MobileMe users experience issues in Apple's transition to iCloud

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjudlin View Post

Hi,

I've got the same problem: I moved my Mobileme account to iCloud but, simultaneously, Apple created a new iCloud account when I set up my iPhone and iPad in ios5.

I believe I solved the problem in "settings" when I deleted my iCloud account issued from Mobileme and set up a new one with the loggin issued by Apple for ios5.

Yet, I do not know whether iDisk still exist in iCloud: I didn't find it.

Thanks for your help there

There is no iDisk in iCloud.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I've had problems since I upgraded to iOS5. Been a MobileMe member for the past few years. They still have not resolved it. Getting frustrated. It's a 24-hour turnaround time to respond to. I'm cutting them some slack since I know they are probably getting hammered right-and-left from all the hoopla, but I expected better.

Problem for me is that some of my apps are tied to my old iTunes Apple ID which I've used for years and I risk losing serious data if I uninstall and reinstall the app.

Come-on Apple, get with the program.

Set one appleID for Settings -> Store. That's for your apps and other iTunes purchases. Set a new iCloud appleID (or your mobile me migrated ID) under the iCloud and iMessage settings. iCloud settings are for identity. "Store" settings are for DRM purchase history.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I thought I was a smart guy. After attempting to wade through this MobileMe-to-iCould transition, I have concluded that I am not a smart guy.

What a fucking mess. They brought this shit upon themselves. To the three of you who successfully made this transition without a single warning/error dialog, kudos.

The whole thing is really unclear. I did successfully transition but I have a fairly simple set-up. I have tried to transition my wife and kids devices and accounts, but its messy. And unclear. There really should be a way of gathering and managing multiple id's. I am stuck at 2nd gen iPod Touches. They have been synced through the house iMac, using my id for purchases but with their own mm id's and emails. These devices are not compatible with IOS5. When I begin the transitioning I am told all the devices need to be upgraded to IOS5. I am sure the basic features will work (email), but what about contacts. Once I begin the process I am told that the addresses will synchronize with the Mac I am working on, but I don't want that as these are separate accounts.

I can't find any instructions anywhere so I am planning on getting a genius appointment.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjudlin View Post

Hi,

I've got the same problem: I moved my Mobileme account to iCloud but, simultaneously, Apple created a new iCloud account when I set up my iPhone and iPad in ios5.

I believe I solved the problem in "settings" when I deleted my iCloud account issued from Mobileme and set up a new one with the loggin issued by Apple for ios5.

Yet, I do not know whether iDisk still exist in iCloud: I didn't find it.

Thanks for your help there

There's no iDisk in iCloud. You didn't really solve the problem, you just did the make-do option.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

I thought I was a smart guy. After attempting to wade through this MobileMe-to-iCould transition, I have concluded that I am not a smart guy.

What a fucking mess. They brought this shit upon themselves. To the three of you who successfully made this transition without a single warning/error dialog, kudos.

I clicked the button, followed the upgrade. No issues. Not sure why anyone would.there's an overlap between two different services. MobileMe isn't morphing into iCloud. Maybe that's the cause of yr confusion. MobileMe != iCloud.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The whole thing is really unclear. I did successfully transition but I have a fairly simple set-up. I have tried to transition my wife and kids devices and accounts, but its messy. And unclear. There really should be a way of gathering and managing multiple id's.

That's the whole point. It should be clear and simple, it's not. I have given up listening to defenders of Apple round here, they don't care what your point is, they just think Apple can do no wrong. It's rather sad actually.

Like the time I said the Air was great but the trap-door on the side was bad design, I was called a troll by practically everyone around here - then the new Air came out and the door was gone and the design was exactly like what I said in my post. Most of the idiots around here can't even think for themselves.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    I allowed MobileMe to convert to iCloud. No issues.

Before I did anything, I sync'd my iPhone and iPad to iCal and Contacts.

I decided to only use my converted MobileMe account for MobileMe mail and notes. All my calendar, contacts, apps, services will go through my iTunes iCloud account. From here on, MobileMe means converted MobileMe account to iCloud.

Contacts were easy to migrate. I just deleted my MobileMe account from my iPhone and iPad and deleted all contacts and calendars from those devices.

On my mac, when I disabled contacts from MobileMe, it asked if I wanted a copy saved locally. I chose Yes. In iCal, I clicked on Calendars in the upper left corner, right clicked on each calendar, and backed it up as an ICS to my Documents folder. Then I unchecked Calendar sync from MobileMe. That cleared my Calendars. I then Enabled Calendars and Contacts in iCloud. It asked if it should merge each, and I said Yes. Then I went to iCloud and restored each calendar to the new iCal configuration.

