Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 22 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Rumors about iPhone5... hmmm...

I'd find it more likely if the new chip goes into iPad3 first.

What is a phone going to do with a quad core anyways?

You must have missed this line in the article? "The chip is expected to debut in the first half of 2012 in a new third-generation iPad from Apple."
  • Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Rumors about iPhone5... hmmm...

I'd find it more likely if the new chip goes into iPad3 first.

What is a phone going to do with a quad core anyways?

Mmm... A faster/more core CPU and GPU; more RAM; larger SSD;...

I wonder what Siri could do with a setup like that -- maybe not need help from the cloud as frequently...
  • Reply 24 of 85
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quad core? It's crazy how fast these mobile CPUs are developing.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

Not surprising, given that Samsung already has an advanced and very well-established chip fabrication business. Despite the numerous back-and-forth patent trolling among both companies, the deal is still mutually beneficial to each other so why not?

I keep wondering why Apple doesn't cut a deal with Intel to manufacture its ARM chips.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Don't think Apple will go backwards in dpi.

plus, increasing the screen size but keeping the resolution??? couldn't you get the same effect by holding the phone closer to your face?

what is the point?
  • Reply 27 of 85
    Like it or not, Samsung doesn't need Apple. All Samsung needs is the South Korean government. In the end, Samsung can be losing money for years and won't matter because of government support.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Like it or not, Samsung doesn't need Apple. All Samsung needs is the South Korean government. In the end, Samsung can be losing money for years and won't matter because of government support.

Not being able to sell phones anywhere won't matter due to government support? How much support are they getting?
  • Reply 29 of 85
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Apple will continue to use Samsung's chips in its next-generation iPhone.

These are NOT Samsung's chips. These are chips designed/owned/created by Apple and manufactured by Samsung. Big difference. Apple, therefore, can have any other manufacturer make these chips for them, it's their choice.

Correct me if I am wrong.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    deleted
  • Reply 31 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

It is precisely because they have the freedom to choose any manufacturer that it's noteworthy that their choice is Samsung.

Um??
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Can't we just enjoy the iP4S for now? Why are the iP5 rumors starting already??

On second thought, I heard for a legit source it will record my lectures and take my tests for me.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You think Grandma cares about specs?

Yes I do. Without her specs, it is unlikely grandma could see the screen at all.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Even with the larger screen size, the next iPhone will reportedly have an identical resolution of 960-by-640 pixels.

+1!

If there is one thing I don't need in a larger screen, it's smaller pixels.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

Can't we just enjoy the iP4S for now? Why are the iP5 rumors starting already??

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

These are NOT Samsung's chips. These are chips designed/owned/created by Apple and manufactured by Samsung. Big difference. Apple, therefore, can have any other manufacturer make these chips for them, it's their choice.

Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct although some of the standard libraries might contain Samsung IP, the bigger issue IMO with dual sourcing the A6 at 28NM is Samsung is using Gate First process and TSCM is using Gate Last. This will require two separate design flows, which while not impossible the spacing and design rules would not be the same so I put the rumor in the crazy category. I would expect maybe Samsung does a die shrink on the A5 for the lower end devices if Apple moves to a 2nd design. A6 quad core, A5 plus dual core A9 on 28NM. Apple already has two 45NM designs the A4 & A5, why not two designs for the low & high end.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    jack99jack99 Posts: 157member
    Dunno what the big hullabaloo is about. Jobs may have done a fair amount of posturing against Samsung, and it's true Cook was talking about distancing itself from them, but in the end, pragmatism won out. I won't be surprised if someone here drops another "ZOMGLOLROFLLMAO Apple jumping back in bed with Samsung!!!!" line. But let's face it. TSMC has yet to prove its reliability and Samsung's foundry operations have proven reliable and true to form over time.

I think this was the most rational play Apple could've made. Let's just enjoy the pricing competitiveness this will bring Apple. And if you're a shareholder, you should be rejoicing even more.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    deleted
  • Reply 39 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

...and Samsung is one of Apple's largest suppliers.

There are very few companies in the world with the scope of manufacturing capacity Samsung has.

All the hate-theater that makes up so much of AI's forum postings is disconnected from the complex relationships of the real world.

As I write this, the presidents of both companies are chatting in Cook's office. I hate to break it to the regulars here, but I doubt Cook is beating Lee with a bludgeon.

When it's all said and done, Apple and Samsung will write each other checks and go on to remain partners, and the regulars here will have to migrate their hate to other enemies du jour...

"No, Winston, we are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia..."

MacRulez, what exactly are you expecting from an Apple fan blog? You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who keeps up with news in the business tech world let alone someone who actually works in the manufacturing contracting business. Believe it or not, people here were proposing that Apple just buy up all its competitors and form a monopoly. Luckily, I run across a few posters every now and then who demonstrate an incisiveness knowledge of the issues.

While a lot of these posts are worth reading for the giggles, you'll set yourself up for disappoint if you put others here to a high standard.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Um…?

You really should check the date on that article. It seems kinda old...