time to," that person said. "He was not that involved in the 4S because his time was limited."

Nevertheless, Kumar expects the combination of the iPhone 4 and earlier model to combine for sales of 20.2 million units during Apple's fiscal fourth quarter ending September. That would put the Cupertino-based company just marginally shy of its record 20.34 million units shipped during the previous quarter.

"Repositioning the current iPhone 4 at the low-end and offering the iPhone 3GS free could help Apple gain market share at the low-end," he explained. "Apple is expected to exit the year with high teens smartphone share."

The analyst also expects Apple to shatter both quarters of iPhone performance during the company's fiscal first quarter ending December, predicting record shipments of 27 million units. In total, he expects Apple to sell more than 115 million iPhones between now and this time next year.

Kumar, who has a hit or miss (2) track record when it comes to predicting Apple's future product initiatives, added that he sees plenty of upside to his estimates for volume growth, especially during the holiday quarter given an international expansion of the iPhone 4S to 70 countries and woes faced by its competitors.

For instance, he noted that Samsung stated on Oct. 10 that it would delay the release of its new smartphone Nexus Prime as a mark of respect for the death of Steve Jobs.

"We believe that the real reason is that both Google Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung are having software and hardware issues respectively with their next generation platform," the analyst said. "Apple will likely be a key beneficiary of any delay."

Demand also remains strong for Macs and iPads in the current December quarter, he add, which is expected to yield shipments of 4.6 million and 12.5 million, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    nice. I was hoping the 4s wasn't his final project.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A complete redesign of Apple's iconic iPhone rumored for an introduction next summer was the last project that Steve Jobs poured his heart and soul into from start to near completion, according to pair of reports.

True

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... " the next-generation iPhone will combine a slimmer profile and larger screen into an enclosure relatively the same width and height as the existing models, according to Rodman & Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar. ...

False
  • Reply 3 of 60
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    It makes me want to buy an extra iPhone 5 and box it away as the last great icon of his time. Just got my white iPhone 4S in the mail and I felt his heart living on in a small way. To me, he didn't just set the standard for products and phones, he set the standard of how a life should be lived and walked out.

I miss seeing him.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.

I suggest iPhone SJ
  • Reply 6 of 60
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

The iPhone 6SJ?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. The iPhone SJ
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

False

You can't say that; we don't know it yet.

You can say, "I won't be buying another iPhone ever again if the screen's larger," but you have to have that 'if' there.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    I'm not sure what if anything the new phone should be called, but it would be nice if there was some sort of remembrance of Steve on it somewhere somehow.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    iPhone4SJ - "iphone for steve jobs" lol
  • Reply 11 of 60
    I think there is some truth to this talk but not complete truth.

yes the iPhone 2012 was likely the last item that Steve was involved in from first design to final. I believe this because it would take roughly 9-12 months for testing etc so that would be starting around now.

I also believe that Steve wasn't that involved in the design of the iPhone 4S during this past year or so because there was less need for it. Not because he knew he could drop dead at any moment.

What I don't believe is the implication that the iPhone 2012 is the last thing Steve touched. That's just not plausible. Products take 3-5 to develop to the point of a first full design. Steve may not have finished a number of products but he likely did start them. And everyone knew where he wanted to go and will go that direction. Out of respect if nothing else
  • Reply 12 of 60
    And don't forget, iOS itself will always have his design influence as the guidelines were created with his input.

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't say that; we don't know it yet.

You can say, "I won't be buying another iPhone ever again if the screen's larger," but you have to have that 'if' there.

Well yes, I don't "really" know either. Or I could have a time machine. You just don't know.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    I'm in for one unless it's just crap. Even if it's mediocre, I can't bring myself to pay the built in subsidy in my voice/data on a phone that is already paid in full and I'll be due for upgrade.

I'm sure it will be a lovely phone...
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well yes, I don't "really" know either. Or I could have a time machine. You just don't know.

If you borrowed Apples time machine, please return it. They still need it to bring back cool new tech from the future.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Here we go again with the rumors. lol
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

And don't forget, iOS itself will always have his design influence as the guidelines were created with his input.

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?
  • Reply 18 of 60
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Man, those Harold and Kumar guys are crazy! Just goes to show you that predicting iPhone futures isn't just for jackass analysts!
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?

You know, all those straight lines and the lack of texture and gradient. ;-)