Pain in the butt, but its all sync'd and works fine now. Only Mail and Notes can't be synced to your iTunes account.

"It Just Works" just didn't in this case, but it wasn't a show stopper.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    I have a similar problem that apple support hasn't been able to fix for me either. my iTunes purchase apple id is myname. My iCloud account is [email protected]. In the process of trying to fix something I changed the myname's account primary email to something different and now it won't let me change it back because they say [email protected] is another apple id now. So now I can't get my purchase receipts or apple store purchases to my me.com email address! How dumb!
  • Reply 49 of 95
    I have a family account with 5 email addresses (.mac and .me). The purchases from iTunes, App store etc. were done with a separate Apple-id shared by all family members.

The transition was as follows:

1. install all software updates on all devices (Mac, iOS)

2. login on MobileMe on your Mac, then you are forced to login on iCloud for the transition.

3. Then change the Apple-id in the Store or iTunes settings to the Apple-id with which the purchases were done.

So the situation is now you have your .mac email adres as Apple-id for your iCloud stuff (mail etc.). The iTunes section is linked to the Apple-id which you used to purchase stuff.

This works for all family members. So everybody has its own iCloud services with own email adress. At the same time all family members share all purchases (apps, music, films, books etc.)

For me it worked perfectly so far.....
  • Reply 50 of 95
    It seems to be the long term Apple users who are most affected here. I have multiple AppleIDs accross various countries (I moved around a lot) and a MobileMe account. I had to choose one AppleID and sacrifice the MobileMe account as well. Lots of emails lost! Many of the older AppleIDs I no longer have access to the email accounts and so cannot validate.

I can understand there might be problems with the labels when it comes to music bought with multiple AppleIDs trying to merge, but if you haven't bought any music with a MM associated AppleID, what is the problem there?
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Many MobileMe users (including myself), after migrating to iCloud, decided to stick to their @me account as their primary email

or as their "universal/unified" ID for services like FaceTime, iMessage, iChat, etc...

Yesterday, when I went to appleid.apple.com to change my primary Apple ID email from an ancient @hotmail to @me

I was unable to do so, because it was (shockingly) linked to another Apple ID! :-(

I wasn't even able to add @me as a secondary email, which was very frustrating.

I found that really annoying, because I never wanted to have 2 different Apple IDs

and I've been using @me for emails, FaceTime, iChat, etc. for a very long time now and I simply love my @me address.

Also, after I gave up with appleid.apple.com I tried to add my @me as my primary address for Mac FaceTime

just to check if I can still use it as my primary username but it wouldn't let me authorise the email

as there was a conflict with @hotmail ID!

Then I quickly tried the same thing with FaceTime on my iPhone but this wouldn't work either!

Find My Friends also wouldn't work with @me, so I had to set it up with my old @hotmail Apple ID - which was soooo annoying!!!

None of my friends know my @hotmail email address, I don't want people to use it or even know it

cos I only use it for subscriptions and other stuff like iTunes account, so I barely check it, etc...

I just simply wanted to have ONE FREAKING APPLE ID that linked to my MobileMe email!

But, something happened today, which made me realise that Apple didn't actually mess things up...

Just now, after seeing this blog, I decided to give it a go and sign in to my Mac FaceTime with the @me ID

and miraculously - it worked!

Then, I checked my iPhone's FaceTime and Find My Friends with @me logins, and they both worked too!!!!

Important note though - I have asked my housemate (who I shared a MobileMe family pack with and who had the same nightmare with two annoying IDs) to try to log in to his FaceTime with his @me but his iPhone or Mac still wouldn't let him do it! Find My Friends app also wouldn't let him use his @me, where mine didn't have any problems!

This made me think that maybe because of the amount of iCloud subscriptions - the overloaded servers didn't allow me to sign in

or maybe Apple is now working on the fix. Because otherwise, why can I use @me for iMessage, FaceTime and other stuff and my Housemate still can't?

THEN, I was thinking about people worrying about re-purchasing of previously bought iTunes items....

I don't know where did the idea come from though, because my iTunes is still signed it to my old @hotmail Apple ID

but because my Mac and my iPhone are set up with the same iCloud @me account - everything works as it should

and I didn't have to re-download anything.

After a day and night of struggle to understand it all, now IT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE NOW!

APPLE DIDN'T (FULLY) MESS UP!!!

Imagine a family of 3 and everyone shares the same iTunes account - let's call it @gmail.com.

Dad is listening to rock, mum - pop, and daughter is a Bieber fan.

Dad has a MacBoook Pro and an iPhone, mum has an iMac and an iPad, and daughter - a white MacBook and an iPod Touch.

Parents have a MobileMe emails: [email protected] and [email protected] but the daughter doesn't have one.

Here coms iOS 5 and iCloud.

Parents migrate their @me accounts to iCloud and set it up on their computers and iOS devices,

daughter is forced to set up @me account in order to have iCloud and then sets it up on her white MacBook and the iPod Touch.

Now, when dad buys a new rock album on his MacBook Pro, iCloud will push it to his Phone.

When mum buys the new album of Michael Buble, iCloud will push it to her iPad,

and when the daughter takes some pictures at Bieber's concert, iCloud will push the to her white MacBook.

So now, everyone can log in to their FaceTimes, iMessages, Find My Friends etc... with their individual @me (iCloud) email addresses

and they can still carry on sharing @gmail.com Apple ID as their iTunes purchasing account.

And they live happily ever after...
  • Reply 52 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I kind of resent the way this article spins these problems as, well ... problems, when in fact Apple has been clear from day one that you can't merge your Apple ID's into iCloud.

It's unfortunate, but it's not a "problem" per se (one that has a possible fix), it's the way it's supposed to work and the way it's advertised to work. They may provide a method for merging ID's in future or they may not. Too bad for those that don't understand how these things work.

It's also arguably very dumb of users not to see this coming. How many sites or services or email providers of any kind allow you to use multiple ID's to access the service and yet be the same person? Almost none. Aliases yes, multiple accounts, generally not.

It's a big problem.

For example, years ago I set up my apple id as my gmail.com email address since Apple didn't have a free email service yet. Now when icloud came out it had me log in with my current apple id and then i created a me.com email address. Now my me.com address is linked to my apple id under my gmail.com address. I cannot delete the gmail.com apple ID (as I want to completely stop using gmail and move to me.com) eventhough my me.com email address lets me log in to itunes...but it continues to show my gmail address.

The problem is anytime you create a me.com email address it automatically is an apple id, something that shouldn't be and I didn't know until it was too late.

I want to drop gmail but cannot as it will forever be linked as my apple id and primary email address to all my itunes purchases I made prior to apple coming out with a free email service of their own.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I kind of resent the way this article spins these problems as, well ... problems, when in fact Apple has been clear from day one that you can't merge your Apple ID's into iCloud.

It's unfortunate, but it's not a "problem" per se (one that has a possible fix), it's the way it's supposed to work and the way it's advertised to work. They may provide a method for merging ID's in future or they may not. Too bad for those that don't understand how these things work.

It's also arguably very dumb of users not to see this coming. How many sites or services or email providers of any kind allow you to use multiple ID's to access the service and yet be the same person? Almost none. Aliases yes, multiple accounts, generally not.

@Prof.

This is very inconsiderate to all those older Apple account holders who through no fault of their own ended up with two AppleIDs, one at iTunes and one at MobileMe.

If you were using iTunes from the beginning before MobileMe or .Mac existed, your account user name wasn't required to be a full email address and it was not understood to be an AppleId at the time. After .Mac arrived, and if you became a member like I did, you probably used your iTunes account user name to register for the service and that username became a full email address and unknowingly became a new AppleID, but iTunes didn't acknowledge or allow a merge, mainly because it wasn't necessary when their were no Apps stores or iOS syncing at iTunes.

This was Apples oversight by not merging the accounts when they created .Mac, MobileMe, and now iCloud. I tried to merge these two AppleIDs long before iCloud was even known to the public and even when iOS was in its infancy. The problem is iTunes would not allow me to change my username, which became a AppleID automatically, to its full email address because that address was the primary email address for my iTunes BUT also another AppleID.

Over the years since this problem arose, purchase histories for equipment at Apple Online Store, Apple forum usage, and developer registrations became separated from iTunes purchase histories and has become a big problem then and it's even worse now since iCloud wants to sync everything.

How's that my fault and why do you believe Apple isn't culpable and should rectify the problem?
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:

Thanks. I'll take the kudos but only after explanation.

On the MBP I inadvertently enter my iTunes ID and it created a new account, which of course didnt synch anything. I logged out and entered my MobileMe ID and voila! I had my bookmarks, contacts, calendar and email. Same with all other idevices.

Going to my iTunes account on all my devices and re-entering my iTunes ID took me to my accounts for music, books, apps and I was able to bring down whatever I wanted.

It's confusing and it's a pain in the ass but once you understand that your MobileMe ID is for iCloud only and iTunes ID is for iTunes only, then you should be set.

I advise going to each login area and logging back in with the correct ID.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    When I set up a family account couple of years ago and integrated my wife I erroneously gave her an MobileMe ID ending with @me.at instead @me.com. But obviously this ID was never verified by email. I just found out this summer that her iTunes ID is [email protected] instead of @me.com after I purchased her an iPhone4 (as upgrade to her 3G) and set it up . This @me.at ID was used only with iTunes, but she also never got email receipts. Because an email address ending with @me.at is not a valid one (it's not possible to have a domain name me.at because it requires a minimum of 3 letters in combination with .at. She has also the same name as Apple ID ending with @me.com (which she uses for email). She never would have been able to receive a verification email to an address ending on @me.at.

Most apps for the iPhone where purchased using her @me.at ID. So, it would not be much of a problem to repurchase free apps with her @me.com ID, but payed ones she would have to purchase again to move it to her @me.com ID.

So, merging her two IDs into one would be a nice possibility and get things right.
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

@Prof.

This is very inconsiderate to all those older Apple account holders who through no fault of their own ended up with two AppleIDs, one at iTunes and one at MobileMe.

If you were using iTunes from the beginning before MobileMe or .Mac existed, your account user name wasn't required to be a full email address and it was not understood to be an AppleId at the time. After .Mac arrived, and if you became a member like I did, you probably used your iTunes account user name to register for the service and that username became a full email address and unknowingly became a new AppleID, but iTunes didn't acknowledge or allow a merge, mainly because it wasn't necessary when their were no Apps stores or iOS syncing at iTunes.

This was Apples oversight by not merging the accounts when they created .Mac, MobileMe, and now iCloud. I tried to merge these two AppleIDs long before iCloud was even known to the public and even when iOS was in its infancy. The problem is iTunes would not allow me to change my username, which became a AppleID automatically, to its full email address because that address was the primary email address for my iTunes BUT also another AppleID.

Over the years since this problem arose, purchase histories for equipment at Apple Online Store, Apple forum usage, and developer registrations became separated from iTunes purchase histories and has become a big problem then and it's even worse now since iCloud wants to sync everything.

How's that my fault and why do you believe Apple isn't culpable and should rectify the problem?

That's a nice summary of history of having multiple IDs. I forgot all these details...
  • Reply 57 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I've got two iCloud account, one linked to my iTunes store and one to my MobileMe account.

I need some sort of control panel so I can merge the accounts and split off "users" with their own contacts, calendars photo's etc.

Photostream also needs more granular control over which photo's show up on which devices, maybe an option to mark some photo's as private or folders with different sharing privileges.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

agree that account merge would work well for many;

but your comment saying you cannot use the same primary email address identified on both is not correct (for me anyway); I use my [email protected] (now iCloud) address for both iTunes and iCloud- have for years

ken

Are you sure. According to Tim Cook that is impossible...
  • Reply 59 of 95
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    I believe the main issue here is that people were creating Apple ID accounts that either they were unaware were AppleID's or the accounts eventually turned into AppleID's down the road.

That's what happened with me. My AppleID goes way back to before MobileMe existed. It has all my iTunes purchases etc. and is tied to the Mac Store and Apple Discussions forums among other things. When MobileMe came out, I opened an account, got a me.com email address and altered my AppleID so the ID was just my full name and the email address associated was me.com. This is back when Apple would allow non-email for the ID name.

Fast forward years later to the iCloud transition week and I went to try out "Find My Friends" - it says you need an iCloud account, so I went online to convert my MobileMe account to iCloud. I went back to Find My Friends, and it tells me that AppleID can't be used because the email address hasn't been verified. So suddenly I'm thinking: when did a MobileMe account become an AppleID?

I logged into the AppleID site, and I found it REAL DUMB to see that my former MobileMe ID name is the exact same as the email associated with it, and yet Apple never saw fit to see it as verified when I first opened the MobileMe account! So I click to verify it... and it can't be done because it's already verified with my ORIGINAL AppleID!

The only way I could find around this was to create a free Hotmail email to associate with my original AppleID, thus releasing my me.com address for verification for iCloud. I did this, but with the me.com address seemingly freed, I went to verify it with iCloud and it STILL said it was verified with another AppleID.

Now I tried to verify over and over and in about 1 day it eventually verified on it's own without any interaction from me (strange). But I want to know why, if Apple says we can use 2 AppleIDs, why can't they both have the same email address associated with them if they see the same person is using them? Why must I have a separate email address for it?

I could try converting my original AppleID into iCloud and transfer my MobileMe data over but I would lose my email address...

Of course the real solution is to merge the 2 accounts.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcir1129 View Post

Are you sure. According to Tim Cook that is impossible...

I also have had my MobileMe email address as primary addresses under both iTunes and MobileMe, and these accounts use different AppleIDs. It is absolutely possible.